Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-04-2007, 10:09 PM   #61
exvaxman
Connoisseur
exvaxman began at the beginning.

updated firmware and other issues

Updated the firmware with no problems.
I had been using 2 GB SD cards, but with the upgrade "supposed" to be handling 4 GB memory sticks, I was excited and didn't want to wait - went to Best Lie which unfortunatly is what we have in my town for what they said they had in stock - an 8GB memory stick pro duo with adapter for $160. Found a 4GB with adapter for $40 on their closeout area. Have 1.5 GB loaded now, no issues, and will try for more tomorrow. Others may want to check their local stores for deals.

I did have a 4gb SD card that did work - not one of the newer HD types - there was a release of non HD (or whatever they are calling the new standard) SD cards that standard SD devices on recent vintage were supposed to be able to use. I did not load more than a couple of gig to it due to the fact that it was meant for one of my cameras and I didn't want to use it in the Sony. Check newegg.com for any memory cards you need. Only once out of perhaps 50 orders have I ever gotten bad service from them.

On the issue of open source - so long as the Kinoma crap is involved, it will not happen. Blame them for the late release and initial issues.
exvaxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 05:35 AM   #62
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3, Sony PRS350, iPad 64GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by exvaxman View Post
Updated the firmware with no problems.
I had been using 2 GB SD cards, but with the upgrade "supposed" to be handling 4 GB memory sticks, I was excited and didn't want to wait - went to Best Lie which unfortunatly is what we have in my town for what they said they had in stock - an 8GB memory stick pro duo with adapter for $160. Found a 4GB with adapter for $40 on their closeout area. Have 1.5 GB loaded now, no issues, and will try for more tomorrow. Others may want to check their local stores for deals.

I did have a 4gb SD card that did work - not one of the newer HD types - there was a release of non HD (or whatever they are calling the new standard) SD cards that standard SD devices on recent vintage were supposed to be able to use. I did not load more than a couple of gig to it due to the fact that it was meant for one of my cameras and I didn't want to use it in the Sony. Check newegg.com for any memory cards you need. Only once out of perhaps 50 orders have I ever gotten bad service from them.

On the issue of open source - so long as the Kinoma crap is involved, it will not happen. Blame them for the late release and initial issues.
the problem occurs when you're trying to load more than 2Gb. The first 2 GB is no problem
athlonkmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-06-2007, 05:27 PM   #63
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Has anyone yet had the battery meter drop down to less then 4 bars since the firmware update? I have mine still at 4 bars and I'm waiting for it to drop so I can charge it to test if it's fixed.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 06:34 PM   #64
LaughingVulcan
Technophile
LaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-650 Sony, Nook Simpletouch, more legacy gear than I can remember
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Has anyone yet had the battery meter drop down to less then 4 bars since the firmware update? I have mine still at 4 bars and I'm waiting for it to drop so I can charge it to test if it's fixed.
Yes. My new unit (firmware upgraded the day I got it,) is at 2 bars right now, that's after 1 charge right after I received the unit. I know I've gotten a lot more page turns out of it (and a couple of connections to Connect) since the new upgrade. While only time will really tell, my first impression is that it is indeed fixed.

And I noticed in the last Connect "new releases" email that it's got a banner with a link directing people with battery level display problems to the new firmware update.
LaughingVulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 10:42 PM   #65
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Tonight sometime, my Reader dropped to three bars. So sometime this week, I'll be giving it a charge to test the new firmware.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-06-2007, 11:13 PM   #66
Akumag2
Enthusiast
Akumag2 began at the beginning.

Another easy update here, well easy for the reader itself, the popups on the PC when it said it was done crashed and I had to power off but I think thats a problem with my pc as it is acting up a lot lately.

I dont know what all the complaints are about the reader, I love mine, Sony I dont like so much anymore but at least they have replaced things that have broken for no reason (like Ive had 4 2GB pro duos that just died).

I purchased the reader to read eBooks, what does my reader do, shows eBooks. Good that was the only reason I purchased it. I already have a sony mp3 player, I have a zen vision w for video, I have a tv & a pc for tv shows and a phone for phone calls. My reader doesnt need to do anything else. Have I had a problem with the reader? no not really, I left it on in the hot sun whilst sun bathing and when I went indoors it was burning hot and the text faded so I could barely see it, I just changed pages and changed back and presto I can read a nice dark text again.
Are pdf's poop on the reader, hell yeah they are, tried reading of the for dummies on the reader, that sucks, but the reader was mean for fiction. I could use a pdf to reader formate converter but I carnt be arsed have the book anyway.

The reader does what it is supposed to do, let you read books, anything else is a bonus as far as I'm concerned.
I updated it only cos I was prompted to what I purchased a new book and went to synch it to the reader. I dont want a clock on it, personally I think that would drain the battery having to refresh the clock every second, I wear a watch, if I want to know the time I look at my watch.

Love the reader for what it is not what it isnt, you read the description when you brought it and you paid a lot for it so Im really hoping you read about it first, otherwise thats your own fault. I was going to buy the sony libre but then found out there was an english sony reader out already, ok it doesnt let you write in the margins like the sony libre but I dont scribble in my books anyway.

The reader is a lovely thing.

I at least am a happy customer.
Akumag2 is offline   Reply With Quote