sammykrupa
Reader of the Reader
sammykrupa doesn't littersammykrupa doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
eBook Management software

Here is a very nice book tracking application for Mac OS X:

http://books.aetherial.net/wordpress/

It is free and open software, runs VERY fast, and it is free (-:

It has the ability to auto-import books based on Amazon.com data, and you can attach files to the book entries.

The two features it is missing:

-Support for Sony Reader and Connect eBooks

-Auto-generation of RSS Feed PDF's (-:

Anyone want to get cracking? I would, but I am a Java man.
sammykrupa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 02:09 AM   #2
ultim8fury
Addict
ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS500, Looking at 700
I had a play with it the other day just to see if it did what I wanted. It doesn't.

Adding books to the library takes ages. Multiple file additions aren't possible if you want it done properly.

That said, it's not far off. It needs stripping down to lose the extraneous features and streamlining the features that are there but aren't currently the focus of the application.

Although not free, I think BookPedia might make a better starting point. I prefer it's familiar iTunes like interface and it has a lot of the features I would want in an application of this type. I'm messing with a demo of it at the minute just to get a feel for it. It has the same limitation of books in that items have to be added individually which is going to be a common theme among existing applications since none of them cater exclusively to ebook management.

More thoughts in a future post.....
ultim8fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 02:55 AM   #3
William Moates
Zealot
William Moates began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Librie / Sony Clie / Sony Reader
My choice of p-book management software is ReaderWare: http://www.readerware.com/
It's really easy to add books, I can download my catalog onto my Palm, I can add my own custom fields, and it has powerful search/sort capabilities. I don't know how it handles e-books, though. Do e-books get ISBNs?
William Moates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 07:33 PM   #4
acemccloudxx
Java Master
acemccloudxx doesn't litteracemccloudxx doesn't litter

Device: PRS-505
There are many tools that can convert or manage content, but none with the features that I really want.

I've done a bit of Java but we are talking about a fair bit of work.

Ace
acemccloudxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 07:42 AM   #5
catejackit
catejackit began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Hello,
We are developing an integration utility to connect our ebook management software with Sony Reader. Could you please advise, what features are needed for such a tool, besides syncing the Reader folders with folders on hard drive?
Thanks, Jack
catejackit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 01:30 PM   #6
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Which is your ebook management software?

The most important feature would be the ability to read the meta data from the ebook, even DRM'ed books if possible. If I have to type in the info for each book, I probably won't use it.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 06:14 AM   #7
catejackit

pwalker8, sorry for the delay, and thanks for your advice
Our software is Alfa Ebook Manager and it already can extract ebook metadata, but it's the universal feature not only for Sony Reader users. If you can advise any specific feature for Sony Reader book management, it will be great
Old 08-02-2009, 07:01 AM   #8
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by catejackit View Post
Our software is Alfa Ebook Manager and it already can extract ebook metadata, but it's the universal feature not only for Sony Reader users. If you can advise any specific feature for Sony Reader book management, it will be great
Can you specify a certain format for AlfaEbook software to look for? I have many books in many different formats but use a Sony 505. I'd like to make a single simple list of books just in that format, or just in .lit format, etc. rather than have all the books formats together in one list. Can this be done with your software as it is?

(By the way, it looks like a very nice package already! )

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 09:17 AM   #9
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Ah, ok. You are a windows only program? Unfortunate.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 02:07 AM   #10
catejackit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
Can you specify a certain format for AlfaEbook software to look for?
it works with any ebook format, as it's an ebook management software, rather then ebook reading software

Quote:
I'd like to make a single simple list of books just in that format, or just in .lit format, etc. rather than have all the books formats together in one list. Can this be done with your software as it is?
Thanks for this note. It's very helpful. The software can't do it right now, but we certainly add a possibility to transform ebook formats

Quote:
(By the way, it looks like a very nice package already! )
Thanks again for your kind response
Old 08-03-2009, 03:41 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Hello,
We are developing an integration utility to connect our ebook management software with Sony Reader. Could you please advise, what features are needed for such a tool, besides syncing the Reader folders with folders on hard drive?
Thanks, Jack
Collection management, LRF/LRX pre-pagination, auto-sync that works well, works with the 500, 505, 700, 300, 600, and the ability to change the metadata.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 03:45 AM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Can the website actually have screen shots we can actually be able to read please?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 04:33 AM   #13
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
it works with any ebook format, as it's an ebook management software, rather then ebook reading software

Thanks for this note. It's very helpful. The software can't do it right now, but we certainly add a possibility to transform ebook formats
I guess I didn't make myself clear in my first post. I want to know if your software can discriminate between formats, not transform them. Right now my book collection contains books in all the various formats. I use a very good conversion program written by one of our members, called "Calibre." It does an excellent job of converting different formats into ones that my Sony 505 can use. However, it is not a management program.

I would be interested in your software if it can make a list of all my .pdf files, then another list of all my .lit files, another list of just my .txt files, etc. Can your software do this now? If not, would you be interested in adding this feature to it?
Thanks.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 09:27 AM   #14
catejackit

Quote:
Collection management, LRF/LRX pre-pagination, auto-sync that works well, works with the 500, 505, 700, 300, 600, and the ability to change the metadata.
thanks for this note, Jon

Quote:
Can the website actually have screen shots we can actually be able to read please?
there are a dozen of screenshots in the Features section.

Quote:
I would be interested in your software if it can make a list of all my .pdf files, then another list of all my .lit files, another list of just my .txt files, etc. Can your software do this now?
right now the software can scan any computer folder for ebook files and you can select the file type to search. for example first you can scan for .pdf files, then for .txt files and add them to the database separately. Then you can move each list to a separate folder. But the software can't filter ebooks by file type when they are already in the database. We will consider this feature for the next version.
Old 08-04-2009, 03:18 PM   #15
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
Quote:
Start with Mac support. Without that, your program is a complete non-starter for me.

Xenophon
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote