Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-31-2009, 10:07 AM   #1
BrianG
BrianG began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Sync Library on two computers

Hello. My home computer stays on 24/7, so I have set up my scheduled Calibre news feeds there (about 20). I have configured the schedules to load new content every morning.

There are times when I'm away from home with only my work laptop (along with my Kindle). I'm trying to figure out whether it's possible to sync the content of my library on both computers so that I can download the latest news even when I am on the road (without having to generate it with a separate instance of Calibre).

I moved my home Calibre library to DropBox, and this seems to work without issue. The content itself is now synced in a DropBox folder. I now theoretically have access to my home Calibre content on my work computer.

I'm extremely hesitant to install calibre on my work computer and point the directory to the DropBox folder. It would be a mistake to point two installations of Calibre into the same directory, correct?

So ... I'm looking for ideas.

Is there an easy way for me to import the new content into a completely separate instance of Calibre on my work computer?

Is there an easy way for me to identify and just drag/drop my new content into my Kindle when I am connected with USB (looks like the folder structure might present a bit of a problem)?

Any ideas would be appreciated.

thanks,
Brian
BrianG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 11:29 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
you can run two instances of the same directory as long as you make sure they are the same version and you dont run them simultaneously.

The solution I use if to use unison to sync the directories between multiple computers. Simply have a special shortcut to launch calibre that runs unison first.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2009, 11:45 AM   #3
Baumi
Connoisseur
Baumi has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Baumi has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Baumi has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle DXG, Cybook G3
I have both my desktop an laptop pointed to the calibre folder on DropBox and it works like a charm.

Things to watch out for: Don't use both instances at the same time, make sure you update versions on both systems simultaneously, and give DropBox time to sync changes back to the cloud after modifying the library on one computer.

In my case, I find it easy to live with these limitations (and if I should ever screw up, there's always DropBox' built-in backup :-) ), but I don't know if they're more problematic for you.
Baumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 05:20 AM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianG View Post
I'm extremely hesitant to install calibre on my work computer and point the directory to the DropBox folder. It would be a mistake to point two installations of Calibre into the same directory, correct?
I have both my library and the Calibre program in my dropbox.

The only thing I do special is exit Dropbox when I am updating Calibre. After the update is complete I activate Dropbox again. I haven't set any special bat file to start up Calibre so the preferences are stored locally.

It works like a charm. I also run portableapps from the dropbox. This allows me to have the exact same browser, (Firefox) bookmarks, history, extentions on my work and home machines. It also stops my family from screwing up my browser since they know to exit my browser and start the local one.

Happy New Year!
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 05:30 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You can use Microsoft's free "SyncToy" tool to easily keep two folders in sync. Assuming your two computers are networked, it works beautifully across a network.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2010, 05:24 AM   #6
moriakaice
Memento Mori
moriakaice began at the beginning.

Device: eClicto, iPad WiFi, Kindle 3 WiFi
Is there any chance that we'll see implementation of some sync service in calibre? So that we could just put our login and password and calibre would do the magic for us
moriakaice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 10:38 AM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Yeah, its on the todo list.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 03:15 PM   #8
moriakaice
Memento Mori
moriakaice began at the beginning.

Device: eClicto, iPad WiFi, Kindle 3 WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Yeah, its on the todo list.
I'm really glad to hear that! Thanks!
moriakaice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 06:59 PM   #9
beartard
Minister of Linux
beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: nook, T-Mobile MyTouch 3G Slide
If you happen to use Ubuntu Linux, the latest version includes its own, free, dropbox-esque mobile backup called UbuntuOne. It seems to work well between my laptop and desktop since I'm on the road most of the week for work, yet do most of my ebook management at home on the weekends.
beartard is offline   Reply With Quote