Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRiver Story

Notices

Old 06-06-2012, 07:49 AM   #1
emvie
emvie began at the beginning.

Device: Iriver Cover Story
Semi frozen Cover Story

Hi,

I have a major problem with my Cover Story that I've enjoyed for little more than a year now. I can open and read the books displayed on the first page, but as soon as I try to access my library (or try any other option like bookmarks, series, my foler etc) it freezes.
My main concern is that when trying to fix this with a firware update I discovered that the Cover Story freezes when I try to plug it to the computer. I don't get the menu option where I can choose to recharge or connect, which basically means I'm fucked, right?

ANY hints on what to do is GREATLY appreciated!
/Emvie
emvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 04:40 PM   #2
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Well, unlike the Story HD, the Cover Story has a recovery mechanism that works off SD card, and iriver has cover story remedy files on their homepage. If your device is already nigh unusable now (because it does not select you new books) it probably couldn't hurt to try those. Although they're intended to fix readers which are no longer booting, maybe it'll do something for you too...

In THEORY the cover story's recovery mechanism could also be used for other things but, I don't have a Cover Story, and I don't know the cover story's firmware at all, so...

I do wish they'd done the same for the Story HD though. Instead lots of people had to return readers to service (because they were bricked using firmware files provided by iriver... and they're still offering those for download). iriver is a tad unprofessional there.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-06-2012, 04:51 PM   #3
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Also, did you reboot/reset it already?
Old 06-08-2012, 05:07 AM   #4
emvie
emvie began at the beginning.

Device: Iriver Cover Story
Thanks for the info Frostschutz, I'll try that. And yes, I have rebooted/reset the reader several times in order to shut it down but it still acts up.

Perhaps it's time to invest in a new reader. Thinking about the Sony PRS-T1. Do you know anything about it?
emvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 07:09 AM   #5
frostschutz
Linux User

Quote:
Originally Posted by emvie View Post
Perhaps it's time to invest in a new reader.
Well if you can't get it back in working order, you'll probably have no other choice unless iriver service will fix it for you for a smallish fee
Advert

Tags
cover story, freeze, problem