Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-13-2012, 12:25 PM   #16
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Amazon's support is pretty amazing. They have a habit of doing things like this. Do let us know what arrives .
Kindle support is pretty amazing. I've had mixed results with Amazon and Audible to the point that both are on my "Do Not Buy From" list.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 01:17 PM   #17
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK3G, KPW1, Sony PRST1, Sony PRS350, iPod Touch 5G
Quote:
Originally Posted by abookreader View Post
That's great news Mike.

Those glass screens are funny like that. I've knocked mine off the top of a refrigerator to a tile floor and had no damage at all ..... then one day I carefully set it on the table by the couch in it's cover and came back to see a broken screen. It's like the gremlins just decide when to attack or something.
Something very similar happened to mine. I dropped my Wi-Fi KK face down on a linoleum-covered floor. Although it was in a cover, it flipped OPEN on the way down. SMACK! I picked it up, expecting a mess. It looked fine. I used it with no problem at all. Three months later, I opened it and discovered the tell-tale sign of the cracked screen..a mangled screensaver that wouldn't go away. It hadn't had any hits since I had dropped it three months earlier. Go figure.
TimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-13-2012, 01:20 PM   #18
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Sometimes stress fractures can "lurk" within glass for days, weeks, or even months, and then the tiniest shock can "trigger" them. You often see the same with car windscreens - a tiny dint in the glass will stay "inert" for months and then one day you go over a little bump in the road and wham! - it spreads into a network of cracks.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 01:26 PM   #19
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK3G, KPW1, Sony PRST1, Sony PRS350, iPod Touch 5G
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Sometimes stress fractures can "lurk" within glass for days, weeks, or even months, and then the tiniest shock can "trigger" them. You often see the same with car windscreens - a tiny dint in the glass will stay "inert" for months and then one day you go over a little bump in the road and wham! - it spreads into a network of cracks.
I had a suspicion...que sera sera. It was 18 months old and out of warranty but Amazon offered me a $65 refurb. I decided to decline the offer and got a new 3G KK SO for $139. I'm very pleased with it.
TimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 02:41 PM   #20
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?
howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro 10.5”, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
I suppose the official Amazon covers are part of the problem. While they are thick enough to prevent scratches and the like, they aren't padded enough to absorb shock.
howyoudoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-13-2012, 04:50 PM   #21
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by howyoudoin View Post
I suppose the official Amazon covers are part of the problem. While they are thick enough to prevent scratches and the like, they aren't padded enough to absorb shock.
I must beg to differ. A few months ago my K3 in its Amazon lighted leather case fell off a chest-high bridge parapet (where I'd stupidly put it while taking a photograph) about 5 feet onto cement paving. It bounced on its edge, and I picked it up, absolutely certain that the screen would be shattered into 1000 fragments. The only damage was a dent about 2mm wide and 1mm in depth on the outer edge of the plastic bezel. The screen was absolutely undamaged. The leather case did a wonderful job of absorbing a pretty extreme impact in that case!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 06:53 PM   #22
Bricorn
Addict
Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG
Have to agree, dropped my DXG in it's Amazon folder-type case at the top of a flight of stairs and watched it tumble & bounce aaaallllllll the way down. No damage at all. (wipes brow)
Bricorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 09:59 AM   #23
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Another update ...

I got back from the shops this morning, and waiting on the doormat was a brand new Kindle.

As others have so often said, Amazon's customer service is exceptional. Despite the fact that my previous Kindle was three years old, they were happy to replace it. What's more, it was Amazon UK that replaced it, even though I bought the original one from Amazon in the US.

I must say it's very nice to have an up-to-date model, with many of the features that I hear folk in this forum discuss but which were unavailable to me (not the least of which is a wireless connection, which I had never had in the UK because it was a US-only device).

My only (very minor) regret is that my old cover doesn't fit the new model. But that's a small inconvenience, all things considered.

Mike
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 10:40 AM   #24
RDaneel54
Aging Positronic Brain
RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Oasis; iPhone, iPad Mini
What a happy ending!
RDaneel54 is offline   Reply With Quote