Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-01-2007, 08:55 PM   #16
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
That IMG is the filesystem image with standard fonts replaced by Russian ones. As there is no official updater out for 505, there's no way to unbrick the Reader if you screw up (a few people did, including me). So please don't try to modify it if you you're not intimate with Reader internals.
Can the regular IMG file be substituted for this one before flashing to retain an English filesystem (menus, etc.?) while allowing proper display of Russian books? Is the 'standard' IMG file (for an English system) available?

More importantly, how likely is it to brick the 505 by simply putting the files on an SD card and flashing?
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 05:23 AM   #17
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
The menus are never translated. Only fonts are updated.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-02-2007, 02:34 PM   #18
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Thx again.I was a bit misled by the eBay photos, which showed a full screen of book titles all in Cyrillic. I thought the menus were translated as well.

If the above flashing directions are followed carefully, is a 505 still likely to be bricked? Did you do something different with yours?
Old 12-02-2007, 02:48 PM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If you brick the 505, there is no firmware to reflash to get it back.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 04:17 PM   #20
hamh
Connoisseur
hamh began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone 3G / Milestone / 505 / iPad 3G
i wonder if there will be much difficult to replace the russion font to chinese font. Can someone who has successfully modify the 505 help?
hamh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-04-2007, 07:11 PM   #21
DrMoze
Booknut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mihail View Post
If you want to add support to PRS-500, let me know the version, and I'll post the instructions here.
My PRS500 (which I hope to Russify soon) is version 1.0.03.07170. Can you post a how-to for this Reader? (Using the SD flasher.) Thanks!
Old 12-06-2007, 06:06 PM   #22
moneytoo
Enthusiast
moneytoo began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
The readme for PRS500 says following:
Code:
  Put any files you want to add/replace in /opt to the /files
  directory. E.g. if you want to replace the stock fonts, put the following
  files in the /files/opt/sony/ebook/FONT directory:

tt0003m_.ttf for Swiss721 BT Roman
    tt0011m_.ttf for Dutch801 Rm BT Roman
    tt0419m_.ttf for Courier10 BT Roman

You should edit yout .ttf files to have these exact font names, as most of
  the LRFs use them.
Anyone knows if I can use it with 505 or have to create new image? (I just need to replace the font to support my language)
moneytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 08:20 PM   #23
Jeeves
Jeeves has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: PRS 505
Exactly what I wanted to ask. I don't want to change menus /make them Cyrillic/, I just want the PRS 505 to support cyrillic fonts for cyrillic texts. Everything else should stay like it is.
So do I need to flash the device, or I can just add some cyrillic font? And if it is possible, PLEASE somebody tell me how?
I read a lot of threads /including the Russian e-book forum, though I am not Russian/ and now I'm a bit confused.
PS - I should mention that I expect my 505 in a couple of days, therefore any experimentation would begin in that period of time.
Take care, guys
Jeeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 12:13 AM   #24
DrMoze
Booknut

And I would like to humbly repeat my request for specific flashing instructions to Russify my 500 (with links to necessary files, incl. hacks for joystsick page turn and clock, maybe direct page access?)

I*hate* to sound impatient, and really do appreciate the help here. (My library program supports Cyrillic now and I can convert fb2 fils to lrf! )

It's just that the candles in the menorah are slowly crawling towards the gift deadline.
Old 12-07-2007, 03:49 AM   #25
Nogg
Literate!
Nogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it is

Device: PRS-500
The files that were posted for the Cyrillic on the 500 don't seem to be enough. The kconfig file doesn't reference the ttf's... unless I'm missing something. In any event, it's not a simple matter to add them to HackBuilder, unfortunately.
Nogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 10:58 AM   #26
DrMoze
Booknut

Thanks for checking! I'm still waiting to see if Mihail will post the 500 procedure (like he did for the 505 and Library sw). I sent a pm, but this time of year is usually busy for people. (My week has been crazy!)

As a last resort, I may give the 500 gift with a few Russian pdf's loaded, and then say "Honey, can you help me with the rest of your gift? I can make this better using this website procedure, but it's all in Russian..."
Old 12-08-2007, 02:30 PM   #27
moneytoo
Enthusiast
moneytoo began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Some more info in English. http://www.the-ebook.org/forum/viewt...=116387#116387 I definitely wil try either to brick or upgrade my reader.
Anyway, you can browse their forum using Google Translate. (It's not perfect but works)

EDIT: I have just flashed my Reader with the Russian modification. Now I can read books in Czech faster (no more embedded fonts). Of course the menu stays in English. Only the menu icons are new.

EDIT2: Second flashing. Now I have original icons back and clock in the status bar/bottom line.

Last edited by moneytoo; 12-08-2007 at 04:23 PM.
moneytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 10:24 PM   #28
DrMoze
Booknut

Just bricked my 500 attempting this. Am posting to the developer subforum for help.