Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-20-2012, 06:35 PM   #46
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iOS
There are plenty of educational facilities other than the US ones that could see a use for this as well. Not everyone thinks the world stops at the US border.
wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 07:06 PM   #47
ab78727
Connoisseur
ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: reMarkable2 Sony-DPT-S1 iPad9g
Thumbs down

I presume you all have also read this little nugget (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/01/20/apple_ibooks/), which talks about an interesting wrinkle in the EULA if you use iBooks Author.
ab78727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2012, 10:30 PM   #48
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
SHOCKED
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 10:52 PM   #49
BillJones
BillJones began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by heySkippy View Post
http://www.macrumors.com/2012/01/19/...d-media-event/

I've been watching the rumors about this and with today's announcement I'm itching to play with the new iBooks Author application. I want to create a set of ebooks that are heavy on pictures and navigation and this looks like just what I've been dreaming about.

But, I'm a complete n00b to this authoring business. I downloaded Sigil a couple weeks ago and played with it some. I also played with Apple's Pages which exports to epub. Both left a lot to be desired for what I want.

So... Opinions? I'd love to hear what people who have actually created ebooks have to say.
I've been a college teacher for 7 years, and an Apple fan for 25 years. I like Apple's idea for their Ipad, but all the bells and whistles sound like it will be very expensive to have their style of book built. Making videos, finding pictures, creating or locating web links, sounds like a lot of work. I can't see many college teachers wanting to create that kind of book themselves. I'm not sure how Apple can keep the price of the books down to what they are hoping for.
BillJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 12:17 AM   #50
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ab78727 View Post
I presume you all have also read this little nugget (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/01/20/apple_ibooks/), which talks about an interesting wrinkle in the EULA if you use iBooks Author.
Now please don't think I'm Mr Smarty Pants but if you were expecting me to be shocked that by using Apple's free software I have to sell the product through Apple exclusively. If so you are mistaken. Apple did this with apps and magazine and any other subscription thingy that they could control in iTunes.

The program only works on a Mac and designed to be read on only Apple products using iBooks 2. Why would I think otherwise.
At present you can't publish on iBooks without a Macintosh. So for publishers selling through iBooks already it's a winner because it should reduce production time and provide enhanced features for the target audience I am already aiming at.

For Amazon, B&N, Sony, Google and Nook it business as usual. ePubs and Mobis.
Advert
Old 01-21-2012, 07:41 AM   #51
vaughnmr
Ebook Reader
vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, HTC Evo, HTC View
Probably a win for those few that actually use iBookstore. It'll probably go over like a lead ballon for the rest of the world.
vaughnmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 08:25 AM   #52
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughnmr View Post
Probably a win for those few that actually use iBookstore. It'll probably go over like a lead ballon for the rest of the world.
It's only currently available in the US.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 10:54 AM   #53
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ab78727 View Post
Oh, THAT is lovely.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 01:10 PM   #54
cHex
Zealot
cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard (K3)
Tablet computers being used by students for reading, writing, submitting homework, research, etc. is a no-brainer. It is inevitable. No reason for Amazon not to have a share of that.

The big news in this for me is that Amazon has got some major textbook publishers to commit to re-designing their textbooks as tablet apps rather than print books.

Up until now, the conventional wisdom has been that e-readers are most suitable for reading novels: all text, all the time, from start to finish. Text books, among other p-applications, have not been seen as a good "fit:" they have charts, graphics, and pictures to go with that text, and you might jump around within the text, constantly going back to this table or that glossary or some answer key.

So, kudos to Amazon for using its clout to nudge the big publishers in the inevitable direction. It's past time, I say.

By the same token, I'm puzzled by those who poo-poo new standards with all their bells and whistles: embedded videos, mp3's, animated graphics, whatever. In the future, I take it for granted that people will carry tablets or slates for school, work, leisure, etc., and among other things they'll be reading novels on those devices with little or no eyestrain.

Between now and then, there will be some heavy-handed, awkward, misguided, mistimed, mispriced, whatever developments and diversions getting from where we are now to where we will be then. But there are profits for whomever can grab market share now if they can hold on to some of that for later.

I've seen schools now that issue computers or Kindles to their students, but there's no 500-pound gorilla of educational computing. If Apple gets a jump on tablets for educational use, that's something.
cHex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 01:42 PM   #55
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by cHex View Post
Tablet computers being used by students for reading, writing, submitting homework, research, etc. is a no-brainer. It is inevitable. No reason for Amazon not to have a share of that.

The big news in this for me is that Amazon has got some major textbook publishers to commit to re-designing their textbooks as tablet apps rather than print books.
[...]
So, kudos to Amazon for using its clout to nudge the big publishers in the inevitable direction. It's past time, I say.
I think you mean Apple rather than Amazon here?
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 01:59 PM   #56
cHex
Zealot
cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard (K3)
Yeah, I meant Apple, but anyone capable would work just as well.
cHex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 04:57 PM   #57
CommonReader
Fanatic
CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, PRS-650, Vaio Tap 11, iPad Mini
The content that can be created with this software can only be used with iOS devices and may only be sold via Apple. Publishers and educational institutions would be insane to sign up for such a scheme, shoveling revenue towards Apple for no identifiable reason. Any public school or university signing up for this should get a visit from the public accounting office asap.
CommonReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 06:17 PM   #58
wannabee
Media Bloke

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughnmr View Post
Itunes is our second biggest seller of books behind Amazon and sell more than twenty times B&N, Sony, Kobo and Google put together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It's only currently available in the US.
That's a worry. I've set aside some of today to experiment.
Old 01-21-2012, 06:29 PM   #59
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommonReader View Post
The content that can be created with this software can only be used with iOS devices and may only be sold via Apple. Publishers and educational institutions would be insane to sign up for such a scheme, shoveling revenue towards Apple for no identifiable reason. Any public school or university signing up for this should get a visit from the public accounting office asap.
For no identifiable reason? What about the fact that it is an easy way to e-books in the hands of students...and there are no other alternatives?

I mean, I'm a little skeptical that technology will help much with education - but getting righteously indignant over this program when no one else has done anything like it seems misplaced.

Would students be better off if Apple did nothing? I don't think so.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 06:31 PM   #60
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommonReader View Post
I've seen schools fall for crazier and stupider programs that only ended up wasting large quantities of taxpayer money. You have to remember, that modern education is based around whatever the latest teaching gimmick is, not what actually works. If you could get a college professor to teach that students could only learn when the teachers were wearing Godzilla costumes, you'd see a lot of teachers going around dressed like Kaiju monsters.

On the other hand, Apple has been one of the "better" ones for putting technology into classrooms and finding "educational" uses for it. As a kid, I can remember the old Apples for the Students program- much as my mom didn't approve of it- and seeing vast labs of Apple IIe and //c computers. MS didn't get that focus until recently, when it started getting schools to offer MS Office 07 in business classes.
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote