Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-09-2010, 12:29 PM   #1
ZombWii
Enthusiast
ZombWii began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
OMG! - How do I delete books from Kobo app.?

What am I missing here?...this is driving me nuts!
I cannot for the life of me figure out how to delete books from the
desktop app. I want the app. freebooks to be gone, as well as some freebies I DL'ed but don't think I'll ever read.
I've looked in my documents directory (Adobe DEs are there but not Kobo app. books) and in the Kobo program directory itself with no luck.
The app doesn't seem to have any 'right-click' options, or a preferences tab, or anything!

ZombWii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 12:43 PM   #2
3d0g
I make fjords.
3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: kobo 1 (retired), kobo 2, iPad, G2, Galaxy Tab 7+
Assuming you're using the native (Canadian) desktop app and http://www.kobobooks.com, you manage your books from the website. Delete them there and they'll be removed from the desktop app at next library update.

The other kobo resellers (Borders, etc.) don't have this functionality yet.

As for removing the freebies from the desktop app, that takes some database hacking.
3d0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2010, 06:05 PM   #3
ZombWii
Enthusiast

Thank-you very much!
I've bought 4 books from the Kobo site and I swear I've never seen that page before.
Now I'll look into the 2nd part...
Old 10-09-2010, 08:06 PM   #4
timlegge
Addict
timlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than mom

Device: Kobo, Kobo Wifi, Kobo Touch
On a related note, Calibre will allow you to delete any of the free books that were delivered with the device.

Tim
timlegge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 11:19 AM   #5
ZombWii
Enthusiast

Ok, the second part...the database hack...I've looked, but as I'm on a PC not a Mac the posted link doesn't apply and I can't find a second sqlite file. I renamed the one in the Kobo program directory, but it didn't seem to change anything.

Anyone have instructions on how to delete the 5 free classics from the Kobo App for PC?

(I don't hate classics. I actually have all five, in some way, shape, or form on my bookshelves already.)
Advert
Old 10-10-2010, 06:18 PM   #6
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Take a look in %LocalAppData%\Kobo\Kobo Desktop Edition

You should be able to paste that as is into either a cmd shell
Code:
cd "%LocalAppData%\Kobo\Kobo Desktop Edition"
OR into the start button
Code:
%LocalAppData%\Kobo\Kobo Desktop Edition
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 08:30 PM   #7
ZombWii
Enthusiast

That did it.
Thanks PeterT and 3d0g.
Old 10-17-2010, 02:38 PM   #8
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi - Kobo Touch - GNex - N7
Quote:
Originally Posted by timlegge View Post
On a related note, Calibre will allow you to delete any of the free books that were delivered with the device.

Tim
and on another related note, the Kobo Wi-Fi allows you to delete individiual pre-loaded books from the device now. Most I wanted to keep, but some I don't need my 9 year old exposed to for now .
Psyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 09:23 AM   #9
ltr
Addict
ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.

Device: Kindle PW-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombWii View Post
What am I missing here?...this is driving me nuts!
I cannot for the life of me figure out how to delete books from the
desktop app. I want the app. freebooks to be gone, as well as some freebies I DL'ed but don't think I'll ever read.
I've looked in my documents directory (Adobe DEs are there but not Kobo app. books) and in the Kobo program directory itself with no luck.
The app doesn't seem to have any 'right-click' options, or a preferences tab, or anything!

Just started using my Kobo Wi-Fi, and I find I'm able to right-click any book on the desktop app and it pops up a Remove This Book button. Perhaps that's new?

ltr
ltr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 09:20 AM   #10
ZombWii
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltr View Post
Just started using my Kobo Wi-Fi, and I find I'm able to right-click any book on the desktop app and it pops up a Remove This Book button. Perhaps that's new?

ltr
Yes it is new. I've since picked one of the new Kobos myself, and it gives you access the newest version of the app which apparently won't be widely available until Monday the 25th. A very reasonable addition IMHO.
Thanks for the reply though.
Old 10-26-2010, 03:44 PM   #11
corona
Addict
corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.

Device: kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
%LocalAppData%\Kobo\Kobo Desktop Edition
I don't have any directory like this in my system -- XP Pro SP3 -- and disabling the (single) sqlite file under program files/kobo doesn't do anything.

Thanks!
corona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 04:44 PM   #12
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
As far as I can see, XP does NOT have the %LocalAppData% Environment variable.

Instead, take a look in
Code:
%UserProfile%\Local Settings\Local Settings\Application Data\Kobo\Kobo Desktop Edition
Of course, if you are using another branded version of the Kobo (for instance Borders), replace Kobo by Borders.

Remember also, this applied to the ORIGINAL Kobo. Not sure if this has changed with the 1.7+ desktop and / or the WiFi Kobo

Last edited by PeterT; 10-26-2010 at 04:46 PM. Reason: Added Caveat re new Desktop / WiFi
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 06:48 PM   #13
JCKobo
Kobo Product Guy
JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Vox
In the new version of the Desktop application (1.7+) you can right click books to delete them!
JCKobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 10:00 PM   #14
corona
Addict
corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Instead, take a look in
Code:
%UserProfile%\Local Settings\Local Settings\Application Data\Kobo\Kobo Desktop Edition
Thanks, PeterT, but it doesn't seem to work. A new file gets created, but trying to sync the desktop app to the reader, I'm asked to log in, but not given a way to, and we just loop like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCKobo View Post
In the new version of the Desktop application (1.7+) you can right click books to delete them!
But, JCKobo, I can only see 6 books in my library on the Desktop app -- 5 freebies and the one book I've bought from the Kobo store. Nothing else is shown there.

Last edited by corona; 10-26-2010 at 10:15 PM.
Old 10-26-2010, 10:14 PM   #15
corona
Addict

sorry; see post above!