Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 09-26-2016, 10:24 AM   #1
fbrzvnrnd
Fanatic
fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ONYX M96
Scribble notes lost

I have just lost all the Scribble Notes in M96. I renamed some notes, exported one of them and when I go to read again a note, all lost, nothing.
Is there a way to rescue them?

Thank you

Fabrizio
fbrzvnrnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 08:56 AM   #2
deb2016
Enthusiast
deb2016 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!deb2016 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!deb2016 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!deb2016 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!deb2016 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!deb2016 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!deb2016 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!deb2016 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!deb2016 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!deb2016 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!deb2016 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Onyx Boox Max2 pro
Hi,

I have an Onyx Boox Max. I use OnyxScribbler, I noticed that sometimes it could crash and in this case, most of your notes, if not all of them, disappears.

I do not know if you can recover them. It would need to investigate the application directory, I have not (yet) a deep enough understanding of android to do so.

I emailed the maintener of the Onyx Boox Max ROM (ereader store / german) about that issue, hoping that he would soon provide a fix, still waiting.

Clearly, this application is not yet stable enough for professional purpose. Nevertheless,
I found a way to not lose any more notes : when you are taking notes, carefully leaves the current note with the "door" button at the down right corner. Then, leave the app only by pressing the "go back" button at the top left corner ... never ... never press home button or any other one that would make you leave abruptly the Scribbler app.

Works for me up to now. Let me know if it works for you.

Good luck !
deb2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 04:48 PM   #3
desk7
Groupie
desk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Onyx Boox Max
Quote:
Originally Posted by deb2016 View Post
Hi,

I have an Onyx Boox Max. I use OnyxScribbler, I noticed that sometimes it could crash and in this case, most of your notes, if not all of them, disappears.

I do not know if you can recover them. It would need to investigate the application directory, I have not (yet) a deep enough understanding of android to do so.

I emailed the maintener of the Onyx Boox Max ROM (ereader store / german) about that issue, hoping that he would soon provide a fix, still waiting.

Clearly, this application is not yet stable enough for professional purpose. Nevertheless,
I found a way to not lose any more notes : when you are taking notes, carefully leaves the current note with the "door" button at the down right corner. Then, leave the app only by pressing the "go back" button at the top left corner ... never ... never press home button or any other one that would make you leave abruptly the Scribbler app.

Works for me up to now. Let me know if it works for you.

Good luck !
Thanks! Your suggestion works!
desk7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 07:38 AM   #4
deb2016
Enthusiast
deb2016 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!deb2016 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!deb2016 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!deb2016 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!deb2016 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!deb2016 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!deb2016 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!deb2016 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!deb2016 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!deb2016 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!deb2016 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by desk7 View Post
Thanks! Your suggestion works!
Yes, still stable in this way up to now.

Nevertheless, pay also attention if you insert blank pages within your document : at the end is no problem, but it crashed once when inserting before the end, as a result, I lost the pages above the inserted one of this document (and only this one).

Hopes this helps.
Old 10-14-2016, 03:20 AM   #5
fbrzvnrnd
Fanatic
fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I usually follow those suggestions, thank you. This time I fear the problem is another, I lost ALL the notes, new and old.
Old 10-17-2016, 08:50 AM   #6
deb2016
Enthusiast

I am really sorry for you, we really should do something, I do not know how notes are stored, but I am sure one could periodically make a copy of all notes in a safe place, so that you can recover the latest state in case of crashes.

I will try to dig into this, I am fed up with this kind of issue, Onyx should do something, I will report them this bug, it is a shame to sell this application with such a bug that is certainly easily fixable.
Old 10-19-2016, 02:24 PM   #7
Asaif
Asaif began at the beginning.

Device: Boox N96
I have been losing my notes on scribble app since I bought my N96 until I stopped using it. I contacted ereader and they told me that there is a new scribble app coming next month with pressure sensitivity support. Hopefully they will solve this problem in the new version. I'm waiting.......
Asaif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 05:08 PM   #8
W. Hunger
W. Hunger began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox M96 plus (dead), Note 2
Hi!

If you are able to root your device, you can most probably recover all your lost scribbles, in Scribbler and in Reader, with the attached Python script. Problem is, you either have to run this script directly on the device, or you have to create a backup of your system files, run the script on the backed up files on another machine and transfer the fixed files back to your device. As far as i know, both options require root access.

I'm using the first option, after having installed Python in a little Debian chroot environment with the help of the app "Linux Deploy".

The script fixes two problems, in fact: One is Scribblers notes.json index file that is sometimes destroyed, whyever. It seems to be some kind of index to the scribbles that are actually stored in database files elsewhere (you can read the paths from the script). The script is looking for these database files, checks if they contain scribbles made with the Scribbler app, and adds them to the index file if necessary. The other problem is when upgrading the firmware, i think from 1.7.4 to a later version, it can happen that the databases containing the scribbles do not get updated correctly. In newer versions, the database schema has an additional column named uniqueId. Databases without this column cannot be read by the new apps (Scribbler and Reader). Luckily, it seems to be sufficient to just add this column to the existing databases.

When running the script on the device, I recommend stopping Scribbler and Reader first, otherwise the fixes will most probably not be seen by the applications, possibly even overwritten again. For scribbles that have been added to notes.json, preview images are missing. You have to open the scribbles once to recreate them.

Best regards - Werner.
Attached Files
File Type: zip recreate_scribbles.zip (1.5 KB, 208 views)
W. Hunger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 10:36 PM   #9
Asaif
Asaif began at the beginning.

Device: Boox N96
Here is an update on the release of the new scribble app from Ereader-store.de:
"we are going to release the update with new Scribble app and new Neo (2) Reader after this weekend. It is indeed much more stable as the current version.". Hopefully problems would be solved in the new release......
Asaif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 12:58 AM   #10
fbrzvnrnd
Fanatic

I downloaded it... I'll try. I have to say that now it do not export notes anymore...
Old 11-30-2016, 01:38 PM   #11
UncleZeno
Connoisseur
UncleZeno began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx N96ML
I own a N96ML, installed latest firmware and the Scribble software is much more annoying to use.

Very disappointed.
UncleZeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 03:36 AM   #12
isaact33
isaact33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isaact33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isaact33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isaact33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isaact33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isaact33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isaact33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isaact33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isaact33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isaact33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isaact33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx boox m96 & Boox Max 2
i just had the same issue on the m96 1.8.1 i lost all my scribbles and have a paper do. im really disappointing even though neo reader has gotten better it removes alot of trust in the software.
isaact33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 08:00 AM   #13
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
Quote:
Originally Posted by isaact33 View Post
i just had the same issue on the m96 1.8.1 i lost all my scribbles and have a paper do. im really disappointing even though neo reader has gotten better it removes alot of trust in the software.
Hi,
is it about scribbles made in Neo2 or in Note app?
In Neo2 try following solution:
1. open affected document
2. do export of your scribbled annotations in a new file (even if you don't see them now, they are there).
3. Open new file and check whether your scribbled notes are to see now.

We are trying to reproduce the problem in order to see what exactly could lead to this kind of problem. Try to report this problem to dev team directly by using feedback feature (in settings->about->feedback))

Last edited by Booxtor; 04-10-2017 at 08:06 AM.
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote