Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 04-16-2013, 06:32 AM   #1
BobK99
BobK99 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Random opening point

When I upload my Sigil-produced EPUB file to KDP and it processes it to make a MOBI file, the MOBI file works (I can read it and navigate it using GoTo commands), but it opens (in the Kindle Previewer) halfway through the TOC.

If this was a problem with KDP's converter, the answer to my problem would be 'Ask THEM why it happens', but their answer would be 'You should have used OUR tool to get from HTML'.

But I doubt if it IS their problem (at least, not a problem with their converter from EPUB to MOBI), because when I try to open the EPUB file directly (as it's a supported input format for the KDP Previewer) it fails almost immediately with the error 'Kindle Previewer has failed to compile the book'.

Any ideas?

b
BobK99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 06:38 AM   #2
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Does the ePUB validate? Also, it doesn't sound like an Sigil issue, but more mobi related.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-16-2013, 10:11 AM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I agree, it sound like either a User (caused) issue or a Mobi issue.

Who created the initial OPF file? (Guide section, specifically)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 04:42 AM   #4
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobK99 View Post
When I upload my Sigil-produced EPUB file to KDP and it processes it to make a MOBI file, the MOBI file works (I can read it and navigate it using GoTo commands), but it opens (in the Kindle Previewer) halfway through the TOC.

If this was a problem with KDP's converter, the answer to my problem would be 'Ask THEM why it happens', but their answer would be 'You should have used OUR tool to get from HTML'.

But I doubt if it IS their problem (at least, not a problem with their converter from EPUB to MOBI), because when I try to open the EPUB file directly (as it's a supported input format for the KDP Previewer) it fails almost immediately with the error 'Kindle Previewer has failed to compile the book'.

Any ideas?

b
Well, this:

Quote:
'Kindle Previewer has failed to compile the book'
tells you that you have larger issues than the start location. Uploading an ePUB directly at KDP that fails at KindleGen/KindlePreviewer is a recipe for disaster, as if it doesn't compile properly with KG/KP, it certainly won't magically compile, using the same exact program, at KDP.

So: does the ePUB pass ePUBcheck and Flight Crew, and how did you set your start location?

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 06:26 AM   #5
BobK99
BobK99 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Thanks everyone. I obviously need to do more homework. To answer Hitch's last three questions: never tried, never tried, didn't set it (took the default)

Obviously a case of RTFM, but which one? I have the Sigil Manual, KDP Guidelines, and Building Your Book for Kindle. But refs in them to OPF went over my head.

b
BobK99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-19-2013, 06:40 AM   #6
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Thanks everyone. I obviously need to do more homework. To answer Hitch's last three questions: never tried, never tried, didn't set it (took the default)

Obviously a case of RTFM, but which one? I have the Sigil Manual, KDP Guidelines, and Building Your Book for Kindle. But refs in them to OPF went over my head.

b
Bob:

I can't speak to your other issues--seriously, if your book is failing compile, that's unrelated to the start issue itself, and you should try to fix that before putting the book on sale. I don't speak lightly--we have thousands of books up on Amazon that my biz has produced, and trust me, that kind of stuff can really come back and bite you in the keister.

HOWEVER: in Sigil, please just pick the point (the FILE, right--you likely have a file for your frontmatter, a file for each chapter, yadda), where you want the book to open and use the semantics to set it to TEXT. So, say you want the title page to be your start location? Instead of using the TitlePage semantic, use TEXT. That will set the start location for your Kindle book when you Kindlegen it. ;-) IF you do not have separate files, then you have to fiddle with the OPF; create an id somewhere and then set the TEXT Guide item in the OPF to that location, i.e, set an element (say, the title page title) to id="start" and then set the Guide item to that location, with the type being TEXT. Right? D'you know what I mean?

Does that help? Look at how Sigil sets...hmmm...I think it still sets the cover guide item automatically, although I might be lying. Meme, or Ducky, am I lying?

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 09:31 AM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I don't think Sigil sets any Guide item automatically, But then, I am doing touch up for my own use.

OP: The Guide section is what Semantics sets for you. It is rare that you need to edit the OPF by hand for a basic book.

Seems to me: Guide is under utilizes
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:01 AM   #8
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Obviously a case of RTFM, but which one? I have the Sigil Manual, KDP Guidelines, and Building Your Book for Kindle.
All of them.
If you plan on using epubs to create your kindlebooks, it stands to reason that you're going to need to know the ins and outs of creating both epubs and Kindlebooks. There's really no shortcuts.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote