Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-20-2012, 02:45 PM   #1
David1
David1 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Model # D01100
Kindle privacy with user-generated material

I'm working on a research project. I'd like to be able to read my materials on my Kindle, but I have to keep them secure. If I load my documents via Calibre, will they be available to:

1) Another user on the same Kindle account?

2) Amazon?

3) Anyone else?
David1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 03:00 PM   #2
Helgetus
Zealot
Helgetus doesn't litterHelgetus doesn't litter

Device: PW1, PW2, KB3G, Sony PRS-T3
1) yes
2) probably yes
3) no
Helgetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2012, 03:23 PM   #3
7hir7een
Reader of Books
7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Elipsa, Kindle Basic (11th gen)
Actually, in my experience, if you sideload via Calibre's send to device, they won't be available to others on your account. It's basically the same as copy/pasting a document to the Kindle itself.

The only way you're going to get sideloaded documents visible to all devices attached to the account is if you turn on personal document archiving and send to Kindle via Amazon's servers (e-mail or via Send to Kindle program, etc.)

Last edited by 7hir7een; 10-20-2012 at 03:33 PM.
7hir7een is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 03:57 PM   #4
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helgetus View Post
1) yes
2) probably yes
3) no
Incorrect.

If someone wants to keep documents private then turn off the 3G/Wifi. Problem solved.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 06:28 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Incorrect.

If someone wants to keep documents private then turn off the 3G/Wifi. Problem solved.
Wireless connection are of no relevance here. If you copy your documents to the Kindle via USB, they will not be accessible to anyone except the user of that Kindle.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2012, 07:07 AM   #6
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Wireless connection are of no relevance here. If you copy your documents to the Kindle via USB, they will not be accessible to anyone except the user of that Kindle.
True, but this user probably wants to go the extra step of paranoid security. There is always a chance that Amazon might snoop into their Kindle, or at least there's a suspicion in some minds that this might occur. That's why I say leave the Wifi turned off.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 07:44 AM   #7
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
I always leave my wifi turned off. i am just too paranoid. It's probably why my fantasy dream e-reader wouldn't have wifi or connection to any 'store', just load my books on via USB and read, because seriously, that is all I do. i don't 'tweet', I don't have 'book buying emergencies' so I browse any potential buys leisurely on my *computer*, not my device.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 07:45 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spindlegirl View Post
I always leave my wifi turned off. i am just too paranoid. It's probably why my fantasy dream e-reader wouldn't have wifi or connection to any 'store', just load my books on via USB and read, because seriously, that is all I do. i don't 'tweet', I don't have 'book buying emergencies' so I browse any potential buys leisurely on my *computer*, not my device.
What is it that concerns you? I'm genuinely interested to know. I too leave my WiFi off, but simply because it extends the battery life.
Old 10-21-2012, 07:53 AM   #9
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
What is it that concerns you? I'm genuinely interested to know. I too leave my WiFi off, but simply because it extends the battery life.
Well, probably not overly 'paranoid' like i overstated, but I just don't like a third party being capable of poking into my stuff. I simply like to use it and sever ties with anyone and anything else.
Old 10-21-2012, 08:10 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by spindlegirl View Post
Well, probably not overly 'paranoid' like i overstated, but I just don't like a third party being capable of poking into my stuff. I simply like to use it and sever ties with anyone and anything else.
If it's any comfort to you, I had a problem with my Kindle a few months ago, and Kindle technical support asked my permission (which I had to confirm by e-mail) to download my Kindle's usage logs to their servers to aid in diagnosis of the problem, so they do not download such logs as a matter of routine.
Old 10-21-2012, 09:18 AM   #11
DustyDisks
Old Fart In Training
DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3+3g/KFHD 7"/Nexus 7/Nexus 7.2
Quote:
If it's any comfort to you, I had a problem with my Kindle a few months ago, and Kindle technical support asked my permission (which I had to confirm by e-mail) to download my Kindle's usage logs to their servers to aid in diagnosis of the problem, so they do not download such logs as a matter of routine.

Ah, but that is the rub, they have the capability of doing it without you knowing!

That is sorta like saying "Trust us we are your government and we are here to help you!".
And we would "never" invade or disrespect your privacy!

And if you would trust that, I have a bridge that is out in Arizona that used to live in London England, that I will sell it back to you at a bargain price!

Last edited by DustyDisks; 10-21-2012 at 09:42 AM.
DustyDisks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 12:01 PM   #12
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
During my first Paperwhite return, the CS commented on how I wasn't using my Kindle 1 as much anymore (after I mentioned that I was a multiple Kindle owner). Some kind of usage stats must be easily visible.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 12:21 PM   #13
spindlegirl
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
During my first Paperwhite return, the CS commented on how I wasn't using my Kindle 1 as much anymore (after I mentioned that I was a multiple Kindle owner). Some kind of usage stats must be easily visible.
That i find quite creepy.
Old 10-21-2012, 12:54 PM   #14
Jane12
Groupie
Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iDevices
Quote:
... If you copy your documents to the Kindle via USB, they will not be accessible to anyone except the user of that Kindle.
As an alternative to USB, will the Kindle web browser work to download from Calibre Content Server (or Dropbox or SugarSync, etc.), and if so, will that also keep your personal docs private and out of Amazon's reach?
Jane12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 01:07 PM   #15
DustyDisks
Old Fart In Training
DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3+3g/KFHD 7"/Nexus 7/Nexus 7.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane12 View Post
As an alternative to USB, will the Kindle web browser work to download from Calibre Content Server (or Dropbox or SugarSync, etc.), and if so, will that also keep your personal docs private and out of Amazon's reach?
I would almost bet, that no mater where/what or why something is stored on the web, it is not truly safe at all. As some here have said, if it is digital content, and where that content is stored has access to the web, it is at risk. The only way to be assured that your digital content is totally safe is to keep/store it on a device that has absolutely no internet access.

Because in this digital world the saying "If there is a will, there is a way!" holds true, in saying and in fact!
DustyDisks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle, privacy