Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 11-18-2010, 10:28 PM   #1
colinsky
Addict
colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, PRS-T1, PRS-T3
Kobo Referral Reward

Tell a friend or family member about Kobo and receive $10 credit (if they buy something!)
http://kobobooks.com/friends

Looks like anyone you recommend gets a 50% coupon in their email (though may also be added to a mailing list--not exactly sure).

May only work for customers NEW to Kobo--not so clear on that part either.

I'm, of course, happy to request 50% coupons for all my friends here who want them (PM me an address).
colinsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 04:10 AM   #2
eric11210
Addict
eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-600
I wonder if it would work if you gave them a second e-mail address to send the link to?
eric11210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2010, 05:58 AM   #3
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
It's hard to get the DRM to match if you have two accounts--just saying. Kobo readers will only let one be active at a time--books loaded with the other account appear as "locked content". That could be an issue, if a book has to be purchased by the person you referred before the coupon is sent.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 09:53 AM   #4
eric11210
Addict
eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Good point. I happen to strip DRM from books I purchase so I can store personal backup copies, but that would be an issue for many people.
Old 11-19-2010, 08:03 PM   #5
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I'm not meaning to be rude, but I am not finding a good way to say this. Stripping DRM for personal backup seems different, somehow, to me then using that ability to sorta game the system and set up multiple Kobo accounts just to get the referral money/benefits. I understand that folks may not agree, but that is how I see it.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2010, 08:25 PM   #6
eric11210
Addict

I haven't done it and I'm not planning on it (though I may send a link to my sister, the only other person I know who owns an e reader). It's just that when I first saw this, I started wondering to myself, "so what's to stop people from simply referring to dummy e-mail accounts and then claiming 50% off coupons plus $10 for each of them?" When the DRM issue was pointed out, I realized why it's an issue for most people and why I hadn't thought of that as a reason why it wouldn't work, because I happen to strip DRM from my books for personal backup so it didn't even occur to me that this may be a problem.
Old 11-19-2010, 08:51 PM   #7
colinsky
Addict
colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, PRS-T1, PRS-T3
Beyond just the logistics of multiple accounts, that process strikes me as quite exploitative. Kobo is quite generous with regular coupons, and I'm happy to encourage others to buy from them. I certainly don't want do anything myself to hurt their business (or risk damaging my own ability to purchase from them in the future!)
colinsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 01:38 AM   #8
eric11210
Addict

Like I said, I was asking in theory and wondering what was to stop someone from doing it. Sorry if I wasn't clear on that.