Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Offline > BBeB/LRF Books (offline)

Notices

Old 08-05-2007, 12:35 PM   #1
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Wodehouse, P.G.: A Damsel in Distress. v1. 05 Aug. 07

Here's some P. G. Wodehouse that you might enjoy. I have yet to read this, but here are two quotes about this title:

"Good gad! Belpher Castle is a-dither with romance and intrigue. Wodehouse's usual twits are in full cry as they leap about the manicured landscape. And hovering close in the background are the ever-vigilant, poisonous aunts who spend their entire lives being aghast. There's plenty to be aghast about when the lord of the manor falls madly in love with an actress (huge intake of breath) named (another huge intake) Billie."

And some publishing history next:

"A Damsel in Distress was published in the U.S. on October 4, 1919 by George H. Doran, and then in the U.K. on October 17, 1919 by Herbert Jenkins, and it is a splendid example of early Wodehouse."

I hope you enjoy it.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 01:48 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Ha! Trying to upstage me in posting Wodehouse books, are you?

There's enough for both of us, certainly .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-05-2007, 02:01 PM   #3
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Ha! Trying to upstage me in posting Wodehouse books, are you?

There's enough for both of us, certainly .
I know very little about Wodehouse, except for some incredible adaptations I saw on an "educational" channel a few years ago.

I mean, I know who Wodehouse is, and I've read some Jeeves short stories a long, long time ago but I don't remember anything. You brought back all this with your Wodehouse postings, and then I saw this one as an HTML.

I also "stole" one of your Sax Rohmer books --- I love that cheesy grin!

P.S.: Please add this Wodehouse title to your others, especially if you're trying to capture all his work in a Uniform Edition, so to speak!

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 02:07 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Oh no, go right ahead and post more if you wish, please - there's certainly enough of it!

I'm a huge fan of Wodehouse; unfortunately his best stuff is still in copyright and will remain so until 2045 or so (he lived a very long life). His reputation in the UK was "tarnished" for many years (and still is, in the eyes of many) because - very foolishly - he agreed to German requests to broadcast to the USA following his internment while living in France during WWII. He was investigated by the security services after the war, but they concluded that he was simply a very naive man who hadn't considered the consequences of his actions rather than an active "collaborator with the enemy". It was because of that that he went to live in the USA in 1950, where he remained for the rest of his life.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote