Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > HanLin eBook

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you want to buy a V3?
Yes. 9 33.33%
No. 14 51.85%
Yes, with some conditions. 4 14.81%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-24-2008, 11:47 AM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
I am trying to become an agent for Jinke

I am looking into selling the Hanlin V3, which is made by Jinke. Before I invest my money, I want to see how many people might want one.

The V3 is similar in size to the 505 or Cybook. Here is a link to the product page. I don't have one yet, so i cannot provide more information than what is on that page or in this forum.

I am in the US, and will ship worldwide. I would sell the V3 for the retail price of $300 plus shipping and insurance. At first, payment will be through Paypal. It's convenient, and protects us both.

There is a poll attached. If you are interested, please respond and perhaps leave a post.

EDIT: Nevermind. I have been exchanging emails, and have learned that Jinke wants 500 piece order (at $230 a piece) to be paid for and shipped in a single lot.

Forget it. Even if I had $120k lying around, I could think of better ways to invest it.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 01:40 PM   #2
Gudy
Wizard
Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux (623)
I do, in fact, want to buy a V3. The condition I have attached to that means, though, that I won't fall under the "prospective customer" label for you: I want a dealer in Europe, or more precisely within the EU, so a) I don't have to pay customs duty, b) shipping doesn't cost an arm and a leg, and c) I can benefit from European warranty laws.
Gudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 03:20 PM   #3
Kokomo Lee
Keeps on Ticking...
Kokomo Lee understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'Kokomo Lee understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'Kokomo Lee understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'Kokomo Lee understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'Kokomo Lee understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'Kokomo Lee understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'Kokomo Lee understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'Kokomo Lee understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'Kokomo Lee understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'Kokomo Lee understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'Kokomo Lee understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kindles, iStuff, Nexus and a partridge
Would Prefer a V2, but V3 is still an option

I would prefer the V2, but the V3 is second on my list

Sherri
Kokomo Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 06:05 PM   #4
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLMines View Post
I would prefer the V2, but the V3 is second on my list

Sherri
And *I* would rather have a v9c. But... ;-)

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 06:13 PM   #5
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Well if we're talking about other devices we'd like to have, I'd like to buy a V9t ,for my wife's use.

It'd be extremely useful to her. Big enough for the PDFs she needs to read, and she could probably grade her student's papers right on the thing.

Dunno if that'll influence your decision, any Nate, but there you go.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 07:25 PM   #6
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The earliest the V9 will be available is July. Part of the reason I am looking into selling the V3 is to establish a relationship with Jinke, and be one of the first to get the V9.

I want it too.
Old 01-24-2008, 07:34 PM   #7
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Well if you're a dealer for one Jinke you're in the same Junk boat with the other Jinkes or are you jinxed required to sell only one model?

I've got to say HTML is reeeeeeal tempting!
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 08:58 PM   #8
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

I have been exchanging emails, and have learned that Jinke wants 500 piece order (at $230 a piece) to be paid for and shipped in a single lot.

Forget it. Even if I had $120k lying around, I could think of better ways to invest it.
Old 01-24-2008, 10:00 PM   #9
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I have been exchanging emails, and have learned that Jinke wants 500 piece order (at $230 a piece) to be paid for and shipped in a single lot.

This sounds familiar.

There was a German office supplies dealer in Palm oriented forums a while back, trying to drum up interest. HandEra was still in business as a device maker, with the TRG-Pro and HandEra 330. He wanted a color 330, because he felt he could sell a lot of them, and HandEra had reportedly made a prototype. HandEra wanted a firm order for 10,000 before they would make them. They were a small company who survived competing against Palm and Sony in the PDA market through rigorous cost controls, and weren't about to do a production run "on spec". If it didn't sell, it would sink them.

(HandEra is still around, but no longer manufactures devices. They are now engineering consultants for embedded hardware.)

And the NAEB folks had to come up with a minimum number of guaranteed orders (I don't reall how many) before they could do a deal with Bookeen for a customized Cybook.

Your experience with Jinke is not a surprise.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 02:57 AM   #10
mvoosten
Zealot
mvoosten began at the beginning.

Device: Hanlin V3
Not really a comparison is it? Hanlin already makes and sells the V3 opposed to your example of a company having a prototype and making a decision based on a guaranteed order.
But to be honest.. I don't know what all the fuss is about on trying to get a V3 in Europe.. I ordered and got mine directly from the Jinke site within a week for 300 dollar and I do live in Europe.. With the low dollar price I would say just go for it. The only pain is that you have to wire the money using international transfer and they don't accept credit cards or paypal.. Other then that it was an easy transaction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
This sounds familiar.

There was a German office supplies dealer in Palm oriented forums a while back, trying to drum up interest. HandEra was still in business as a device maker, with the TRG-Pro and HandEra 330. He wanted a color 330, because he felt he could sell a lot of them, and HandEra had reportedly made a prototype. HandEra wanted a firm order for 10,000 before they would make them. They were a small company who survived competing against Palm and Sony in the PDA market through rigorous cost controls, and weren't about to do a production run "on spec". If it didn't sell, it would sink them.

(HandEra is still around, but no longer manufactures devices. They are now engineering consultants for embedded hardware.)

And the NAEB folks had to come up with a minimum number of guaranteed orders (I don't reall how many) before they could do a deal with Bookeen for a customized Cybook.

Your experience with Jinke is not a surprise.
______
Dennis
mvoosten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 03:01 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvoosten View Post
But to be honest.. I don't know what all the fuss is about on trying to get a V3 in Europe.. I ordered and got mine directly from the Jinke site within a week for 300 dollar and I do live in Europe.. With the low dollar price I would say just go for it. The only pain is that you have to wire the money using international transfer and they don't accept credit cards or paypal..
Although bank transfers are commonplace to those of us in Europe, they are, I am led to believe, not so common in the US (where everyone has a credit card), hence Americans are often a little "wary" of them.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 03:54 AM   #12
Gudy
Wizard
Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux (623)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvoosten View Post
But to be honest.. I don't know what all the fuss is about on trying to get a V3 in Europe.. I ordered and got mine directly from the Jinke site within a week for 300 dollar and I do live in Europe..
I've given some of my reasons above. To repeat: customs duty and tax, and the hassle of dealing with same, shipping charges, and warranty. Even with the dollar being as low as it is, the customs duty, taxes and shipping charges add up to the point where the offer from Apollo XXI is competitive on price alone. Add in the hefty charges for international wire transfers, warranty, and the hassle that dealing with the customs office can be (speaking from experience here), and ordering directly from Jinke suddenly looks far less lucrative to me than ordering from a dealer within the EU.
Gudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 06:43 AM   #13
mvoosten
Zealot
mvoosten began at the beginning.

Device: Hanlin V3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gudy View Post
I've given some of my reasons above. To repeat: customs duty and tax, and the hassle of dealing with same, shipping charges, and warranty. Even with the dollar being as low as it is, the customs duty, taxes and shipping charges add up to the point where the offer from Apollo XXI is competitive on price alone. Add in the hefty charges for international wire transfers, warranty, and the hassle that dealing with the customs office can be (speaking from experience here), and ordering directly from Jinke suddenly looks far less lucrative to me than ordering from a dealer within the EU.
Just catched up on the Apollo post.. Sounds like a very good option indeed. Was just passing on my experience. But with a European dealer, it gets a lot easier for more people I guess.
mvoosten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 07:10 AM   #14
mrdini
Connoisseur
mrdini doesn't littermrdini doesn't litter

Device: Hanlin V2 & V6
Quote:

I thought they didn't have a minimum order quantity, unless you were asking for customisations?
mrdini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 08:27 AM   #15
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:

That sounds natural, obviously they have to protect themselves. The only way to do it would be, as previously mentionned, the Naeb way.

As a warning though, there aren't enough people interested here to form a purchase group. It has been tried in 06, when there were only two eink choices available, to form such a group for the acquisition of the then all new Bookeen reader.

If trying it tempts you, I would be willing to go for the V9!
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote