Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-03-2014, 03:51 PM   #1
blackwolf511
blackwolf511 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite B009 & K3 B006
Kindle DXG B009 Restore firmware???

Hello everybody.
I have an Kindle DX Graphite B009.
Firmware version : 3.2.1

I tried to install Duokan but it didn't work so i give up on it.
Previously of doing this i installed some hack tools (like the screen saver one).
I uninstalled all of them but now i cant "create a new Collection" where i can put the books i have already red.
I already tried the recovery firmware found on the piratebay but no luck, did a full/factory reset but the unit doesn't reset.
When i do a restart it hangs at the first page (your kindle will restart within a few minutes). I have to press enter to could make it continue the system loading as it usually should do.

Does anybody have a recovery/restore/backup firmware for this unit???
Please let me know how can i repair it without an rs232...
Thank you very much for every kind of help.
blackwolf511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 05:08 PM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
The directions for installing the series 3.x firmware on the series 2.x machine include your keeping a copy of the series 2.x firmware.

Just re-install that copy of 2.5.8 which you kept.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-03-2014, 06:13 PM   #3
blackwolf511

i have bought it with the 3.2.1 already installed. no recovery file inside.
i have managed to make a dump of the system but dont know how to use them.
It contains:

mmcblk0_7688.dmp = 3.936.256 bytes

mmcblk0p1.dmp = 419.454.976 bytes

mmcblk0p2.dmp = 25.165.824 bytes

mmcblk0p3.dmp = 8.388.608 bytes

I dont know how to use them to restore the dxg.
Old 08-03-2014, 10:19 PM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Then you have a problem.

This forum does not have a DX (or DXG), version 2.5.8 recovery image in our collection of repair images.
(We did at one time, but those files where removed a long time ago at the poster's request.)

You might be able to arrange contact with someone here that could help you via Private Message or on our IRC channel.
Old 08-04-2014, 02:40 AM   #5
blackwolf511

If somebody could pm to me to find a way on solving this problem, it would be like a blessing... Please help me have my DXG back.
Advert
Old 08-04-2014, 08:26 AM   #6
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwolf511 View Post
i have bought it with the 3.2.1 already installed. no recovery file inside.
i have managed to make a dump of the system but dont know how to use them.
It contains:

mmcblk0_7688.dmp = 3.936.256 bytes

mmcblk0p1.dmp = 419.454.976 bytes

mmcblk0p2.dmp = 25.165.824 bytes

mmcblk0p3.dmp = 8.388.608 bytes

I dont know how to use them to restore the dxg.
Ah, that does not look correct for a DXG.
That is the organization used on devices **after** the DXG.
(the newer devices use a single eMMC chip, the DX(G) used multiple hardware storage devices)

The easy way to check my memory is to enter the command:
Code:
cat /proc/partitions
Old 08-04-2014, 10:56 AM   #7
blackwolf511

Where do i have to put this command? Can i use it in windows CMD.exe? Does the kindle have to be in recovery mode? After that i have verified the partitions what will i have to do?
Old 08-04-2014, 12:03 PM   #8
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Where do i have to put this command? Can i use it in windows CMD.exe? Does the kindle have to be in recovery mode? After that i have verified the partitions what will i have to do?
Any means of command line access on the Kindle.
Serial port, ssh, telnet, terminal app (? not sure if we have a terminal app for the DXG ?), KUAL script, etc.

After you have listed the partitions -
You just want to see if the list matches that list of partition image files you have.
Old 08-05-2014, 07:42 PM   #9
Grefighter
Grefighter began at the beginning.

Device: KPW4, Voyage, KPW2, DX, K4NT
Sorry I am a newbie and I just got my KDX B005 last week. It has 2.5.4 installed and I went to Amazon.com upgraded it to 2.5.8. You can try here:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=201504450

But from here I can see that KDXG should use 2.5.8 also. Don't know how you got 3.x.x. Hope this helps.

BTW, I just installed Duokan today and it worked without any problem.
Grefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 08:29 PM   #10
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grefighter View Post
Sorry I am a newbie
- - - -
Don't know how you got 3.x.x. Hope this helps.
- - - -
Probably from an old Mobileread project to run series 3.x firmware on the series 2.x devices.

An after-market cross-breed of systems firmware.

Also the likely reason Dorkian did not work as expected.
Old 08-07-2014, 03:10 AM   #11
blackwolf511

Tried to install KUAL but i had no success, azw1 and azw2 are not recognised as books when putted on the document folder.
Is there any usb-network mode for dxg? I found just the one for K3.
If the partitions are found to be the same as the dump files posted above, what's next?
How can i build a recovery bin file from them.
By the way i don't have the rs232-ttl1v8 cable, so no serial connection for the moment.
Old 08-07-2014, 08:41 AM   #12
knc1
Going Viral

I think you will find those are "dump files" of a K3 not of a DXG.

I am pretty sure you are the first person who asks to restore the cross-breed firmware.
I do not think that process was ever tested for that hack.

You will note that I have been writing about restoring the latest DXG (2.5.8) image, **NOT** the cross-bred 3.x firmware.
Old 08-07-2014, 10:11 AM   #13
blackwolf511

Doesn't the restore file have the full data of the previous system configuration as it happens on a normal PC backup? If it do have them then, in my opinion , i guess it shouldn't be a problem! Anyway to could test it we need a 2.5.8 restore file.
Can't the DMP files be used to generate a recovery BIN file?
Old 08-07-2014, 10:45 AM   #14
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Doesn't the restore file have the full data of the previous system configuration as it happens on a normal PC backup? If it do have them then, in my opinion , i guess it shouldn't be a problem! Anyway to could test it we need a 2.5.8 restore file.
Can't the DMP files be used to generate a recovery BIN file?
No need to do that, they can be "un-dump'd" as it where (**IF** they are for the correct device).

And no - You do not have any of the device and owner specific information in those dump files.
That information is stored "outside" of the partitioned part of the storage.

How did you create those "dump" files?
You must have had some sort of command line access, what is (or was) it?
Old 08-07-2014, 11:08 AM   #15
blackwolf511

i used "updatedxG.bin" then got into options... system update, same as if i had to update the firmware. then when the update/backup finished the unit restarted as usual. no Shell or Cmd ever used.

I'm attaching the original link of the file:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...4&postcount=13

Now could someone help me take the BIN out of the DUMP, please?
I have the yifanlu's 3.2.1 firmware found on torrent but it doesnt work on recovery mode and neither in normal mode.
Attached Files
File Type: bin updatedxG.bin (1.2 KB, 425 views)