Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 06-01-2014, 02:48 AM   #1
einkuser
Enthusiast
einkuser began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 8th generation, Onyx Boox Nova
Accessing Nook Simple Touch annotations + highlights via Calibre or any method

Does anyone know if I can access my highlights and annotations from a Nook Simple Touch via Calibre? I know there is the 'Annotations Plugin' but does it support the Nook? Is there any work-around to get the annotations and highlights out of the Simple Touch?

I don't want root the Nook and put Android on it, as I'll be forced to used external apps and from experience using the Nook HD+ the apps work with side-loaded books and not B&N books.

Thanks!
einkuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 06:16 PM   #2
jerrry94087
Enthusiast
jerrry94087 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Touch
Annotations are stored in SQLite database /data/data/com.bn.nook.reader.activities/databases/annotations.db

To access them from the rooted nook, copy this file onto your computer (using adb or some file syncing app), and see the table with some SqLite db browser program (for example, SqLite Manager plugin for firefox browser).

There are also SQLite apps for android, like 'SQLite Manager', you can try using those to see it on the nook directly.
jerrry94087 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-14-2014, 03:13 PM   #3
einkuser
Enthusiast
einkuser began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 8th generation, Onyx Boox Nova
Thanks Jerry.

I would rather not put Android on the Nook, as I am neither technically proficient and have no need for it, other than the function to access highlights and annotations.

I just don't understand why Barnes & Noble haven't introduced this feature, as the Kindle has this feature and a much superior infrastructure. My inclination is that this has to do with excessive concerns with copyright issues and locking the reader experience to the Nook device (e.g. there is no share function for side-loaded epubs and the share function on B&N book is restricted to nothing more than two sentences, at most, and then a link to the book's purchase on the B&N website). It is not surprising Nook devices failed, as there was no attempt to keep up with competitors e.g. how long did it take to introduce higher definition resolution screens? And when this was introduced in the latest generation of the Nook Glowlight, the SD card slot was removed, when keeping it would have given the Nook an edge! The Simple Touch, as a decent entry device, was also phased out, when the basic entry-level Kindle, in comparison, sells well.
einkuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 03:34 AM   #4
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by einkuser View Post
The Simple Touch, as a decent entry device, was also phased out, when the basic entry-level Kindle, in comparison, sells well.
I still think the Nook Simple Touch is one of the best eReader devices. But you're absolutely right about B&N's infrastructure. It's terrible. They couldn't even get sync to device to work right.

One thing that should be mentioned is that, the NST really wasn't an "entry level" device, even though it was priced that way. Unlike the Kindle Basic, it came with a touch screen and a microSD slot. Its screen was like a Kindle Touch -- but it had no sound, so it somewhere in between a Kindle Basic and Touch. B&N was probably subsidizing them at the price they were selling them for. I was sorry to see them go -- but they're still available used in Pawn Shops, on eBay or on Craigslist.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote