Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 01-01-2012, 09:58 PM   #1
Joyful
Connoisseur
Joyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kobo
Audiobooks on the Vox

Chapters has the Vox on sale - tomorrow is the last day for the sale. I'd like to buy one but only if I can listen to my Audiobooks on it. I have a few in mp3 format so I'd like to be able to load them onto the Vox , probably via an SD card.

I asked these questions from the folks in Chapters and they didn't have any answers.
Does the Vox allow me to load and listen to my own audiobooks? I assume I'd need an app for this, one that would bookmark the book so when I listen at a later time it would start from where I left off. Is there such an app?
I don't use Audible but I may in the future for new books but for now I'd just like to listen to the ones I already have.

Joyful
Joyful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 10:05 PM   #2
mr_nobody
Evangelist
mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: kobo mini, nexus 7 (2012), kobo vox
There is a built in audio player but I don't know if it does bookmarking. That being said, there are any number of audio players you can install for android and I'm sure one of them does bookmarks. Maybe winamp?
mr_nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2012, 07:32 AM   #3
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyful View Post
Chapters has the Vox on sale - tomorrow is the last day for the sale. I'd like to buy one but only if I can listen to my Audiobooks on it. I have a few in mp3 format so I'd like to be able to load them onto the Vox , probably via an SD card.

I asked these questions from the folks in Chapters and they didn't have any answers.
Does the Vox allow me to load and listen to my own audiobooks? I assume I'd need an app for this, one that would bookmark the book so when I listen at a later time it would start from where I left off. Is there such an app?
I don't use Audible but I may in the future for new books but for now I'd just like to listen to the ones I already have.

Joyful
I just use my music player on my iTouch, the chapters are recognized as individual "songs" and I then I organize the chapters into a "playlist" which is the "book". Would certainly work the same on the Vox if I decided to listen to my books on it. PlayerPro is a free android app that you could add to the Vox which can be easily found by searching for playerpro apk on the web.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 01:21 PM   #4
pokee
Fanatic
pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Glo, Kobo Vox, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Tab2
My only comment on this is that I was not able to borrow audiobooks from my local library, as the file format was not supported on Rdio (DRMed WMA files). This was probably my biggest disappointment with the Vox...
pokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 01:30 PM   #5
mr_nobody
Evangelist
mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: kobo mini, nexus 7 (2012), kobo vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokee View Post
My only comment on this is that I was not able to borrow audiobooks from my local library, as the file format was not supported on Rdio (DRMed WMA files). This was probably my biggest disappointment with the Vox...
Assuming your library uses overdrive, their mp3 audiobooks will be compatible. The wma garbage only works with devices that have licensed the drm management from m$.
mr_nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2012, 05:16 PM   #6
Joyful
Connoisseur
Joyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kobo
Quote:
There is a built in audio player
That was one of the first questions I asked at Chapters - but both employees I spoke with, one of whom had the 'training' on the Vox didn't know if there was one or where to find it. Everytime I'd ask or mention audiobooks he'd talk about the video capabilities of the Vox.
He also told me to do some research to get my answers. Hello! That's why I'm here.
From what he showed me it also seemed to be quite slow so that concerns me too. It was a frustrating and unsatisfying visit to Chapters and I was hoping to love the Vox.

I did some research on getjar and found they do have an app for audiobooks from Ambling but only the lite version which doesn't allow you to load audiobooks from an SD card. I was hoping to put my books on the SD card.

All in all I think I'll give the Vox a pass in favour of an iPod for audiobooks and wait and see what small tablets come out in the future including the next gen Vox.

Thanks to all for the responses- much appreciated.

Joyful
Joyful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 05:37 PM   #7
hpulley
Addict
hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.

Device: Kobo Vox, Playbook32
Apple appstore is tough to beat. Android market is not there yet.
hpulley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 06:32 PM   #8
Kappafun
Kappafun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kappafun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kappafun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kappafun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kappafun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kappafun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kappafun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kappafun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kappafun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kappafun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kappafun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony eReader PRS-600, Kobo Vox
In a word yes

The Vox does allow you to store audio files and I have successfully played music while reading a book. You will have to manually load the audio file as the Vox doesn't have an intelligent piece of software that does it.

This does not help the battery life of course, but that goes without saying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyful View Post

Joyful
Kappafun is offline   Reply With Quote