Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 11-27-2014, 03:18 PM   #16
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Perhaps some of the CA certificates stored on the device have expired or been revoked?

Last edited by rkomar; 11-27-2014 at 03:24 PM.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 09:32 AM   #17
CJY
Zealot
CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Onyx Boox M92
After all this - installing XP and flashing with MSGTool - the unit does still not load SSL pages.

Given this, I am beginning to suspect that I cannot be the only one with this problem.

I really need to be able to view secure web pages on this unit. If not, the unit is close to useless for my uses, so I hope a solution can be found!

Cheers!
CJ

Last edited by CJY; 11-28-2014 at 09:36 AM.
CJY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 09:36 AM   #18
CJY
Zealot
CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
Perhaps some of the CA certificates stored on the device have expired or been revoked?
Good call, as per my above post... but it has to be more than just 'some of' them, at least all SSL pages that I have tried fail to load.

I am not too familiar with SSL certificates. Do you know if this is something that can be added by myself?

Cheers!
CJ

Edit: According to Booxtor, he cannot replicate the issue on his M92s with the latest f/w, so it seems it is only me. This is really weird!

Last edited by CJY; 11-28-2014 at 11:57 AM.
Old 11-28-2014, 01:02 PM   #19
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
The browser usually has a list of CA certificates that it uses for verification. If you're using the same browser and firmware as Booxter, and it works for him, then it's likely not to be a problem with the certificates.

Perhaps the https port is being blocked somewhere upstream of you. That could explain why others don't see the problem. Do you have a firewall with aggressive settings?
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 03:33 PM   #20
CJY
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
The browser usually has a list of CA certificates that it uses for verification. If you're using the same browser and firmware as Booxter, and it works for him, then it's likely not to be a problem with the certificates.

Perhaps the https port is being blocked somewhere upstream of you. That could explain why others don't see the problem. Do you have a firewall with aggressive settings?
Firewall would not block out-going, but I see where you are coming from... but, I have about 10 other devices on the network, all working fine. The M92 was also working fine until about a month ago, and no changes has been made to the set-up.
I am stumped, but one test I can think of is to find another, open, network and try it.
Other than that, I really don't know.

Thanks for helping, though, much appreciated.

Cheers!
CJ

Edit: Just to be on the safe side, I checked the router logs whilst attempting SSL from the M92, no errors or warnings.

Last edited by CJY; 11-28-2014 at 04:41 PM.
Old 01-06-2015, 04:16 PM   #21
medvedev
Connoisseur
medvedev can teach chickens to fly.medvedev can teach chickens to fly.medvedev can teach chickens to fly.medvedev can teach chickens to fly.medvedev can teach chickens to fly.medvedev can teach chickens to fly.medvedev can teach chickens to fly.medvedev can teach chickens to fly.medvedev can teach chickens to fly.medvedev can teach chickens to fly.medvedev can teach chickens to fly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJY View Post
Could I just ask someone with an M92 and booxtor's f/w to try e.g. https://duckduckgo.com/ to see if I am the only one with this issue?
This site doesn't work on my M92 with the latest fw if I type in the url directly.
medvedev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 05:03 PM   #22
CJY
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by medvedev View Post
This site doesn't work on my M92 with the latest fw if I type in the url directly.
Thank you so much for trying, appreciated!

I do suspect that it is all HTTPS sites now, though. It is for me...

Cheers!
CJ
Old 01-06-2015, 05:32 PM   #23
tuxor
Addict
tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!

Device: Onyx Boox M92, Icarus Illumina E653
Doesn't work for me either (tested several https-pages). I'm using version 1.8 20131204.
tuxor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 06:38 AM   #24
CJY
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxor View Post
Doesn't work for me either (tested several https-pages). I'm using version 1.8 20131204.
Thank you so much, both!

I did suspect as much. What confused me is that Booxtor (in separate correspondence) claims he cannot replicate the issue, as I am, by now, convinced that our old washingboard of a browser (Safari 533.5?) simply cannot keep up with the new SSL 3.1 (in line with rkomar's post above).

Does anyone know if this is something we can rectify ourselves, e.g. download and copy the certificates to a file location?

For many, it probably doesn't matter much, but for me, it is a big deal, and without SSL...

Cheers!
CJ
Old 01-07-2015, 11:14 AM   #25
CJY
Zealot

I just tried Factory reset, then installing the latest firmware (again), on top of the MFG tool clear.

Testing it, I notice something strange: Of all, https://google/com actually works. Now, I don't know whether Google has some function where it default 'down' to a lesser encryption if the browser cannot handle the higher version. From the details below, I very much suspect it.

All other SSL sites I have tried, fails.

Encryption level (as reported from a PC with Pale Moon on Linux).

This works:
https://google.com - AES128-GCM, 128 bit keys

These fail:
https://webmail.hosts.co.uk/ - RC4, 128 bit keys
https://startpage.com/ - AES256-GCM, 256 bit keys
https://duckduckgo.com/ - AES256-GCM, 256 bit keys
https://firstlook.org/theintercept/ - AES128-GCM, 128 bit keys
https://www.techdirt.com/ - AES128-GCM, 128 bit keys

As you can see from the last two, same encryption as Google.
I am at a complete loss...

Any ideas are most welcome!

Cheers!
CJ
Old 01-07-2015, 03:45 PM   #26
medvedev
Connoisseur
medvedev can teach chickens to fly.medvedev can teach chickens to fly.medvedev can teach chickens to fly.medvedev can teach chickens to fly.medvedev can teach chickens to fly.medvedev can teach chickens to fly.medvedev can teach chickens to fly.medvedev can teach chickens to fly.medvedev can teach chickens to fly.medvedev can teach chickens to fly.medvedev can teach chickens to fly.

I'm fed up with the web browser of M92: it's absolutely useless!
E.g.: I need 10-15 minutes to check my mails!

The GUI is crap und the input fields on most sites don't work! You can't type in any text!
I don't ask for help anymore; I resigned and don't use the browser.

Last edited by medvedev; 01-08-2015 at 01:37 PM. Reason: spelling
medvedev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 04:32 PM   #27
CJY
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by medvedev View Post
I'm fed up with the web browser of M92: it's absolutely useless!
E.g.: I need 10-15 minutes to check my mails!

The GUI is crap und the input fields on most sited don't work! You can't type in any text!
I don't ask for help anymore; I resigned and don't use the browser.
Harsh as it may sound, though, I agree with you.
What is annoying me, is that I had gotten used to working within the limits of it (and using other platforms for more demanding stuff); but now the thing is not just bad, it is regressing!

So yeah, I am agreeing with you!

Maybe it is just time to look for something else...

Cheers!
CJ
Old 01-08-2015, 01:30 PM   #28
Manolo
Addict
Manolo has learned how to read e-booksManolo has learned how to read e-booksManolo has learned how to read e-booksManolo has learned how to read e-booksManolo has learned how to read e-booksManolo has learned how to read e-booksManolo has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kobo AuraH2O & Onyx i62HD & M92
I doesn't work HTTPs for me in duckduckgo
I try in my M92 and i62hd both with firmware July 2013
Manolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 01:33 PM   #29
CJY
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolo View Post
I doesn't work HTTPs for me in duckduckgo
I try in my M92 and i62hd both with firmware July 2013
Thank you!

Cheers!
CJ
Old 01-09-2015, 02:03 AM   #30
Alf77
Enthusiast
Alf77 began at the beginning.

Device: M92 & M96
for me http*S*:\\www.google.com or http*S*:\\news.google.com works.

As it works this browser, so slow.

I have the latest firmware. drive.google.com is still loading and I know that gmail works both in html than in the standard view (even this is unusable for slowness).

However I jut got M96 and it's another world: I tried (just to try youtube and no video, but audio works).

If you want me to check some other adresses, please just ask.

Alf
Alf77 is offline   Reply With Quote