Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 03-22-2010, 08:32 PM   #1
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
It's a bird, it's a plane, it's SuperEZ!!

Dear All:

Yes, word has leaked out that there is a new 6 inch; and Astak will sell it as the Astak EZ Reader PLUS.

This is a very well loaded 6 inch device that has the Epson Controller, 400MHz processor, 16 level grey scale, USB 2.0., SD card slot to 16GB, Hyperlinks and Search Engine, still comes with the crush-resistant case and ear buds, and (UNBELIEVABLY) will be priced the same as the older EZ Reader Basic. Hell has frozen over!!

You can see more of a run-down on my blog: www.robertbEZ.blogspot.com!

Am I happy? YES!! I asked for this four months ago and theyturned me down flat. Now, they pop up a surprise and this could be the ideal 6 inch!! It may not be a Kindle-Killer but it should severely wound ( no offense to Kindle living or dead).
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 09:25 PM   #2
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
That sounds cool.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-22-2010, 09:33 PM   #3
AlexGrant
Electronic R&D Engineer
AlexGrant began at the beginning.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO 5"
After PLUS will be version ++, then version #, then Visual EZ Reader with really white screen
Robert, I would like to be Alpha & Beta tester for new firmware for Astak EZ Reader Pro 5". I have new EZ Reader Pro, and would like to help make it better. I am Analog/Digital R&D engineer with 30 yrs experience, PC programmer (20 years), and microcontroller's programmer (14 years). I think I can be a good tester because I will not cry if my EZ Reader will crash often: I have passion for testing new toys.
As electronic design engineer I think I will offer very good suggestions how to improve EZ Reader. For now - to make battery last longer - eliminate LED blink every time when the page turns - it is annoing, and useleless, and eats a lot of energy. Another suggestion: add function - disconnect power from SD card, when it is not in use - SD card consumes energy.
AlexGrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 09:35 PM   #4
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Great news. Robert, do you ever get stressed running between us nagging and your PM saying "no I'm not going to tell you"?

Serious question, the new 6" SuperEZ, will the unit feel like the current 6" or will it have a rubberised coating like the PP?
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 09:48 PM   #5
cancelx
Nervous Groupie
cancelx began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket Pro
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

And this while I'm still waiting for my 6" to come, errrr, hahaha

Last edited by cancelx; 03-22-2010 at 10:14 PM.
cancelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-23-2010, 12:08 PM   #6
irenas
Zealot
irenas began at the beginning.

Device: Astak EZ reader
Can I trade in my 1 month old 6'' EZ Reader?
Hahaha
irenas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 12:31 PM   #7
Robertb
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Nagging and the PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solicitous View Post
Great news. Robert, do you ever get stressed running between us nagging and your PM saying "no I'm not going to tell you"?

Serious question, the new 6" SuperEZ, will the unit feel like the current 6" or will it have a rubberised coating like the PP?
Dear Solicitous:

I am stressed a lot lately. I go for a week posting replies and then all of a sudden the PM reads them and calls me aside for a little mean talk! I get carried away with trying to help... and he is the opposite: "DO NOT say anything". The stress is in having an answer to a legitimate question and having to stay quiet. Like this eBook Store thing. Thank God it looks like I will get permission today to stop saying "this certain eBook Site" and tell people it is open and where to go. Our PM is actually a very smart and well-intentioned fellow. He just likes to do things the Apple Way: nothing at all until release. Me? I like to build up excitement and let people know something special is coming!

The word right now is the SuperEZ will have the exact same feel as the current EZ Reader Basic. This may change in two weeks... but right now I am hearing it will be exactly the same and not "rubberized". Still non-slip, but not like the PP.
Old 03-23-2010, 12:35 PM   #8
Robertb

Alex would be perfect

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexGrant View Post
After PLUS will be version ++, then version #, then Visual EZ Reader with really white screen
Robert, I would like to be Alpha & Beta tester for new firmware for Astak EZ Reader Pro 5". I have new EZ Reader Pro, and would like to help make it better. I am Analog/Digital R&D engineer with 30 yrs experience, PC programmer (20 years), and microcontroller's programmer (14 years). I think I can be a good tester because I will not cry if my EZ Reader will crash often: I have passion for testing new toys.
As electronic design engineer I think I will offer very good suggestions how to improve EZ Reader. For now - to make battery last longer - eliminate LED blink every time when the page turns - it is annoing, and useleless, and eats a lot of energy. Another suggestion: add function - disconnect power from SD card, when it is not in use - SD card consumes energy.
Dear Alex:

I have no doubt that you would be an excellent Beta tester, seriously!! However, the PM makes those decisions as to whether we will do Beta test or not! That is his decision. I have to wait for him to ask me whi we could get... then I will bring you and a few more names to light. I just do not want to promise and then have him go ballistic. I sense your passion and that is what we need: passion!

Alex... I copied your initial post on your qualifications and will forward to the PP. He seems quite receptive to the help!

Last edited by Robertb; 03-26-2010 at 08:48 PM.
Old 03-23-2010, 12:38 PM   #9
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Actually, I hope to have the ultimate 6" e-reader in a year or two. Imagine an e0reader with a 5.7" Mirasol bistable color screen (if it makes it out the door)...
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 05:25 PM   #10
rleguillow
Always Reading
rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: FW 1192, PRS-700, kobo, Rocket, PRS-650, Nook Glow, Kobo Glo, others
Thumbs up THANK YOU ROBERT!

I've been pondering the Aztaks, grumbling to myself about the PP being faster and better and all that with only a 5" screen when I'm used to a 6" and don't particularly want to switch.
You just made my day!
WOOT!
rleguillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 05:50 PM   #11
Robertb

Thank you for posting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rleguillow View Post
I've been pondering the Aztaks, grumbling to myself about the PP being faster and better and all that with only a 5" screen when I'm used to a 6" and don't particularly want to switch.
You just made my day!
WOOT!
Dear rleguillow:

I hope you will join our merry little Astak band. We appear to be growing in devices; and there are a lot more in the pipeline. Tomorrow I will be announcing a very special eBook Reader Store.

Yes, I think you should LOVE the EZ Reader PLUS as it has all the stability of the regular EZ Reader Basic and then bumps it up enormously!

In any case, I like this new device and it IS good to see a 6 inch without too many expensive features that just does great reading at a fast clip and gives almost frightening clarity on illustrations! Astak is finally growing again!
Old 03-23-2010, 06:31 PM   #12
rleguillow
Always Reading
rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: FW 1192, PRS-700, kobo, Rocket, PRS-650, Nook Glow, Kobo Glo, others
Something for the PM to think about, maybe...

Dear Robertb,
You say your PM likes to keep things undercover and you like to tease folks with the thrill of what is coming. Here's my thought on that.

I did not want to settle for a 5" screen, so the PP was out. I had a nasty feeling that if I bought the current EZReader to get a 6" screen, I'd always have that little "but I could have gotten a [faster, brighter, clearer, more whatever] one instead of this". Not having any idea that SuperEZ was about to be sprung on us, my response to this dilemma was to look at other manufacturer's products.

Now, in some ways, I can understand your PM not wanting to let the cat out of the bag. After all, you have competition, and they may be reading this site as avidly as we consumers do. Can't be giving away all your good ideas, can you?

But I'm sure the PM doesn't want to be losing sales to the competition. So a sneak peek of what is in the works might keep a potential customer on the hook.

My opinion. But here I am, One Potential Customer, nicely hooked and willing to wait. Chalk one up to your little announcement, and pat yourself on the back.

rleguillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 06:50 PM   #13
silverraven
Guru
silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle 4NTB x 4
I'd have gotten one on the day they were released, but alas my pennies are spent.
Maybe have a trade in program of the old model?
S
silverraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 07:04 PM   #14
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverraven View Post
Maybe have a trade in program of the old model?
There are two EZ Reader Basic's on eBay for $175-190. These are the asking prices, but it seems likely you could net ~$150 towards a new device. I'm not convinced that it is worth upgrading from a V3 to a V3+, but the V3+ is definitely a more competitive Reader for 1st time buyers. We don't know what the A6 will cost, but it is likely to be a better upgrade to a EZ Reader Basic.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 07:54 PM   #15
Robertb

Cannot pat on back

Quote:
Originally Posted by rleguillow View Post
Dear Robertb,
You say your PM likes to keep things undercover and you like to tease folks with the thrill of what is coming. Here's my thought on that.

I did not want to settle for a 5" screen, so the PP was out. I had a nasty feeling that if I bought the current EZReader to get a 6" screen, I'd always have that little "but I could have gotten a [faster, brighter, clearer, more whatever] one instead of this". Not having any idea that SuperEZ was about to be sprung on us, my response to this dilemma was to look at other manufacturer's products.

Now, in some ways, I can understand your PM not wanting to let the cat out of the bag. After all, you have competition, and they may be reading this site as avidly as we consumers do. Can't be giving away all your good ideas, can you?

But I'm sure the PM doesn't want to be losing sales to the competition. So a sneak peek of what is in the works might keep a potential customer on the hook.

My opinion. But here I am, One Potential Customer, nicely hooked and willing to wait. Chalk one up to your little announcement, and pat yourself on the back.

Dear rleguillow:

You and I think alike. I feel that leaking a very small amount of info can help people remotely thinking of an Astak to wait. I see nothing wrong with little tidbits of info.

The PM thinks that we should shut up and wait until we have release. His worry is justified... people will aways press for more info and he does not want to disappoint. Factories have a habit of making a chnage or changes at the last second. If I say "it will likely have XYZ on it"... that becomes "you can bet that it will have XYZ with no doubt".

BUT... if you say nothing and just wait people will drift away from the forum thinking "nothing new is happening". It is a realistic problem. The point is that a forum should be WHERE we can discuss new ideas and hope to incorporate them. If there is no discussion then there are bored members. Yet... if I give too much info they could ban me from the forum or a factory could simply cancel us. Then we all lose.

Thank you!!