Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-13-2010, 11:31 PM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
The neatest thing I saw at CES: PVI's flexible E-ink screen

I decided to post this story separate from the one on Pocketbook. I think it's worth it.

Pocketbook had a prototype 9.7" ebook reader with the new flexible screen in its booth at CES. You might not be able to see it in the photos, but when I held it in my hands I could see the screen wasn't flat. There was a slight bulge behind the screen from one of the circuit boards.

I asked, and I was told that there will be 2 models. The basic model (PB901) is projected to cost around $450 and be available in September. The PB902 will have Wifi and a touchscreen, and will be available later.

BTW, this isn't the first mention of the Pocketbook 901. There was a couple pictures posted in MobileRead's Deutsches Forum. But I do believe these are the first shots in the wild.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0555.JPG
Views:	1159
Size:	1.37 MB
ID:	43352   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0556.JPG
Views:	1195
Size:	1.33 MB
ID:	43353   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0562.JPG
Views:	1139
Size:	1.39 MB
ID:	43354   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0563.JPG
Views:	1008
Size:	1.46 MB
ID:	43355  

Last edited by Nate the great; 01-13-2010 at 11:54 PM.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 11:37 PM   #2
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
NOW WE ARE TALKING!!! Coooooome-on COLOR 902!! Your leetle bro the 360 is gonna need a friend, unless of course someone comes out with an EDGE running a full install of Win7 and PixelQi LCD panel...

Did you hear me Yar?!?!?! hehehehe....I'm serious...really, I MEAN IT THIS TIME!!!

Thanks for the info Nate...great shots as well.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2010, 11:46 PM   #3
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
hahah i was about to post a thread titled "Russian government testing secret ereader" i figured the overly melodramatic title would hook a few people in

Charbax did a video of this with them but i havent seen it yet.

absolutely first shots of this screen in a device in the wild.

This case is actually just a rough prototype they put together for a test by the Russian education minister. Its not the final design at all.

I think some might not understand the difference between this display and that used by Plastic Logic. While this PVI panel is using a plastic back pane it is still using silicon based transistors. Plastic Logics panel is made with a plastic back pane and PLASTIC transistors.

The tech for the plastic back pane is quite a process. they first create the plastic by spraying it onto a piece of glass, they the they create the tft layer on that and finally they shave it off the glass with a laser. the glass is re-used http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EPLaR

Last edited by Dulin's Books; 01-13-2010 at 11:52 PM.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 11:50 PM   #4
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brecklundin View Post

what do you think? do i have a future as a hand model?
Old 01-13-2010, 11:50 PM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
The basic model (PB901) is projected to cost around $450 and be available in September.
So, PVI's flexible screens won't be in full production until September? That is disappointing.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2010, 12:40 AM   #6
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
that is some cool stuff, I'm excited for the 2010 crop of readers
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 12:43 AM   #7
Yar-PocketBooker
Fanatic
Yar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: PocketBooks and Onyxes and anything E-Ink...
Quote:
Originally Posted by brecklundin View Post
NOW WE ARE TALKING!!! Coooooome-on COLOR 902!! Your leetle bro the 360 is gonna need a friend, unless of course someone comes out with an EDGE running a full install of Win7 and PixelQi LCD panel...

Did you hear me Yar?!?!?! hehehehe....I'm serious...really, I MEAN IT THIS TIME!!!

I'm not quite sure about PlasticQi screen yet...but if this is something worth investing, I'm sure my folks there in Kiev will be first in line for it...
Yar-PocketBooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 12:44 AM   #8
Yar-PocketBooker
Fanatic
Yar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: PocketBooks and Onyxes and anything E-Ink...
Nate, thanks, great pictures!
Yar-PocketBooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 03:15 AM   #9
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
September ? bumer...
If 901 is september, then 902 is like 2011... And I certainly hope that i'll have found a large screen reader by then.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 07:28 AM   #10
Godzil
a pthread?? where? where?
Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Newton MessagePad 2100, and only this
Plastic backplane screen are not ready for mass production. That's a fact.

But I really dislike the design of the device. It remind me here some laptop from the 80s :/

(And whatever they can say, the PixelQI screen will never be able to compete with bistable screen in term of consumption.
Godzil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 08:10 AM   #11
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
What's the use of wasting a flexible screen on a flat layout?

Wouldn't a rollable or bendable layout be more adequate for such a fantastic screen?
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 08:16 AM   #12
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible View Post
What's the use of wasting a flexible screen on a flat layout?

Wouldn't a rollable or bendable layout be more adequate for such a fantastic screen?
I agree. I'd love a truly flexible screen. One that I can just stick in my bag, even though it might be a bit curved (as my bag can't hold a 9" screen including bezel).
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 08:18 AM   #13
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
I agree. I'd love a truly flexible screen. One that I can just stick in my bag, even though it might be a bit curved (as my bag can't hold a 9" screen including bezel).
You're not mistaken!

Last edited by yvanleterrible; 01-14-2010 at 08:21 AM.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 10:10 AM   #14
Dulin's Books
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzil View Post
Plastic backplane screen are not ready for mass production. That's a fact.

But I really dislike the design of the device. It remind me here some laptop from the 80s :/

(And whatever they can say, the PixelQI screen will never be able to compete with bistable screen in term of consumption.
thats not the final design at all. the case you see there is rapid prototyped and it was only put together for a specific showing to the Russian government. all it needed to do was work and it does. pretty comes later.

Last edited by Dulin's Books; 01-14-2010 at 10:13 AM.
Old 01-14-2010, 10:29 AM   #15
Dulin's Books
Wizard

flexibility allows for larger, lighter, thinner devices

As the displays get larger the possibility of breaking the glass back pane when the device is twisted rises. the main way to offset that is to make the glass thicker. which adds weight and thickness. by removing the glass you make the device more durable and can take better advantage of the thin/light properties of the e-ink

apparently most people aren't ready for a flexible device. Plastic Logic was initially showing about a device that wasn't rigid. People didn't like it. People related bendable to cheap and fragile when its actually the opposite.

PolymerVision faced the same hurdle with Readius. One of the main reasons it went to from fully rollable to sort of folded was because people told them it seemed fragile. There's no difference in the material between the earlier designs and the last prototypes just peoples perception