Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-04-2008, 01:10 PM   #1
Shiren
Connoisseur
Shiren will become famous soon enoughShiren will become famous soon enoughShiren will become famous soon enoughShiren will become famous soon enoughShiren will become famous soon enoughShiren will become famous soon enoughShiren will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505/iPod Touch
Can you download ebooks you own in pbook format?

I have several pbooks I want to to read again and some I haven't read yet. Is it legal for me to download their ebook versions? Morally, I don't see anything wrong with that.
Shiren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 01:12 PM   #2
Shiren
Connoisseur
Shiren will become famous soon enoughShiren will become famous soon enoughShiren will become famous soon enoughShiren will become famous soon enoughShiren will become famous soon enoughShiren will become famous soon enoughShiren will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505/iPod Touch
I apologize as I realize this is probably the wrong forum for this discussion. Can a moderator move it to the lounge please?
Shiren is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-04-2008, 01:21 PM   #3
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiren View Post
I have several pbooks I want to to read again and some I haven't read yet. Is it legal for me to download their ebook versions? Morally, I don't see anything wrong with that.
Morally you may be right, but legally you are not.

Practically, you would have to find a DRM-free source for the ebook too. Of course stuff that is out of copyright (classics) can be had for free and there are many many good examples on this site.

Last edited by ShellShock; 12-04-2008 at 01:24 PM.
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 01:26 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
This forum is fine for such a question.

In some countries it's legal to scan YOURSELF a pBook that you own, for your own personal use.

In most countries it is NOT legal to download copyrighted material from the internet without the consent of the copyright holder. Owning a version of the book in a different format does not change this.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 05:45 PM   #5
Robotech_Master
Fanatic
Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

IANAL (though even if I were a lawyer, I think I'd say I wasn't just for being able to type "ANAL" in all caps like that ) but in the USA, the decision in RIAA vs. Diamond held that it is legal for consumers to "space-shift" media that they own, by copying it into another format. So it would be perfectly legal for you to scan and OCR the books to make e-books for yourself.

But it still wouldn't be legal (AFAIK) for you to download those books and save yourself all that time and effort. Silly laws.
Robotech_Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert