Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-25-2012, 04:22 AM   #1
monstermummy
monstermummy can self-interpret dreams as they happen.monstermummy can self-interpret dreams as they happen.monstermummy can self-interpret dreams as they happen.monstermummy can self-interpret dreams as they happen.monstermummy can self-interpret dreams as they happen.monstermummy can self-interpret dreams as they happen.monstermummy can self-interpret dreams as they happen.monstermummy can self-interpret dreams as they happen.monstermummy can self-interpret dreams as they happen.monstermummy can self-interpret dreams as they happen.monstermummy can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Kindle
I don't like my kindle

But prefer my Sony.

I cannot say what it is, but I do prefer reading on my Sony, prefer holding it.

Yes, the ease of getting books onto the Kindle is fab (I have the 3G version) but I don't enjoy the reading on it. Sounds daft, doesn't it?

It would not be such a problem, if I did not have books in the kindle already I still want to read, would it? I am planning on giving the kindle to my mum but as she is in another country to me it won't be as easy to borrow it and read the rest of the books.

I would like to upgrade to the T1 at some point.

Anyone else prefer one over the other? And what do you do?
monstermummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 04:56 AM   #2
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
It doesn't sound daft at all! I know exactly what you mean even though there are other devices involved in my like/don't like.
For example, I like reading on a Nook better than on a Kobo, though the Kobo has features I absolutely love (the complete control over line spacing and margins). I love to hold the Nook and it has some (but not great) control of line spacing and margins.
I wanted to love the Sony T1, but I didn't (no on-device control of line spacing and margins).
The Sony x50, enhanced with PRS+ firmware has turned out to be my favourites. But that me. This is very personal and what one person loves another person couldn't care less about! (I have a 350 for when I'm on the move and a 950 for home use)
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-25-2012, 07:47 AM   #3
jojoba
Addict
jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3gen, Cybook Odyssey FL HD
I also prefer my Sony to my kindle. I'm in the process of upgrading my kindle to the touch version, as one of the things that was really annoying me on the 4 NT was the keyboard. I might appreciate it a bit more after that.
jojoba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 11:36 AM   #4
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermummy View Post
Get Calibre, google apprentice Alf, and use the tools it suggests to convert the books you have on your Kindle to epub so you can read them on your Sony. Give your Mum the Kindle and get back to enjoying reading on your Sony.

Simple

As for upgrading from your PRS-300 to the T1, just be aware that while it should be better, so should the Kindle have been. Asawi isn't the only one who has tried the T1 and preferred their older Sony.... perhaps try to have a play about with one in the shop before buying?
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 03:39 PM   #5
monstermummy
monstermummy can self-interpret dreams as they happen.monstermummy can self-interpret dreams as they happen.monstermummy can self-interpret dreams as they happen.monstermummy can self-interpret dreams as they happen.monstermummy can self-interpret dreams as they happen.monstermummy can self-interpret dreams as they happen.monstermummy can self-interpret dreams as they happen.monstermummy can self-interpret dreams as they happen.monstermummy can self-interpret dreams as they happen.monstermummy can self-interpret dreams as they happen.monstermummy can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

So glad to hear i am not the only one and that there is a solution for my 'problem' - thank you.

I did have a quick play in store with a T1 and did like it but think I will just use my current one until it really needs replacing, who knows what else will be coming out in the meantime...
Advert
Old 03-25-2012, 10:00 PM   #6
Suzanna
Living in the past
Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Arc
I think many people tend to prefer the first eReader brand they've used. One of my sisters and my brother love their Sony ereaders. My other sister has been a Kobo girl from the beginning (as have I!) She was recently given a free T1 Sony ereader from work and hated it so much, she gave it to our brother (who has a PRS 650.)
Suzanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 12:27 AM   #7
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Diff'rent strokes, and all that.

At least you are enjoying an eReader, period.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 11:32 AM   #8
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
My first e-reader was a Nook Classic, my second a Kindle 3 my third a Sony prs 350. A year or so later...I have all three in updated versions. I prefer reading with the Sony T1 (though I still like my 350). I find it easier to hold & easier to read on. Not sure why. The Sony would be perfect for me if it had the tap page turn & the store was better. I have to say the Kindle store is better & the tap page turn is better.... This is all IMHO.
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 01:24 PM   #9
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingLemur View Post
Diff'rent strokes, and all that.

At least you are enjoying an eReader, period.
Agreed, it is nice to have choices. Get whatever works best for you and fulfills your needs.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 02:05 PM   #10
monstermummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomtroll View Post
My first e-reader was a Nook Classic, my second a Kindle 3 my third a Sony prs 350. A year or so later...I have all three in updated versions. I prefer reading with the Sony T1 (though I still like my 350). I find it easier to hold & easier to read on. Not sure why. The Sony would be perfect for me if it had the tap page turn & the store was better. I have to say the Kindle store is better & the tap page turn is better.... This is all IMHO.
I found that a lot of the books here in the UK seem to be cheaper in the kindle store than other places - that was one of the motivating points to get the kindle. I suppose that the above advice is a way around that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
Agreed, it is nice to have choices. Get whatever works best for you and fulfills your needs.
Oh definetly - I am glad there is the choice and do appreciate that there is no one size fits all.

And I am sure my mum will be very happy to have an ereader as she is struggling holding heavy books for a long time due to rheumatic athritis.
Old 03-26-2012, 04:11 PM   #11
delphin
Evangelist
delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomtroll View Post
. . . The Sony would be perfect for me if it had the tap page turn & the store was better. I have to say the Kindle store is better & the tap page turn is better.... This is all IMHO.
If your Sony T1 is rooted you can use alternatives that do support tap page turns, like FBReader. FBReader allows BOTH taps and swipes at the same time, something Sony should add to the stock built in EPUB reader.

I wish someone would offer a really good rooted Android ROM option for the Sony T1. Sadly the current rooted ROM versions available here on MobileRead are fairly buggy and incomplete (hopefully they will improve over time).

But at least you can run CoolReader and FBReader, which for me was a HUGE plus.
delphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 05:03 PM   #12
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I'm tempted to get rid of my Kindle and get a Sony or a Kobo. I'm tired of not having library loan abilities in Canada or a reader that will support e-pub.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 05:08 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Go for the T1. It's less buggy.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 05:46 PM   #14
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sao View Post
I think many people tend to prefer the first eReader brand they've used.
Taste is not always simply a matter of familiarity.

My first reader was a Kindle Keyboard, my second, a PRS350. It was instantly apparent the 350 offered a better experience for me, just as it became obvious to someone else -- HarryT, I believe -- that the Kindle 3 was better for them.

There might be something to the idea that experience with certain kinds of earlier devices can lead to later preferences. It would be fun to know whether a lot of former Palm/Treo owners now preferred Sony readers to Kindles.

If Amazon and Sony are still making e-ink readers whenever I can justify an upgrade, I'll be interested to see how pronounced the differences still are.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 03-26-2012 at 05:51 PM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 09:19 AM   #15
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermummy View Post
But prefer my Sony.

I cannot say what it is, but I do prefer reading on my Sony, prefer holding it.

Yes, the ease of getting books onto the Kindle is fab (I have the 3G version) but I don't enjoy the reading on it. Sounds daft, doesn't it?

It would not be such a problem, if I did not have books in the kindle already I still want to read, would it? I am planning on giving the kindle to my mum but as she is in another country to me it won't be as easy to borrow it and read the rest of the books.

I would like to upgrade to the T1 at some point.

Hmm...

I just don't understand why the thread is posted on this section. To me, it looks you know which device you want.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote