Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 10-27-2011, 11:05 AM   #1
photoluminations
photoluminations could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.photoluminations could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.photoluminations could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.photoluminations could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.photoluminations could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.photoluminations could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.photoluminations could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.photoluminations could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.photoluminations could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.photoluminations could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.photoluminations could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: none
Angry Cover image for Kindle

Kindle (Fire) requires a single internal cover image which is defined by pointing to a file in the metadata and manifest.

I will do that in Sigil after generating an epub with Calibre.

I can provide the cover as an html page, or as a jpg file.

When I bring an html file into Calibre and go to CONVERT BOOK, there is an option:

CHANGE COVER IMAGE
There is a browse bar to enter a file link (Calibre only allows jpg here, not html)
There is a check box "USE COVER FROM SOURCE"

Do I ignore? Change by file link? Check "use cover from source" ? do both?

Also, I want the book to open at the cover, can I specify that if the cover is not part of the html?

Last edited by photoluminations; 11-05-2011 at 06:35 PM. Reason: please see updated statement as comment below
photoluminations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 11:29 PM   #2
Serpentine
Evangelist
Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
I'm not sure about the Fire reader, however you cant force the Kindle reader to open to the cover - i.e you can specify the book opens to any location but not the cover. So unless you add duplicate cover pages to the book, it just doesnt work like that
Serpentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2011, 01:09 AM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by photoluminations View Post
When I bring an html file into Calibre and go to CONVERT BOOK, there is an option:

CHANGE COVER IMAGE
There is a browse bar to enter a file link (Calibre only allows jpg here, not html)
There is a check box "USE COVER FROM SOURCE"

Do I ignore? Change by file link? Check "use cover from source" ? do both?
If you like the cover you see in front of you in the calibre library ignore the options and just convert to mobi. If you don't like the cover you see then change it by using any of the features you referred to. Of course calibre only allows a jpg there html is not a image.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 03:21 PM   #4
photoluminations
photoluminations could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.photoluminations could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.photoluminations could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.photoluminations could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.photoluminations could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.photoluminations could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.photoluminations could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.photoluminations could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.photoluminations could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.photoluminations could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.photoluminations could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: none
Angry Catalog cover/book cover, incorrect display

The "catalog cover" does NOT display correctly in the Kindle viewer. It falls out of the right-hand frame, with a lot of extra white space on the left. This would not be acceptable for sales purposes. This cover appears if you backspace from the internal cover, which appears when the book is opened.

The "internal cover" appears correctly in the Kindle viewer. This is formed by the first html page in the book.

Please advise if the book cover I am seeing is NOT the catalog cover? If so it would only be seen by pressing the "cover" button or by paging back. But still ugly.

Production method: Internal cover is an html page. Catalog cover is a jpg file, 800 pixels wide by 600 pixels tall. It is specified in the Calibre dialog by selecting the file.
Calibre generates the epub. I get the same problem if I generate the mobi in Calibre or by using Kindlegen. As a sanity check, I viewed the epub in Adobe Digital Editions, and the full cover appears, centered.

Environment: Win XP sp3.
photoluminations is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
convert html to epub, cover, kindle, mobi