Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-06-2010, 11:55 AM   #1
Domokos
Rita Y. Toews
Domokos knows what time it isDomokos knows what time it isDomokos knows what time it isDomokos knows what time it isDomokos knows what time it isDomokos knows what time it isDomokos knows what time it isDomokos knows what time it isDomokos knows what time it isDomokos knows what time it isDomokos knows what time it is

Device: Sony and Hiebook
Nexus One Phone and E-Books

Has anyone seen any comments on the ability of the Nexus One phone from Google to read e-books?
Domokos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 12:14 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
At the end of the day, it's a 3.5" backlit LCD screen, so the experience will not be a terribly rewarding one. I've not come across any Android book-reading applications yet, but I'm sure it's only a matter of time.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 05:28 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
See Android reader software (FBReaderJ, Aldiko and wordplayer) and eReader for Android just announced.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 06:16 PM   #4
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
At the end of the day, it's a 3.5" backlit LCD screen, so the experience will not be a terribly rewarding one.
AMOLED, actually.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 06:34 PM   #5
monsieurms
monsieurms began at the beginning.

Device: palm 680
Question

Is there some way to read PRCs (non secure mobipockets) on 'droid--eReader is already johnny on the spot apparently, as always; Mobipocket continues its march to irrelevance, but I still have a lot of PRC books.

Btw, regarding an initial comment...It's a 3.5 screen that is backlit...so that's a BAD thing?

For me, no backlighting, no interest. Backlighting is one of the things that reinvents books rather than sticks to artificial impediments because of the Way it Was 700 years ago. Way easier to read and makes the device far more useful in a variety of lighting situations. I also see no problem with a 3.5 screen, which is more than big enough for typical book reading and by the way---means it is portable so it is always with you. Showing up--is a big issue. It is of no use if left home.

I love the way Kindle lovers have begun announcing "Oh it's great! It has no backlighting."

I keep going "HUH???"
monsieurms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 01:50 AM   #6
highvista
highvista is on a distinguished road

Device: NOOKcolor, Nexus One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domokos View Post
Has anyone seen any comments on the ability of the Nexus One phone from Google to read e-books?
I've had a T-Mobile G1 for about seven months and have comfortably read many books on it using FBReader. The G1 screen is only 3.1 inches in size, so the N1 with its larger screen should work just fine, as long as you are okay with reading from small-ish backlit LCD screens--it's not for everyone. I also really appreciate that FBReader enables the phone's volume keys for page-turning.

FBReader does well with the ePub e-book format. The excellent Calibre e-book management program can be used to convert many formats to ePub.
highvista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 07:41 AM   #7
monsieurms

Thanks for reminding me of the Calibre convert option. Yes, I suppose that is a way to go with the PRCs. But I do have several HUNDRED of them. Is there a way to read on Nexus Droid without converting?
Old 01-08-2010, 10:55 AM   #8
Domokos
Rita Y. Toews
Domokos knows what time it isDomokos knows what time it isDomokos knows what time it isDomokos knows what time it isDomokos knows what time it isDomokos knows what time it isDomokos knows what time it isDomokos knows what time it isDomokos knows what time it isDomokos knows what time it isDomokos knows what time it is

Device: Sony and Hiebook
Thanks for your posts, everyone!
Domokos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 11:36 AM   #9
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by monsieurms View Post
Is there some way to read PRCs (non secure mobipockets) on 'droid
FBReaderJ reads MobiPocket PRCs, or at least it does if they don't include MOBI's high compression and if they do include MOBI metadata. So very old PRCs won't work (no metadata) and some new PRCs won't work (high compression), but the majority of PRCs will work and if not there is always conversion via Calibre to ePub (or eReader if you like their Reader app).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 09:02 AM   #10
monsieurms

Thanks, wallcraft.

BTW, returning to the backlighting comment, I just had to add since I saw it today in the wake of the iPAD release...

Lance Ulanoff of PC Magazine quoted in paper today: ""It's very different from the Kindle. I'ts backlit. It's bright. E-reading on this device was kind of impressive."

So...suddenly Apple comes out with something and backlighting is cool (as I've maintained for years). It's no longer a flaw. Yay! But when Kindle came out without backlighting, that became a feature, not a flaw and suddenly everyone's going around saying "It's great! There's no backlighting!" I think we get a lot of nonsense shoved down our throats all the time and Amazon did a heckuva job of propaganda here. I find brighter screens far easier to read, and of course backlighting makes it easy to read in low light conditions. I'd never buy an e-reader without backlighting available.
Old 02-03-2010, 01:10 AM   #11
Ciaran
Ciaran began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I use Aldiko on my N1. It does use the volume buttons to change pages and you can slide your finger up/down the page to change the brightness. It works fine. Not as nice as the big screen on the kindle but its always with me.
Ciaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 07:44 AM   #12
monsieurms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciaran View Post
I use Aldiko on my N1. It does use the volume buttons to change pages and you can slide your finger up/down the page to change the brightness. It works fine. Not as nice as the big screen on the kindle but its always with me.
"always with me"--yep. A convergence device means it is always with you. Showing up is most of the battle. If it is left at home because you already have too many devices or because it is too big--it does not matter how good it is!

The screen size is no problem. Just make the fonts larger or change where you view from, and considering that a smartphone can be held in one hand, that's inevitable anyway. I'm not bothered by the screen size at all for simple ebook reading.

If I were researching something and having to skim hundreds of pages looking for a nugget of info--the bigger the screen the better. But that's not what I use ebooks for.
Old 02-11-2010, 04:59 PM   #13
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
I recently got a Motorola Droid & have used Aldiko and and looked at Wordplayer. Both are adequate for short reading sessions & often the small size and backlight for these type of reading sessions is a plus. The battery life is not sufficient for longer sessions anyway. I usually need to charge mine every night.

The really nice thing about it is that it incorporates most of the PDA functions I want so I have now combined two devices into one. Also the software "PDAnet" by June Fabrics allows internet tethering (i.e. I can use my Droid as a 3G modem for my laptop). They also have a version of PDAnet for the iPhone, the Palm Treo & Centro, Windows Mobile phones and the Blackberry.

Last edited by slayda; 02-11-2010 at 05:02 PM.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ebooks, nexus