Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-16-2009, 09:29 AM   #1
Goldex
Goldex began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Tranfering HTML to Kindle

I donwloaded a ".chm"-book (not very accustomed to these, since i use mac and they are native to windows) and used the program Tubby to extract it into html.
This made it into a folder with several html-pages. How to i transfer this as one book to my Kindle 2? Which of the html files do i choose after clicking "add books" in Calibre, and do i need to do any more work to the book before i can add it?

Edit: I choose the Table of Contents-html-file but the structure of the document turns out really messed up on the kindle.
During the export it took several mintues and if i pressed "job details" it just kept writing the following for each html-file in the folder:
Stylesheet 'style.css' referenced by file 'ch02lev1sec9.html' not in manifest
Stylesheet 'docsafari.css' referenced by file 'ch02lev1sec9.html' not in manifest
etc.
etc.

Last edited by Goldex; 12-16-2009 at 09:32 AM.
Goldex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 11:43 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Normally one would add to Calibre the file that would be the top of the tree in a browser, and that would pull in the remaining files. Calibre puts all the files into a ZIP file. As you were getting conversion errors it might be worth looking inside the ZIP file to see what has actually been added - maybe you need to add some more files manually?

It is also worth checking what the expanded file looks like in a browser. Many of the "expanders" do not seem to leave you with content that is formatted usefully. Conversion by Calibre is not going to magically tidy up any formatting issues.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 12:12 PM   #3
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
I always dump all the HTML files into a Zip file first, then drag it into Calibre, and it does the rest.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote