Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 10-27-2012, 05:39 PM   #16
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
While Kobo doesn't want to forbid people from using books from other sources on their devices (being "open" is decent publicity, after all), but nothing says they have to take steps to make it easy...
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 02:57 PM   #17
Senior
Zealot
Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
While Kobo doesn't want to forbid people from using books from other sources on their devices (being "open" is decent publicity, after all), but nothing says they have to take steps to make it easy...
Just reading a review on another eReader site on the Kobo Glo and one of the things it says is it can access the local library's?? Kobo makes no mention of this on their site, but can it?
Senior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 03:05 PM   #18
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
(QUOTE=Senior;2307400]Just reading a review on another eReader site on the Kobo Glo and one of the things it says is it can access the local library's?? Kobo makes no mention of this on their site, but can it?[/QUOTE]

You can "access" the library via the web browser but you can't download the book directly to the Glo from the library site as it is not an "epub" at that point, it is an "acsm" file which, which must be opened in Adobe Digital Editions (or a device/app compatible with ADE) in order to read.
Once that is done, it can be transfered to the reader using USB or Dropbox

Last edited by Cdesja5; 11-18-2012 at 07:42 AM.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:56 PM   #19
scrapking
Evangelist
scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senior View Post
Just reading a review on another eReader site on the Kobo Glo and one of the things it says is it can access the local library's?? Kobo makes no mention of this on their site, but can it?
I personally just buy books, but most people I know borrow books from the library on their e-ink Kobo readers all the time.
scrapking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 01:32 PM   #20
Senior
Zealot
Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Glo

OK, many thanks to all who gave such good advise, I bought the Kobo Glo after reading the lack of service Sony owners experience. So that leaves me with one more question. WE had a Mr Nobody who usually had great answers to Kobo questions so if he is on tap I put this to him. Since both the Vox and Glo have sd card ports. Can I download from my internal card an ebook I bought from Kobo or Kindle, and then place the sd card into my wife's Glo for her to read? If so, is it relatively easy? (2 questions)
Old 11-22-2012, 02:57 PM   #21
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
Be aware that strange things can happen if you have content other then ebooks on your SD card. This is what happened to me when I took my wife's unused (so I thought) SD card from her phone to use in my Touch.

Otherwise, it should work no problem.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 04:23 PM   #22
oldyellr
Evangelist
oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kobo Vox, Amazon Fire 7
The Vox puts its own directory structure on the micro SD card and probably so does the Glo, but I can't tell you if they're the same. What you could do is copy the books onto a fresh card and stick it in the Glo to see it it finds them.
oldyellr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 07:11 PM   #23
Senior
Zealot

I like the idea of copying the books from my internal card to a clean external card, but how do I locate the books on my internal card as are they not all under code letters and no titles, or am I looking in the wrong folders?
Old 11-23-2012, 05:19 AM   #24
echwel
Connoisseur
echwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Forma (sold), Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senior View Post
Since both the Vox and Glo have sd card ports. Can I download from my internal card an ebook I bought from Kobo or Kindle, and then place the sd card into my wife's Glo for her to read? If so, is it relatively easy? (2 questions)
1a. You need a computer to copy it from internal memory to sd-card, I guess.
1b. You have to take notice of DRM. If you use the same kobo-account on your Vox and your wife's Glo, it will probably work for the kobo-bought books. There is a difference with them bought directly to the device, or via sideload. Then you probably you also need to share a Adobe-account. Also the Kindle-books might be DRM-ed with Adobe (don't know how they do it).
1c. Kindle-books are probably in .mobi-format? I'm not sure about the Glo supporting .mobi-books.
1d. You probably need conversions for either format and/or DRM in case not all of the above mentioned issues are solved.
2. If you know what you do, it is probably relatively easy. If not....

Either way, I would say that it is possible, to my thoughts the easiest way via Calibre, probably with help of 'Apprentice Alf':
Connect your Vox to your computer.
Copy the books from the Vox to the computer.
Import them into Calibre, probably with help of Alf. If the kobo-bought books are .kepubs, you need to download them first from the store as .epubs (not by syncing via desktop-software, but from browser).
If necessary, convert .mobi's to epub.
Disconnect the Vox, first in the software, then disconnect the cable.
Connect the Glo.
Send the books to the Glo from Calibre.
Disconnect the Glo, first in the software, then disconnect the cable.
Read books on the Glo.
echwel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 02:04 PM   #25
Senior
Zealot

I thought I should end this thread by telling how this Christmas gift turned out. I bought my wife a Kobo Glo for Christmas which she returned on Boxing Day for a Kobo Arc. Now we officially have 2 Kobos, so, how do you share the ebooks? I have had my Vox for a year and have twenty plus books on it, some of which my wife would like to have on her's. According to Kobo help they said to set up a shared account. I see no way to do this. If my wife wants a book I have previously bought from Kobo exactly how does she go about this? Surely we do not need to buy two of every book.
Old 12-27-2012, 02:27 PM   #26
oldyellr
Evangelist
oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Well, you can't legally share ebooks except by trading readers to read them, just like you would trade physical books. Even then, the publishers might begrudge each of you not buying you own copy. However, if you don't feel that's right and aren't afraid of Big Brother breaking down your door to see what you're doing, there is a way. Google "sharing books with calibre".
Old 12-27-2012, 03:03 PM   #27
dmacmart
Fanatic
dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Glo, Arc, H2O, iPhone, iPad 2, (husband)Touch
Or you could use one account for two (or more) Kobos. Just be aware if you are reading the same book at the same time, bookmarks can get confusing :0)
dmacmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 03:34 PM   #28
oldyellr
Evangelist

Yes, that works too. But if you fall asleep and touch the screen, you lose your place anyway.