Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Related Tools

Notices

Old 08-07-2011, 12:32 AM   #1
pchrist7
Addict
pchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle 3 3G+Wifi, Oasis
Question Upgrading Calibre triggers full library backup ?

Hi All
Is anyone else observing that a full library backup is done when you start Calibre after an upgrade ?
Could be my setup, but don't know.
No problem really, just curious.

Brgds Per
pchrist7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 05:19 AM   #2
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
What do you mean by 'full backup'? The only backup mechanism I'm aware of is the metadata backup to OPF, which should only run once for the full library when you install the version introducing that feature.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 06:11 AM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by pchrist7 View Post
Is anyone else observing that a full library backup is done when you start Calibre after an upgrade ?
I don't notice anything along these lines.

Quote:
Could be my setup, but don't know.
If you have calibre's program directory set to sync/backup changed files this could be what your seeing after you install a new version. I'm fairly sure though that what you're seeing is not a function of calibre.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 10:45 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Would the introduction of a new Metadata field trigger an automatic update of the stored (backup ) OPF files?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 12:12 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Would the introduction of a new Metadata field trigger an automatic update of the stored (backup ) OPF files?
No, only if a value is set for the new field for all books.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 01:13 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
No, only if a value is set for the new field for all books.
Thanks for the clarify
Old 08-09-2011, 05:14 AM   #7
pchrist7
Addict
pchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animals

OPF backup - yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manichean View Post
What do you mean by 'full backup'? The only backup mechanism I'm aware of is the metadata backup to OPF, which should only run once for the full library when you install the version introducing that feature.
Sorry for delayed answer, been a bit hectic at work.
Yes, I meant a full OPF backup
Library ->Library Maintenance ->Library Metadata Backup Status

8.12 Showed me 0 to be backed up before installing 8.13.
After upgrade, 1600 books needed backup.
Sunday I installed the new 8.13, and again 1600 books needed backup.

Will look more into it during 8.14 upgrade.

Brgds Per
Old 08-09-2011, 05:23 AM   #8
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yes, I meant a full OPF backup
Library ->Library Maintenance ->Library Metadata Backup Status

8.12 Showed me 0 to be backed up before installing 8.13.
After upgrade, 1600 books needed backup.
Sunday I installed the new 8.13, and again 1600 books needed backup.
I just reviewed this setting and mine also says 0 books. I also spot checked and found that for books that had not been updated recently the metadata.opf files were also not updated recently.

I will look at the status after I initially install 0.8.14. Even if it says 8611 books need backed up I know that it is not doing this. If what you see occurs for all of us then I suspect it takes a little time for the new version to index/verify the status and until it does it reports (however briefly) inaccurate numbers.

Good Luck.
Old 08-09-2011, 06:32 AM   #9
pchrist7
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
I just reviewed this setting and mine also says 0 books. I also spot checked and found that for books that had not been updated recently the metadata.opf files were also not updated recently.

I will look at the status after I initially install 0.8.14. Even if it says 8611 books need backed up I know that it is not doing this. If what you see occurs for all of us then I suspect it takes a little time for the new version to index/verify the status and until it does it reports (however briefly) inaccurate numbers.

Good Luck.
I also did a few spot checks, shows that books not changed in 1 year, have opf files with timestamp after upgrade.
Even an old rar file not yet converted.
Let's see in 8.14

I'm certain I've told Norton to keep away from Calibre/Libraries.

Brgds Per
Old 08-09-2011, 06:44 AM   #10
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
I also did a few spot checks, shows that books not changed in 1 year, have opf files with timestamp after upgrade.
Even an old rar file not yet converted.
Let's see in 8.14

Brgds Per
Could it be because you initiated a backup after seeing 1600 books needed backup?
Old 08-09-2011, 10:29 AM   #11
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:

Brgds Per
That was smart
I now keep Norton away from my computer after Norton disabled my legitimate, reinstalled (after a HD formating incident) copy.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:39 AM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
There is no 0.8.14. The current is still 0.8.13.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 10:09 PM   #13
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
There is no 0.8.14. The current is still 0.8.13.
Thanks, but we all know that 0.8.14 hasn't come out yet. That was the whole point about talking about checking things again once the next (0.8.14) version comes out.
Old 08-12-2011, 08:55 AM   #14
pchrist7
Addict

AHA - new situation

Hi All
I THINK I can clear Calibre as a "suspect" for this problem.
I didn't do any upgrades, so what did I do to trigger this ?
(calibre doing almost full opf backup of main library)
Did some convertion tries of a book, couldn't get it right, SO remove the mobi from Calibre, removed the same from collection on K3, and deleted same from K3.
Bought same from AMZ, sent to K4PC, imported into Calibre(ssssshhhh), sent to K3, everything ok, "I think, so far".
Forgot to check libr. opf back status, naturally :-(
Then I did an import of K3 collections to Calibre using "the plugin" and boom
1688 books needed "opf back".

MEME: I'm NOT saying the plugins is the culprit !!!!!!! So don't worry !, yet

I have a blinding headache, but I hope I'll have the chance to test this all over again, before doing any upgrades of Calibre.

Don't get your knickers twisted yet !
This was just an update.
If this should trigger any ideas/things to look for during tested, I would be pleased, though.

Otherwise
Have a nice weekend,
(need to sleep, hopefully get rid of this headache)

P.S. Having colleeges: They instantly sympathized with me and said they were sorry I had "Phantom pains"
Ah well, I would have said the same
Old 08-13-2011, 01:58 AM   #15
pchrist7
Addict

Calibre upgrade is NOT the culprit

Hi All
Decided to start the tests by just doing a Calibre upgrade.
Before upgrade, 8.13 - 0 books to backup, after upgrade to 8.14 - 0 books to backup.
Need to do some planning/testing before I can determine what triggers the full opf library backup.
Have a nice weekend,
Brgds Per