Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-16-2010, 09:11 PM   #16
marleyfan
marleyfan began at the beginning.

Device: kobo, htc hero, comfy chair
Quote:
Originally Posted by trogdor View Post
I haven't had much time to play with it yet (aside from reading from it).
I've had mine for about a week and I HAVE had time to play with it. As a frizbee it's pretty much useless. Ditto for skipping it down at the lake. It didn't float nearly as well as I had hoped in the bathtub and it was hard to grip when I played ping pong with it. Pretty much all this thing IS good for is reading from it. Wish I knew that before I bought it.
marleyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 10:11 PM   #17
neo770
neo770 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Smile No Problem

Upgraded via Win7-64-no problem at all.

Page turn button now behaving (had to press 2/3 times previously) and font change is fine.
neo770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-16-2010, 10:51 PM   #18
viviena
Evangelist
viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Currently Kobo Clara HD and Aura One, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by trogdor View Post
I'm just looking for a bit of reassurance that I didn't make a mistake in buying it if there are tons of problems with it.
If you're happy with it and it works for you, then it wasn't a mistake.

I'm quite happy with my Kobo. I do wonder sometimes if my particular Kobo is substandard in battery life, but regular use of computers as well as 3d0g's interesting experiment makes me care less about that. The rest, such as the former font resizing issue and the current auto-shutdown issue, are annoyances which may very well be addressed in future firmware updates.

What gives me peace of mind especially is the responsiveness and keenness of the Kobo developers' team. Any hardware with all the bells and whistles is no good if there's inadequate to nonexistent tech support and company responsibility. Plus, as an early adopter, I know that sometimes things go amiss for a bit (e.g. Vista at its release ), so I'm well prepared to wait things out.
viviena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 12:15 AM   #19
moffattm
Addict
moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Glo
No problems with my Kobo and the upgrade went smoothly.
moffattm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 12:18 AM   #20
wrenn1
Addict
wrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchfork

I've not not had problems with mine.
wrenn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2010, 12:30 AM   #21
*reg*
Human
*reg* is no ebook tyro.*reg* is no ebook tyro.*reg* is no ebook tyro.*reg* is no ebook tyro.*reg* is no ebook tyro.*reg* is no ebook tyro.*reg* is no ebook tyro.*reg* is no ebook tyro.*reg* is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo, iPhone
I had a little issue, but it actually turned out to be a problem with my computer, and once I restarted the computer it was fine.

Upgraded the firmware the other day. No problems.
*reg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 01:22 AM   #22
Jestocost
Jestocost began at the beginning.

No problems for me, and I've had it for a month. I've read four books on it, one of them a huge 700-pager.

Well, one time my Kobo froze (stuck on one screen with the blue light flashing) while opening a book. But a quick poke of the reset button fixed that.

I've never been upset with the battery life, nor have I noticed it running out faster than it should. Overall, it strikes me as a very sturdy and reliable device.
Jestocost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 02:57 AM   #23
GraemeWi
GraemeWi is on a distinguished road

No worries with mine, both pre and post upgrade - I love it
GraemeWi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 09:56 AM   #24
dixieknits
Addict
dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook Color
I've had mine 3 weeks and took in on a week road trip where it was rarely charged and it's working great. I did upgrade it with no problems. I like the easy method of operation and like to load books on from the SD card. I deleted the Borders software.
dixieknits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 01:16 PM   #25
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
My wife and I both love ours.

Because the Kobo is basic and simple, there isn't a whole lot to discuss beyond wish lists for new firmware. It's kind of like, "Yeah, this is a good #2 pencil. It's flat on the sides so it doesn't roll off your desk too easily, and it writes. I wish I didn't have to sharpen it so often. The eraser is just okay...for really big erasing jobs I prefer a Pink Pearl dedicated eraser."
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 01:35 PM   #26
trogdor
trogdor began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marleyfan View Post
I've had mine for about a week and I HAVE had time to play with it. As a frizbee it's pretty much useless. Ditto for skipping it down at the lake. It didn't float nearly as well as I had hoped in the bathtub and it was hard to grip when I played ping pong with it. Pretty much all this thing IS good for is reading from it. Wish I knew that before I bought it.
Damn! I was hoping it'd skip on water well! That's it! I'm returning it!!!
trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 02:48 AM   #27
cadele
Addict
cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles, Sony 650
I adored my Kobo, even despite the font and battery problems....adored it until it bricked on the firmware upgrade....
cadele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 11:20 PM   #28
dafrizz
Ultimate Player
dafrizz will become famous soon enoughdafrizz will become famous soon enoughdafrizz will become famous soon enoughdafrizz will become famous soon enoughdafrizz will become famous soon enoughdafrizz will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo 1, Kobo Touch
No problem here either. Before and after the upgrade.
dafrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 01:14 PM   #29
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Since the upgrade, I've had no problems. It's a great reader for the price.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 01:25 PM   #30
krazyleaf
krazyleaf began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo, HTC Legend
Thumbs up

I haven't had a problem since day one. I've upgraded and still nothing. You'll get no complaint about Kobo out if me.
krazyleaf is offline   Reply With Quote