Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-04-2014, 11:32 AM   #3331
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@Barty: It technically supports both, but, IIRC, since the naming scheme used by the hack is very strict, everything needs to follow it, including the file extension. So you cannot in fact do what you were thinking of, but you can mix & match supported font formats inside the same 'fake' family.

That applies to the K2/3/4 version of the hack.

On the K5, it's the first font family name that matters, so, provided it's different between the two formats, then you'll see both. If on the other hand it matches: here be dragons.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 10:48 AM   #3332
yuiop
yuiop began at the beginning.

Device: K3GB - B00A
Hallo,
I'm new in the forum. I was trying to use my Kindle 3 as external monitor but I messed up.
What I've done:
1. jailbreak
2. launchpad installation
3. kindlevncviewer installation
It didn't work. So I tried other ways:
4. mobileread kindlet kit
5. kual
6. vncviewer json for kual
At this point I could see vncviewer bottons, but it still didn't work.
Vncviewer use wifi or usb network to connect to pc, so I wanted to try the usb network, too.
7. usb-network installation
I was hoping to have access some linux shell, but I couldn't. In Kual I tried to clic some usb-network bottons, but nothing good happened.
I tried to restart another time and came the problem:
I can't mount the Kindle on the computer anymore, if I connect to my computer (I use Ubuntu) the OS try to establish an internet connection through the Kindle, as it was a mobile phone.
On the kindle, the only screen I can see is the one related to eject the kindle from the computer:
"If you want to use your Kindle, please eject your Kindle from your computer."
If I disconnect the usb, nothing happens.
If I hold the power switch for 20 seconds, a white screen appears and anything else.
yuiop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2014, 11:32 AM   #3333
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@yuiop: Don't boot your device while plugged to the computer (or anything, really). Then disable USBNet in KUAL.

(TL;DR: Also, next time: Read The Fantastic Manual ).
Old 06-22-2014, 12:05 PM   #3334
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@yuiop: Don't boot your device while plugged to the computer (or anything, really). Then disable USBNet in KUAL.

Also -
Disable Network Manager !!!!
(^^^ piece of cr.. software ^^^)

See: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=237083
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 12:11 PM   #3335
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Yeah, I'm starting to get why some of the Kobo guys plugged a DHCP server on USBNet's ass...
Advert
Old 06-22-2014, 02:12 PM   #3336
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yeah, I'm starting to get why some of the Kobo guys plugged a DHCP server on USBNet's ass...
There is a DHCP server in the ARMhf install,
also a sample config file.

I did not try it, to see if it can find its config file -
that part might need some tweaking (might have an option for the config file location).

Note: there are over 200 applications in that package -
I did not test them all, just a few and if they did not segfault, called it "good to go".
Old 06-22-2014, 06:02 PM   #3337
yuiop

Thank you guys, but I still didn't solve.

Quote:

I won't boot the device while plugged in, in future, but it is exactly what I've done.
I can't go back, at the moment: I see only the Usb Drive Mode or a white screen.
But there are news: from the white screen situation, I can access to Launchpad. For example, the (Shift V Q) kindlevncviewer shortcut is accepted, but says "Failure".

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Also -
Disable Network Manager !!!!
(^^^ piece of cr.. software ^^^)

See: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=237083
I tried, but I still can't access to the Kindle as external disk, I can't mount it and it isn't present in "sudo blkid" list.
Old 06-22-2014, 06:20 PM   #3338
knc1
Going Viral

This sounds very much like you are using a USB cable from another device - one that only has power leads and no data leads.
Old 06-22-2014, 06:32 PM   #3339
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@yuiop: that wasn't clear, and I didn't mention anything earlier, but: have you actually tried to hard-reboot it one one point?

(Unplugged, hold the power switch/slide for ~20-30s)
Old 06-23-2014, 08:48 AM   #3340
yuiop

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
This sounds very much like you are using a USB cable from another device - one that only has power leads and no data leads.
Nope, the cable is the original one and I was using it up to a minute before.

Quote:
@yuiop: that wasn't clear, and I didn't mention anything earlier, but: have you actually tried to hard-reboot it one one point?

(Unplugged, hold the power switch/slide for ~20-30s)
The problem started with a reboot, while plugged in, from Menu | Settings | Menu | Restart.
Not "Restart to Factory Defaults".
If I hold the power switch for n seconds, the Kindle just switches to the white screen: refreshes it if it's already in white screen, or loads it if it's in Usb Driven Mode.
(it stays in Usb Driven Mode even if I unplug it).

Is there a way to restart to factory defaults? Any hidden botton, something?
Old 06-23-2014, 11:17 AM   #3341
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@yuiop: Err, that's not right. What I described is the procedure for a hard-reboot (ie. like hitting the reset switch on a desktop computer). It really, really *should* trigger a reboot (it might take a while, though, but it really, really should, as long as it's unplugged from any and all power sources).

And to answer your second question (hard factory-reset): yep: hard-reboot it, and hold [HOME] during the very beginning of the boot process, then follow the on-screen instructions.
Old 06-23-2014, 05:34 PM   #3342
yuiop

Yay!! IT WORKS!
Ahah, thank you NiLuJe! I got wrong the hard-reboot procedure, now it returned to work.
I'm sorry I was such a newbie.
Thanks!
Old 06-24-2014, 06:15 AM   #3343
aasl
aasl began at the beginning.

Device: K3g
Hi. I installed jailbreak 0.12.N on my kindle DXG (B009 firmware 2.5.8). The update process failed and there is a "U007" on left bottom. I ignore the error and I successfully installed screensaver and fonts update. However, after rebooting, customized screensaver and fonts does not take effect. And there is no "linkjail" folder in root directory. How should I install jailbreak on my kindle DXG? How can I check if the jailbreak is successful???
aasl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 11:51 AM   #3344
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@aasl: Your device isn't in a sane state, you probably have the remnants of another JailBreak already installed.
Old 07-06-2014, 08:29 PM   #3345
qlob
Official Lurker
qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3.4
So I'm having a fun problem.

I'm on FW 3.4, with Source Sans Pro as my UI font. Right after I do a reboot, and I go to either the Settings or the Experimental page, the pages refuse to load. I have to hit the home button, and repeat that many (10-20 usually) times until the page actually loads and I can interact with it.

Is this just a problem with the GUI not liking my font?
qlob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fonts, fw3, hack, jailbreak 3.1, niluje's hacks, screensavers, usbnet