Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 11-12-2012, 02:54 PM   #61
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertc88 View Post
Not as fuzzy in landscape mode but still.

Some folks are giving up as much as an Ipad3 putting it up for sale when they tried and liked the mini. The main reason is the form factor. Not sure I would do that to tell the truth given the much better specs of the 3rd gen. Not sure what price their device is commanding, hopefully it was reasonable.
Everyone's eyes and needs are different of course, but I sure as heck wouldn't give up my iPad3 for a mini. I've tried various 7" tablets but about the only thing they are good for in my personal case is reading and checking email. That is why I waited until the mini was announced before deciding on the Fire HD for my reader tablet. The mini screen resolution is a big issue for me as far as reading goes. As far as apps go I much prefer the larger 9.7" screen for PDFs, magazines, office suites, and most other types of apps I use.
Old 11-12-2012, 03:51 PM   #62
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Quote:
I haven't come across anything mentioning differences regarding the displays. There is a disparity for sure with folk's feeling about the screen but no one even thought to bring up an inquiry if there was indeed disparity amongst units. You'd think someone somewhere I've read would have thought of this possibility.

Can you point me to some sources for differences?

At this point opening one up and exchanging it isn't easy. In my parts, there are none in stock anywhere close.
I can't find any, but someone at MacRumors did say that when they went into an Apple Store, they did see some differences between some units. If I had thought about it, I would have looked at them on Saturday since I was in the store, but I was more worried about my EarPods needing to be replaced.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2012, 05:22 PM   #63
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
I can't find any, but someone at MacRumors did say that when they went into an Apple Store, they did see some differences between some units. If I had thought about it, I would have looked at them on Saturday since I was in the store, but I was more worried about my EarPods needing to be replaced.
Is this doable on the Mini? Found this googling but it is iPhone related:

In order to increase font size of text in Safari on iPhone, carry out the following steps:

•From the Safari window, tap the “Reader” button in the address bar.
•Hit on the icon displaying as “aA” in the upper left corner, then select the large ‘A’ on right hand side.
You will be immediately thankful. Many blogs and new websites require you to click through a link of an article to get it load properly otherwise only the top most story will be shown. But the tip that we have just provided works on any website that has text articles including our website.

Hope you are enjoying the Mini, it's selling like hotcakes. I like hotcakes by the way!

Next time I'm at an Apple Store I'll try to compare screens. Best Buy only has one demo unit so a no go there.
robertc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:06 PM   #64
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Yes, the Reader button works great for reading website text in Safari on the iPad mini. I've started avoiding sites that don't have it.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:36 AM   #65
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
Yes, the Reader button works great for reading website text in Safari on the iPad mini. I've started avoiding sites that don't have it.
I looked around for the reader button on a website or two when I was at Best Buy yesterday but couldn't find it on the safari browser. To get me started, where would it be located and what website can I try with it. How bout this one?
robertc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-13-2012, 11:43 AM   #66
jswinden
Nameless Being

On the iPad3 it is located at the top of the screen near the url field. I'm sure it is the same for the mini. I've only noticed it a few times, but then I rarely web surf on a tablet.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:48 AM   #67
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Quote:
I looked around for the reader button on a website or two when I was at Best Buy yesterday but couldn't find it on the safari browser. To get me started, where would it be located and what website can I try with it. How bout this one?
MobileRead has it, but only on the last pages of posts. It's powered by RSS, and it has to be on a single article, or it'll take you to the latest on the feed. Not sure how that bit actually works out.

When it's on a page, there'll be a "Reader" text button within the address bar.

Any one of the major tech sites should have it. I just tried with The Verge.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote