Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-31-2011, 01:56 AM   #1
bobsi18
Enthusiast
bobsi18 began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone & Sony Pocket (& support for a Kobo Wifi)
Battery Life?

Hmmm quick question here - what's the battery life on the kobo like?

We received mum's kobo last Thursday - I fully charged it overnight and gave it to her Friday morning. She has played with it a few times (showing people how to open books etc), but that's about it. I told her that there was no need to power off, just put it aside, it doesn't use any power when pages aren't being turned. Was I wrong? It's now showing (almost a week later, of very little use) the screen saying 'Please Charge Your eReader'. It just doesn't seem right to me, given my Sony lasts a couple of weeks of reading 2 hours or so a day.
bobsi18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 04:42 AM   #2
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
If the WiFi is on, it will burn through the battery much more quickly. If you are not turning the reader off, you will have to manually turn the WiFi off after you have used it.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-31-2011, 08:27 AM   #3
ltr
Addict
ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.

Device: Kindle PW-2
My Kobo lasts 40 days using power off and 11 days using sleep, so power off definitely consumes less power. Turn off the wi-fi until you intend to use it.
ltr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 08:42 AM   #4
siraks
use the force
siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo K1
i use the power off as well and i'm still on my initial charge since purchase, mind you when i plug the kobo into the pc for the few minutes to load a couple books is the only time its had a bit of charge but for the most part i've been able to read nightly for a bit here and there and power off and have no battery problems. i have yet to set up wifi, not sure why i would set that up..its a neat feature but i'm around pc's all day so there really isn't a huge use of wifi on the kobo, for me.

edit: i checked my receipt and my purchase date was march 11th. So far things have been going well.

Last edited by siraks; 03-31-2011 at 08:43 AM. Reason: added info
siraks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 09:44 AM   #5
dmacmart
Fanatic
dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Glo, Arc, H2O, iPhone, iPad 2, (husband)Touch
I got my WiFi last Thursday; the first charge, which I allowed to go for over 6 hours, lasted only about 2-3 days, but I believe that the battery needs to be calibrated (I think that's the right word). After 4 days or so, the battery icon is now showing half full, though the meter is not necessarily linear however it's definitely lasting longer this time. I think I plugged it into the computer once or twice to sideload but only for a couple of minutes.

I'll make sure to fully discharge it again this next time. I know they say "no memory" but ...
dmacmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-31-2011, 11:53 AM   #6
jayupark
Enthusiast
jayupark is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.jayupark is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.jayupark is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.jayupark is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.jayupark is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.jayupark is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.jayupark is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.jayupark is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.jayupark is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.jayupark is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.jayupark is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.

Device: Kindle 3G, Kobo wifi
If it's anything like the Kindle, for the first few days after you get it, it's just indexing/processing the books (since the native books can be searched) so it sucks battery if it's sleeping.
My wife's Kobo seems to have decent battery life, but we've only had it for about a week.
jayupark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 05:59 PM   #7
bobsi18
Enthusiast
bobsi18 began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone & Sony Pocket (& support for a Kobo Wifi)
Thanks for all the replies Well I plugged it into to be charged last night, and it appears it wasn't really empty, because it was only plugged in for about 30 mins (while we transferred some books onto it) and after that it was showing battery almost full.

Just to clarify - in the first week of owning it, she hasn't added any books, read any books, used the wifi (although it's on) etc. We've been waiting for the cover to arrive. So it was turned on (after the initial charge), and then maybe 4 or 5 (pre loaded) books were opened, a couple of pages turned and that's it.

I've instructed her to power off at the end of the day after she's finished reading for the day, when she's next around I'll turn off the wifi too (not currently being used as we have 'hidden' networks, and it doesn't work on them?). We loaded a book onto it last night for her to read, so we'll see how long it last when she's actually using it.
bobsi18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 06:17 PM   #8
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Even if you're not using the Wifi, if it's turned on it will be using some power, so that probably drained it. The 1.9 firmware upgrade should allow you to use it with a hidden network.
Robert
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 12:39 PM   #9
cutterjohn42
Addict
cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm IIIx, EBM-911, REB-1100(dead), PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsi18 View Post
Hmmm quick question here - what's the battery life on the kobo like?

We received mum's kobo last Thursday - I fully charged it overnight and gave it to her Friday morning. She has played with it a few times (showing people how to open books etc), but that's about it. I told her that there was no need to power off, just put it aside, it doesn't use any power when pages aren't being turned. Was I wrong? It's now showing (almost a week later, of very little use) the screen saying 'Please Charge Your eReader'. It just doesn't seem right to me, given my Sony lasts a couple of weeks of reading 2 hours or so a day.
No where near as long as my Sony PRS-505 when it was new to about 2y old. Right now the 505 is lasting about as long as the Kobo-wifi (wifi mostly off, and power off because of bug mostly).

It's good enough for me, just have to remember to charge it more frequently when actively using it.

One thing that I've noted is that the battery meter doesn't seem to be as accurate once it goes below ~50%, as it seems to have less time below 50% than it did above it.
cutterjohn42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 01:14 PM   #10
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutterjohn42 View Post
One thing that I've noted is that the battery meter doesn't seem to be as accurate once it goes below ~50%, as it seems to have less time below 50% than it did above it.
That is my experience with more or less all battery meters on electronics. Especially the first 25% seems to last so much longer than the second or third.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 02:25 AM   #11
tecweston
Comic book artist
tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight, iPad, iPhone
Man, I've had my Kobo for four days now and have had to charge it twice. I know it probably wasn't fully charged out of the box, so I didn't mind charging it the day after I bought it, but that was on Saturday and it's drained now, three days later. Wifi has been off except to update the library and download books a handful of times.

I hope this isn't indicative of the battery life. I really don't want to have to charge the kobo every couple days.
tecweston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 07:45 AM   #12
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by tecweston View Post
Man, I've had my Kobo for four days now and have had to charge it twice. I know it probably wasn't fully charged out of the box, so I didn't mind charging it the day after I bought it, but that was on Saturday and it's drained now, three days later. Wifi has been off except to update the library and download books a handful of times.

I hope this isn't indicative of the battery life. I really don't want to have to charge the kobo every couple days.
(Not a Kobo owner) but my understanding is the Kobo indexes ebooks put on your reader, and if anything like the Kindle, depending on how many ebooks you have put on there, it could use some battery to index. I personally suggest just use it to read and not add ebooks to it and see if it comes right.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 08:43 AM   #13
ltr
Addict
ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.

Device: Kindle PW-2
As long as you leave the WiFi shut off and power off every time you're finished reading, then the battery should last at least a month. A couple WiFi uses shouldn't change that by much.
ltr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 05:23 PM   #14
digiSara
Groupie
digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.

Device: Kobo wifi
Is anyone else's battery draining faster since the 1.9 upgrade?

My normal routine is Power Off at night, Sleep during the day - I'm home in the daytime and like to be able to quickly pick up and read and put down again. Wifi turned off.

The past 2 times, the battery has actually drained while in Sleep mode (rather then during Reading). This morning I had checked the battery level and it was still about 3/4 full, after lunch I came back to it and it had Please Charge message.

I can't remember the exact time I charged it last, but it's only been a few days, rather then the week + I was getting before.

(I also had an SD card in it - I was just testing out how it worked - would that make a difference because of the indexing?) I've removed the SD card to see if that makes a difference.
digiSara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 08:53 AM   #15
siraks
use the force
siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo K1
i finally gave my kobo a full charge last night, until the light turned blue.
i didn't have a warning but the meter looked low so i did it anyway.
that was it's first full charge in a month (since march 11-almost a month), so i guess it really does last that long.
included in that was reading for 3+ hours on 2 train rides and reading nearly every night for at least 1 hour +.
siraks is offline   Reply With Quote