Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-26-2009, 09:48 AM   #1
schulzmc
Zealot
schulzmc doesn't litterschulzmc doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
I want my family back - not dead authors...

OK - love my Kindle 2. It is a huge step up for me from K1 - with one HUGE exception.

I want my family back! Using the well-documented (thanks mobileread!) hack to change the screensaver images I carefully formatted about 30 family pictures and used them as my screensaver. I loved seeing different photos of my wife, son, etc. staring back at me from the desktop when my Kindle was just sitting there.

I just looked up and Agatha Christie is staring at me. Is she smiling? Or plotting something sinister? Why can't she leave me alone!!!

And after the first time I got the idea that I "slide and release the power switch to wake" - why does it keep telling me that...

Someone - please figure out how I can see my wife instead of Charlotte Bronte (although she is kinda cute...)
schulzmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 09:49 AM   #2
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505

I can't help you, but your post made me laugh
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 10:10 AM   #3
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Maybe we should take up a collection to buy a K2 for igorsk and have him hack it for us.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 01:24 PM   #4
JBradHicks
JBradHicks began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
For what it's worth, I'm having the same problem on my Kindle 2: alt-shift-zero doesn't seem to do anything on the Kindle 2, at least not on mine. I sent Amazon a support request about it a day and a half ago, no answer yet.

I'm also having trouble getting images onto it, period. Copying them over, fine. Alt-Z to compile them into a "book" on the home page, fine. Open the book -- not so fine. Most of the time, it looks like nothing happens, the screen never redraws with the image. Although I have figured out that if I hit "f" for full-screen twice, the redraw works. But then I have to hit "f" twice for each page, to show it. I tried it with GIFs and JPGs, both of them exported from Irfanview, same result. I got an even worse result with BMPs exported from Irfanview, the Kindle insisted there were no recognizable image files in the directory.

Any advice? Amazon is taking forever to answer my questions.
JBradHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 01:33 PM   #5
stevenmoy
Zealot
stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

If you try to use Alt-F, or type 1 inside the image viewer, you have to restart the device for the Image Viewer to function again. To restart properly, go to Home, Settings, Menu, Restart the device.

Regarding Amazon is taking forever to answer your question, I understand customer service is at a bind as well because Image Viewer is not really not on the feature list. I understand K1 users are having a lot of fun with the previous Image Viewer but Amazon really never pushes the Image Viewer.

The supported images format inside image viewer is just jpg, png, or gif

BMP is not supported.
stevenmoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 01:39 PM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Can you replace the current images on the Kindle with your own images using the same names that are already on the Kindle?

Yes, I know this is a bit kludgey but it might work in the mean time.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 01:48 PM   #7
JBradHicks

Ah, my bad on the BMP, I memorized it wrong and was thinking BMP instead of PNG. OK. Resetting it now, but what about the screensaver issue? Patched out, no longer available, on the Kindle 2?
Old 02-26-2009, 02:03 PM   #8
stevenmoy
Zealot
stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

sorry, currently there are no user chosen screensavers. If you want that feature, really send those remarks to customer service or kindle2-feedback [at] amazon.com
stevenmoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 11:32 PM   #9
schulzmc
Zealot
schulzmc doesn't litterschulzmc doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Can you replace the current images on the Kindle with your own images using the same names that are already on the Kindle?

Yes, I know this is a bit kludgey but it might work in the mean time.

BOb
Interesting idea - where do you find the current images? They don't show up anywhere I can find...
schulzmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 11:34 PM   #10
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by schulzmc View Post
Interesting idea - where do you find the current images? They don't show up anywhere I can find...
Hmm... I don't have a Kindle2... so I can't tell you. But, do you have your Explorer set to show hidden and system files? I'm guessing they are in some hidden or system folder somewhere.

BOb
Old 02-27-2009, 12:00 AM   #11
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
The internal screensaver files seem to be hidden on a partition that's not mounted when you access via USB. Most of the system stuff is (although there is a system folder).
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 04:24 PM   #12
JBradHicks

I emailed Amazon customer support about this, and after a couple of days, they got around to misunderstanding my question and sent me the following unhelpful response:

"Thank you for writing Amazon.com Kindle support.

"Adding your own customer screen savers would be considered an alteration and would void your warranty. The Kindle limited warranty applies only to hardware components of the Device that are not subject to accident, misuse, neglect, fire or other external causes, unauthorized use, alterations or repair, or commercial use.

"I hope you found this information helpful. Our goal is to help you get the most out of your Kindle experience. If you need further assistance, please contact customer support at 1-866-321-8851.

"Thank you for choosing Kindle. Enjoy!"
Old 02-27-2009, 04:50 PM   #13
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
How disappointing. I wonder why they decided to take away this ability. I notice all the Kindle 2 skins on decalgirl.com don't have the custom wallpapers like they do in Kindle 1.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 04:54 PM   #14
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBradHicks View Post
I emailed Amazon customer support about this, and after a couple of days, they got around to misunderstanding my question and sent me the following unhelpful response:
I'm not sure what you asked them. But, there reponse does answer whether you can do it as a supported feature.

I don't think they published a way to do it on the K1 either... I think someone figured it out.

EVERYONE send an email to amazon that you want to you your own images as a screen saver. Seems like a no brainer feature.

BOb
Old 02-27-2009, 09:48 PM   #15
johnfmartin
johnfmartin began at the beginning.

Here is my email...

Just sent this email to Kindle support:

Hello, i've been using my Kindle 2 and would like to put my own screensavers on it. Before you respond saying this "would be considered an alteration and would void your warranty", please answer why this is not a possibility?

Whenever I show my Kindle 2 to a friend or colleague, first I have to explain why there's an ugly picture on the front - "hold on, I just have to wake it up, yeah it's bizarre these pictures just show up, yeah it's pretty ugly, just a couple more seconds and I can show you, ok here we are..." - it ruins the whole experience. I've stopped showing people my Kindle.

Plus it is a dis-satisfier whenever I pick up my Kindle, having to look at a picture I don't like and wait for it to disappear, rather than a picture I have selected and enjoy looking at that starts my Kindle experience off positively.

In reading online forums, this is a meaningful enjoyment issue for many Kindle users, and is something that is straightforward to fix in the software. Please forward this request to Jeff Bezos so he can prioritize it based on the user experience and the initial un-enjoyment this feature creates every time I pick up my Kindle 2.
johnfmartin is offline   Reply With Quote