Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 06-07-2015, 07:07 AM   #1
akJtown
akJtown began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
button link problem when converting to mobi

Hi Everyone.

I used the following code to add a link to a book page.

I added the page and the css page to to the epub file in calibre and it works fine. But when I use calibre to convert ebup file to mobi, the button and other design elements to not render. I am using calbre to view the books in each case. See attachments.

Can anyone help me with this?

<body class="calibre2">
<div class="box">
<p class="calibre3">Thank You for Downloading this Gefen Publishing House Ebook.</p>
<p class="calibre3">Sign up for our free weekly newsletter and get special offers on exciting new titles about Israel, Judaism and the Jewish People.</p>
<p class="button"><a class="a" href="">To sign up click here!</a>
</p>
</div>
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	calibreButtonProblemEpub.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	139074   Click image for larger version

Name:	calibreButtonProblemMobi.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	139075  
akJtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 09:38 AM   #2
goldilocks
Addict
goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
You have: <a class="a" href="">

You need to add the link in the "" after href. Also I don't know that you need "<a class="a".

Here is a sample from one of my eBooks: <a href="http://www.HarlequinMoreThanWords.com">www.HarlequinMoreT hanWords.com</a>

So yours should look something like this:
<a href="ADD THE LINK HERE">To sign up click here!</a>
goldilocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 11:24 AM   #3
akJtown

I know I need to add the link their. I just left it out in the example.

But the problem is that the the button doesn't render and neither do the other design elements. It would seem that the css file did not get linked to the page when I exported the book from epub to mobi.
Old 06-07-2015, 11:47 AM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by akJtown View Post
I know I need to add the link their. I just left it out in the example.

But the problem is that the the button doesn't render and neither do the other design elements. It would seem that the css file did not get linked to the page when I exported the book from epub to mobi.
If you're talking about the original mobi format, that's because it doesn't support CSS at all. You can use some simple css for creating mobis, but anything that can't be converted to html 3.2 attributes probably isn't going to work. Certainly no css supplied button graphics, or fancy borders are going to work.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 06-07-2015 at 12:24 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 02:24 PM   #5
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Remember that also the calibre viewer is an ePub viewer; mobi files are converted to ePub to view, so in effect you are going ePub -> mobi -> ePub.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 02:53 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Remember that also the calibre viewer is an ePub viewer; mobi files are converted to ePub to view, so in effect you are going ePub -> mobi -> ePub.
With the loss that Mobi conversion forces
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 05:16 AM   #7
akJtown

Thanks for your help everyone. So basically what I am hearing is that that if I want to add a page to a book using calibre, and then convert it to mobi, I should not use any css, just html. Is that right?

And would the same go for pdf? I seem to have a problem when converting my epubs to pdf as well.

Last edited by akJtown; 06-08-2015 at 05:47 AM.
Old 06-08-2015, 11:52 AM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks for your help everyone. So basically what I am hearing is that that if I want to add a page to a book using calibre, and then convert it to mobi, I should not use any css, just html. Is that right?

And would the same go for pdf? I seem to have a problem when converting my epubs to pdf as well.
Not Quite

Your CSS can (and should always) be any Valid EPUB2 CSS.

Just don't expect a DOWN (to HTML 3.2 rules) conversion to always work out pretty.

There is a reason that some publishers do (not just a simple: Convert) multiple versions of a book. They want it to render a certain way.

Rule 1 for conversions: KISS. Don't do anything that causes those conversion issues.

Rule 2 Be prepared to release seperate format versions if you must violate Rule 1

IMHO a PHD button is a nice to have, NOT A must. Code as a simple link and be done with it. Note: depending on your sales channels, even that might be allowed.
Old 06-09-2015, 02:14 PM   #9
akJtown

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
IMHO a PHD button is a nice to have, NOT A must. Code as a simple link and be done with it. Note: depending on your sales channels, even that might be allowed.
Are you saying that some sales channels will have a problem more of a problem with a button, or more of a problem with a link? Which channels?
Old 06-09-2015, 02:59 PM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Are you saying that some sales channels will have a problem more of a problem with a button, or more of a problem with a link? Which channels?
Links

Read your agreement to see if it applies
Bypassing your contracted terms is not a great idea