Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-02-2011, 05:43 AM   #1
rusky
rusky began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
[Old Thread] Calibre exits after checking for updates

Hi,

I've been using Calibre for a few months & Found it to be the best software for ebook management.

However, there's one feature that's really annoying!!

When I get the popup saying that there's a new version available, Calibre exits if I click either of the buttons.

Anyone else found this & know how to get around this - apart from turning off check for updates?

Thx
rusky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 09:28 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by rusky View Post
Moderator Notice
Please do not post in the development sub-forum without first reading the sticky post titled PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING - The purpose of this subforum. Thread moved.

Quote:
When I get the popup saying that there's a new version available, Calibre exits if I click either of the buttons.
I only recall calibre closing when I click OK since I am going to be downloading and installing calibre. When I said no or cancel (don't recall how the dialog is written) calibre continued operating and did not close.

I may be wrong, I'll try it again next upgrade. Maybe Kovid can confirm or deny the existence of calibre choosing to close when a person chooses not to upgrade.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-02-2011, 09:28 AM   #3
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
That certainly shouldn't happen. Which version(s) of Calibre did you experience this behaviour on? What OS are you running?
If you haven't already upgraded to 0.7.53, it would probably be a good thing to try to replicate this error while running in debug mode (hit Ctrl+Shift+R in Calibre) and attaching the log.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 09:42 AM   #4
rusky

Running 0.7.53 under Win 7 x32 but noticed this happening on previous versions as I only updated to 0.7.53 today.

Started in debug mode, pasted the location for when I need it & forget where it is!

calibre, version 0.7.53

Debug mode: <p>You have started calibre in debug mode. After you quit calibre, the debug log will be available in the file: c:\users\russell\appdata\local\temp\tmplawjnh.txt< p>The log will be displayed automatically.
Old 04-02-2011, 09:51 AM   #5
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

The debug log would only make sense if you'd experienced the error... as you've already updated, it's rather useless. Also, note the part where it's being displayed automatically- you don't need to remember any location, which will probably change anyway.
Advert
Old 04-02-2011, 10:33 AM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Hi,

I've been using Calibre for a few months & Found it to be the best software for ebook management.

Anyone else found this & know how to get around this - apart from turning off check for updates?

Thx
AKAIK, All the button does is call your default Browser with Calibre's download page. (and does NOT close Calibre, even then. on XP and Ubuntu)
Do you have a 'Default Browser' set in Windows? Do you have a 'Anti-Malware' program that may be killing a 'bad' process?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 10:39 AM   #7
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
AKAIK, All the button does is call your default Browser with Calibre's download page. (and does NOT close Calibre, even then. on XP and Ubuntu)
On my WinXP machine selecting upgrade opens the download page and closes calibre.
Old 04-02-2011, 10:39 AM   #8
rusky

Firefox is the default browser & there's nothing that would kill the process
Old 04-02-2011, 10:42 AM   #9
rusky

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
On my WinXP machine selecting upgrade opens the download page and closes calibre.
That suggests the popup window operates in the same way.

I can sort of see why, so the installer can run. But, if you weren't intending to run the installer immediately, not so good.
Old 04-02-2011, 10:51 AM   #10
Manichean
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
Hm. I've called up the download page manually today, but I can't remember the popup closing Calibre last time.
Old 04-02-2011, 10:54 AM   #11
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manichean View Post
Hm. I've called up the download page manually today, but I can't remember the popup closing Calibre last time.
I noticed it a couple of updates back (a very recent thing). I didn't think much about it but it definitely closed calibre upon selecting to upgrade. I just thought it was a new way of handling things.
Old 04-02-2011, 11:05 AM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
It's definitely not intentional and I tried reproducing it on my XP machine and could not. If one of you is running from source, could you change the calibre version temporarily in src/calibre/constants.py and run calibre in debug mode to see why it is closing?
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 11:12 AM   #13
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
It's definitely not intentional and I tried reproducing it on my XP machine and could not. If one of you is running from source, could you change the calibre version temporarily in src/calibre/constants.py and run calibre in debug mode to see why it is closing?
I'm not running from source, I'll be glad to run it in debug mode before the next upgrade.
Old 04-02-2011, 11:12 AM   #14
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Walt
Do you run with the tray Icon?
Since downloads (I use firefox) take time, why would Calibre close before the download was complete? And since the download DOES NOT start the update installer, whe would it do that even then.
BTW the Installer does complain if Calibre is still running (on Windows XP)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 11:21 AM   #15
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Walt Do you run with the tray Icon?
I do run with the tray icon but I do not start up to system tray.

Quote:
Since downloads (I use firefox) take time, why would Calibre close before the download was complete?
Obviously according to Kovid this is not a planned occurrence. I'm just trying to lend some credence to what rusky was experiencing. Truthfully I was not concerned that it was closing.

@ Kovid, I do have a machine at work that I will be upgrading tomorrow night. I truthfully don't know if it happens on both of my machines but if it does I'll post the results tomorrow night.