Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-23-2010, 03:45 AM   #1
kranu
I <3 my Kindle
kranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
Stamping Screensavers

Hi Guys!

I've been lurking around here using the hacks, so I decided I should try and contribute something, even if it is small. Basically, I have a bunch of Kindle formatted screensavers that I downloaded from the internet, but I wanted to make them look more authentic, so I decided to stamp each one with a "Slide and release the power switch to wake" message to each one.

However, doing this manually would be a tedious task, so I created an action in Photoshop to do so. To start, download the Kindle Stamp.zip file in the attachments section of this post. Once you extract it, you will find two files: stamp.png (self-explanatory file name) and Kindle Stamp.atn (A Photoshop Action File). Open Photoshop and open the Actions window if it is not already open (Window -> Actions). Then, in the top right corner of the Actions Window, click the menu icon to open a menu. Click the Load Actions option and navigate to the Kindle Stamp.atn file that you extracted.

Now that you've loaded the actions file, you need to load the stamp. First, open the stamp.png file in Photoshop. Then, select all (Ctrl+A) and copy it (Ctrl+C). Once you do that, you are ready to batch stamp your screensavers.

I'm using Photoshop CS5, so it might be different on your computer, but when you open the Batch Processor (File -> Automate -> Batch), select the action you should have just imported and the folder containing all of the screensavers. Then, choose a folder where you want to save the stamped screensavers, and if all goes well, you should have a nice set of authentic looking images.

I know, that is probably a lot of work for something so petty, but it's a nice thing to do if you have a little time. Let me know if you guys have any problems. If you don't have Photoshop, I wouldn't mind stamping some of your guys's screenshots if you upload them in a zip too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	change.gif
Views:	10741
Size:	377.6 KB
ID:	61679   Click image for larger version

Name:	batch.png
Views:	10228
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	61682   Click image for larger version

Name:	Industrial-Road.png
Views:	907
Size:	242.4 KB
ID:	61714  
Attached Files
File Type: zip Kindle Stamp.zip (8.6 KB, 1690 views)

Last edited by kranu; 11-23-2010 at 02:28 PM.
kranu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 04:33 AM   #2
veezh
plus ça change
veezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kindle PW2, Voyage
Thanks, kranu. Works like a charm!
veezh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 10:25 AM   #3
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
I probably should try this. Even though I've had my own screensavers for two weeks or more, I still occasionally forget that I need to SLIDE THE POWER BUTTON to get my password prompt or to do anything. And since I really need to tweak my photos and chose ones with more contrast, this might be the opportunity to add the STAMP.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 05:42 AM   #4
cc200
cc200 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle3
It really works, thanks for sharing.
Actually, the stamp file also works under XnView which looks easier to use.
cc200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 06:54 AM   #5
Paulinafrica
Zealot
Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kindle Android, Kindle 3 Wi-Fi
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc200 View Post
It really works, thanks for sharing.
Actually, the stamp file also works under XnView which looks easier to use.
Hello cc200, I have taken your advice and downloaded XnView to apply the stamp, is there a way that XnView can use the .atn command natively?

At the moment I am opening an image - Filter - PhotoMasque - select stamp.png - OK
It works fine, but somewhat tedious if there are a number of screensavers that you want to apply the stamp to.
Cheers
Paul

Last edited by Paulinafrica; 12-05-2010 at 07:28 AM.
Paulinafrica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 09:08 PM   #6
cc200
cc200 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle3
@Paulinafrica:

Goto Tools->Batch Processing, you will get what you want.

BTW, the feature "add watermark" is more straight forward than the photoMasque for this purpose.
cc200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 12:34 AM   #7
jeromedevine
Zealot
jeromedevine doesn't litterjeromedevine doesn't litterjeromedevine doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3 3G Graphite, Sony PRS-505
/deleted by author

Last edited by jeromedevine; 03-08-2011 at 10:01 AM.
jeromedevine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 12:52 AM   #8
kranu
I <3 my Kindle
kranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeromedevine View Post
Does not work anymore. Uploader update it.
Could you please explain how this does not work?
kranu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 01:05 AM   #9
jeromedevine
Zealot
jeromedevine doesn't litterjeromedevine doesn't litterjeromedevine doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3 3G Graphite, Sony PRS-505
/deleted by author

Last edited by jeromedevine; 03-08-2011 at 10:02 AM.
jeromedevine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 08:08 AM   #10
janvanmaar
Addict
janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3G, Samsung SIII
Thanks jeromedevine for bringing this thread on top - it would have missed it otherwise.

Thanks kranu for sharing your useful tricks!

A note for people on Linux - just copy kranu's stamp.png file to a directory with your screensavers and run the following command in that directory:
Code:
ls *.png *.jpg *.gif | xargs -Ifile convert -coalesce file stamp.png file
Your screensavers should be stamped now (backup the content of the directory before doing that just in case)
janvanmaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 09:16 AM   #11
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Code:
for file in *.{jpg,gif,png} ; do [[ "${file}" != "stamp.png" ]] && convert "${file}" stamp.png -flatten "${file}" ; done
xargs is eeeeviiiiill! ^^

Last edited by NiLuJe; 03-08-2011 at 10:05 AM. Reason: Exclude stamp.png
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 10:38 AM   #12
janvanmaar
Addict
janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3G, Samsung SIII
Quote:
xargs is eeeeviiiiill! ^^
...perhaps that's why I like it so much?
Anyway, your command is cleaner indeed (even excludes stamp.png itself).
janvanmaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 11:13 PM   #13
Tarr
Tarr began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi
Don't know why but having the authentic part on totally custom papers make it feel even better! Thanks for the stamp and more importantly the great idea!
Tarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 05:03 AM   #14
chal61
chal61 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle3 WiFi
@javanmaar: When I frst read Kranu's way to do it, I figured out there would be a smart and cheap way to do it in Linux. You anticipated me.
Thanks both for idea and the bash way, the power of bash and ImageMagick together is truly awesome.
chal61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 10:37 AM   #15
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
You can also "stamp" using irfanview. Create a SelectionBox. Add TEXT to it, now copy that box. Moving to the next picture, create a selectionbox and paste again, etc through your photos.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote