Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-19-2010, 05:30 PM   #1
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
Robert McCammon

Swan Song comes highly recommended in the PA genre. I've looked into several of his other works and find them equally interesting. Anyone else check him out?

"Speaks the Nightbird" and "Gone South" are the other ones that I am interested in.
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 06:37 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
I read "Swan Song" years ago, and it still sticks with me.....must have been a good 'un!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2010, 07:10 PM   #3
mellina 52
Enthusiast
mellina 52 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mellina 52 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mellina 52 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mellina 52 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mellina 52 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mellina 52 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mellina 52 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mellina 52 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mellina 52 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mellina 52 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mellina 52 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505. IPAD
I have quite a few of his books. Swan Song was great. I wish he wrote more. His latest two were page turners.
mellina 52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 08:04 PM   #4
mrsquash
Connoisseur
mrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enough

Device: K4-NT, Sony T1
I'm a big fan. My favorite is "Boy's Life"; I highly recommend it. I don't think it's available as an ebook, though.
mrsquash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 06:46 PM   #5
Mrgauth
Addict
Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: K3
Currently reading Swan Song right now and loooooove his writing style. Never read his work before. Boy, what a dummy. Will definitely check out more. Assuming I ever finish this behemoth.
Mrgauth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-21-2010, 02:07 AM   #6
carmonli
carmonli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carmonli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carmonli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carmonli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carmonli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carmonli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carmonli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carmonli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carmonli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carmonli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carmonli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Boy's Life was the first of his books that I read, and I consider it one of my all-time favorites. I've reread it at least half a dozen times.
carmonli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 01:06 PM   #7
GlennGThater
Connoisseur
GlennGThater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennGThater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennGThater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennGThater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennGThater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennGThater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennGThater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennGThater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennGThater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennGThater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennGThater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
i've ready many of his books. All of them are quite good. They Thirst still sticks with me after many years. Stinger is another good one.

regards,
glenn g. thater
author of harbinger of doom
GlennGThater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 08:02 PM   #8
xanadu2300
xanadu2300 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader Touch Edition
Swan Song is my favorite McCammon book. I've read most of them. I also like Boy's Life, They Thirst, Blue World and Gone South. I have always liked his style.
xanadu2300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 05:59 AM   #9
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I've read most of his books and thoroughly enjoyed almost all of them.

McCammon suffer(ed/s) from depression and stopped writing for about a decade.

His two recent and huge novels could not find a publisher years ago, which was unfortunate.

I'm hoping that he will know how much his writing is appreciated by his fans.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 06:11 AM   #10
recluse
Banned
recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
My personal favorites, in no particular order: Boy's Life, Mine, Mystery Walk and Usher's Passing. Bottom line, if you read one, you'll have to read them all. Enjoy!
recluse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 06:19 AM   #11
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by recluse View Post
My personal favorites, in no particular order: Boy's Life, Mine, Mystery Walk and Usher's Passing. Bottom line, if you read one, you'll have to read them all. Enjoy!
"Boy's Life" is reminiscent of the best of Ray Bradbury's writing, in that it captures the essential innocence of childhood and the mysteries surrounding various rites of passage.

It's an award-winning novel and beautifully written and felt.

"Usher's Passing" is 'Poe-esque.'

McCammon is an incredible writer, temporarily derailed by a big publishing conglomerate and corporate insensitivity.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 08:22 PM   #12
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
Wow. Lots of good responses. This one seems to be a winner compared to some of my other ideas lately. My brain appreciated this thread very much. My wallet did not

Just about every mentioned title is listed at B/N for sale in digital..but the covers are pretty and would look good on my shelf too.

Decisions, decisions.

Blah. Stupid B&N store. $12.96 for Swan Song there. $7.59 on Sony. . . But I want the pretty cover. But...at $7.59.

Last edited by jaxx6166; 02-24-2010 at 12:02 AM.
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 12:26 AM   #13
Scott Nicholson
Scott Nicholson, author
Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

well, you can't go wrong either way! Boy's Life is awesome.

Scott Nicholson
http://hauntedcomputerbooks.blogspot.com
Scott Nicholson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 10:20 AM   #14
kainne
Connoisseur
kainne can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskainne can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskainne can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskainne can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskainne can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskainne can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskainne can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskainne can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskainne can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskainne can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskainne can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: PRS-700
Have read Swan Song & The Wolf's Hour. Loved them both. Keep meaning to read more of his books.
kainne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 10:34 AM   #15
David.Niall.Wils
Author & Digital Publishe
David.Niall.Wils ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David.Niall.Wils ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David.Niall.Wils ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David.Niall.Wils ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David.Niall.Wils ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David.Niall.Wils ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David.Niall.Wils ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David.Niall.Wils ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David.Niall.Wils ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David.Niall.Wils ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David.Niall.Wils ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Usher's Passing was the first of his I read, and that is still a favorite as well..but my absolute top choice by McCammon is : Boy's Life
David.Niall.Wils is offline   Reply With Quote