Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-15-2013, 06:48 PM   #46
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Looks like I still hold the title of having had the oldest portable device (when it was new!) with the Newton OMP. :-) The release of the OMP was almost the same time as the fist web browser was released... "What's the big deal... its' just gopher with pictures!" -- how stupid that sounds in retrospect.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 10:03 AM   #47
Mivo
Fanatic
Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: In use: Pocketbook InkPad 3, Kobo Glo, iPad Air 2
I only started to really embrace e-books when I picked up an iPad a couple years back, so that was also my first non-PC e-book reader.

Very recently I bought a Kobo Glo as a dedicated e-book device because I wanted to cut down on the "oh, I need to check e-mail" and "I should finish this document I have on Google Drive" interruptions when reading books (making it less tempting to work, and to be less available, work-wise). Probably a little wasteful, and I suspect part of me just wanted a new toy, but oh well!

I also got a TrekStor e-reader that I didn't really need (even more so than the Glo) and my only excuse is that I wanted it. At €30 it was super inexpensive anyway.
Mivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2013, 11:13 AM   #48
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I feel so inadequate:

A single 3rd generation Kindle.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 11:56 AM   #49
delph
Tabby
delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Mini, Lenovo Yoga 2 10"
I had completely forgotten that I had a Sony Clié back in the day, until I saw it in this thread. I used to read on it while waiting, and I got asked about what I was doing quite frequently. (The really sad thing is that I know exactly where it is, but forgot about it until I saw the device name.)

dedicated ereaders:
Nook Color - gathering dust
Nook Simple Touch Glo - gave to a friend due to niggling annoyances about home screen and font and concern about cats messing up the apparently fragile light diffusion layer
Kobo Glo - primary reader
Kobo Mini - on the go reader

other devices:
Sony Clié - long since dead
Nexus 7 - only used for reading comics, not for novels or anything else. Great tablet, though.
Various phones on occasion. This is why I got a Mini to carry around, though.
delph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 06:17 PM   #50
IrishEyes
IrishEyes began at the beginning.

Device: nook simple touch, nook HD+
Wow I'm a baby at this! I bought a nook 1st edition and then two years later got the nook HD+ to read textbooks and medical research papers on (you can download many journal papers in the epub format now). But the battery on the nook 1E died a few months ago (it was still my primary ebook reader) and a new battery would cost around $20. A few days ago I saw a nook simple touch for $50 at Target. That was just $30 more than the battery so I bought the last one. It is so much easier on my eyes to read the epaper screen than the HD+ screen (beautiful though it is).

I feel bad that my trusty nook 1st edition is gathering dust but now that nook ST can be had for $50 it is obsolete. It is no longer worth the cost of the battery to make it workable.
IrishEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-01-2013, 07:02 PM   #51
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I just got a used Nook simple touch today and it is really nice! I am impressed! Text is much darker and sharper than my kobo mini.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 10:37 AM   #52
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
I've only used a few portable devices, though the time span is rather long:
  • HP LX320 (Win CE 1.0 and later v2.0)
  • Fujitsu B112 (Win98 sub-notebook w/ touch screen)
  • Sony Clie 415
  • Sony Clie UX50
  • Kindle 3 - still my current device

I used various PCs, including one notebook, to read ebooks for several year prior to getting the HP palmtop device, but their use was not primarily as a reading device.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 05:06 PM   #53
sneakyspider
Ereader Addicts Anonymous
sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (2)KO2, PW7thGen., KT2, iPadMini1
I recently got a second Kindle 1, which brings my total up to 10. I'm thinking about getting another eReader soon, (with the money I made from selling a Kindle 4 that I "fixed" - the battery had been drained and the seller listed it as broken,) possibly a Jetbook Lite, or a Cybook Opus. However, I'm leaning a bit towards getting the Opus.

Last edited by sneakyspider; 08-02-2013 at 05:09 PM.
sneakyspider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 08:47 AM   #54
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I am on my second EZReader Pocket Pro (AKA PEz).

I got the K4NT for my wife for most of the reasons that I did NOT want a Kindle: Very simple to use, Has the Amazon store and support locked in.

I like the K4 hardware, Non-Touch, Pearl display and all.
But for my next device I want non-Touch (for page turn, and it is optional, only when Menus become active), E-Ink, native EPUB and ADE (DRM) support are required. (PM suggestions welcome )
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 03:46 PM   #55
Mel-
Mel- can illuminate an eclipseMel- can illuminate an eclipseMel- can illuminate an eclipseMel- can illuminate an eclipseMel- can illuminate an eclipseMel- can illuminate an eclipseMel- can illuminate an eclipseMel- can illuminate an eclipseMel- can illuminate an eclipseMel- can illuminate an eclipseMel- can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kobo Glo
My first e-reader was an Archos 70B. I was looking for a device I could use for more than just reading books. After this one, I got the reader I have now: Kobo Glo. I love it! It's so much better than the Archos.
Mel- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 10:35 AM   #56
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3 & GlowLight 4
Once upon a time, I was a gadget fiend with an e-reading habit. Now that I've had kids, the gadget lust is on the back burner, I'm just desperate to find time to read. Devices I still own in italics.

PDAs and phones -
Palm Pilot IIIxe
Handspring Visor Neo Blue
Sony Clié PEG-T615C
Palm Tungsten E
Sony Clié TG55
Palm Tungsten X
palmOneTreo 300
palm Treo 600
iPhone
iPhone 3G
iPhone 5c
iPhone 6s+
iPhone XR
iPhone 13 Pro (read most using Libby, plus iBooks apps and Calibre via iCloud)

e-Ink
Sony PRS-700
Sony PRS-600
NOOK WiFi
Kindle 2
Kindle Keyboard
Sony PRS-300
CyBook Opus - traded in to Sony for my T1, wish I would have kept it., it was so light
Sony PRS-T1
Sony PRS-350
Sony PRS-T2

Kindle PW2
Kindle PW3
NOOK GlowLight 4
Kindle Oasis 3

Tablets
NOOK Color
iPad 1, 2 and 3
iPad Air 2
iPad Pro 11 2018 - Libby, PDFs, magazines, articles

Last edited by simplyparticular; 12-04-2022 at 08:08 PM.
simplyparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 02:44 PM   #57
sneakyspider
sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just bought a Nook Color to replace my Kindle Fire that broke months ago. I'm curious to see how it compares.
Old 08-08-2013, 04:07 PM   #58
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Kindle Keyboard (still use)
Apple Itouch 4 (still use)
Kindle 6" eink (2nd most used)
Kindle Paperwhite (gave to Mom)
Nook Simple Touch (Most used)
Nook HD+ (currently using)

I can tell you from my experiences of dropping devices on various surfaces that Nook is made stronger than Kindle. I don't like the HD (or other tablets) because they are too heavy to read from for long hours.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 12:03 PM   #59
magicmonster
Groupie
magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook Color, & Dell Axim X50v
Use my nook hd+ constantly to read costantly and listen to audible books.
magicmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 03:55 PM   #60
sneakyspider

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicmonster View Post
Use my nook hd+ constantly to read costantly and listen to audible books.
How do you use your Nook to listen to audible books, if I might ask? I tried to find a "Audible" app for the Nook, but I couldn't find one. I figured that it was because Audible was associated with Amazon.