Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-06-2013, 07:00 AM   #46
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
[root@kindle root]# xdpyinfo
Quote:
name of display: :0.0
version number: 11.0
vendor string: The X.Org Foundation
vendor release number: 10802000
X.Org version: 1.8.2
maximum request size: 16777212 bytes
motion buffer size: 256
bitmap unit, bit order, padding: 32, LSBFirst, 32
image byte order: LSBFirst
number of supported pixmap formats: 7
supported pixmap formats:
depth 1, bits_per_pixel 1, scanline_pad 32
depth 4, bits_per_pixel 8, scanline_pad 32
depth 8, bits_per_pixel 8, scanline_pad 32
depth 15, bits_per_pixel 16, scanline_pad 32
depth 16, bits_per_pixel 16, scanline_pad 32
depth 24, bits_per_pixel 32, scanline_pad 32
depth 32, bits_per_pixel 32, scanline_pad 32
keycode range: minimum 8, maximum 255
focus: window 0x1400004, revert to Parent
number of extensions: 16
BIG-REQUESTS
Composite
DAMAGE
Generic Event Extension
MIT-SHM
RANDR
RENDER
SHAPE
SYNC
XC-MISC
XFIXES
XInputExtension
XKEYBOARD
XTEST
XVideo
imx-ext
default screen number: 0
number of screens: 1

screen #0:
dimensions: 600x800 pixels (91x122 millimeters)
resolution: 167x167 dots per inch
depths (7): 8, 1, 4, 15, 16, 24, 32
root window id: 0x51
depth of root window: 8 planes
number of colormaps: minimum 1, maximum 1
default colormap: 0x20
default number of colormap cells: 256
preallocated pixels: black 0, white 255
options: backing-store YES, save-unders NO
largest cursor: 600x800
current input event mask: 0x7a003c
ButtonPressMask ButtonReleaseMask EnterWindowMask
LeaveWindowMask StructureNotifyMask SubstructureNotifyMask
SubstructureRedirectMask FocusChangeMask PropertyChangeMask
number of visuals: 7
default visual id: 0x26
Spoiler:
visual:
visual id: 0x21
class: PseudoColor
depth: 8 planes
available colormap entries: 256
red, green, blue masks: 0x0, 0x0, 0x0
significant bits in color specification: 8 bits
visual:
visual id: 0x22
class: GrayScale
visual:
visual id: 0x23
class: StaticColor
red, green, blue masks: 0x7, 0x38, 0xc0
visual:
visual id: 0x24
class: TrueColor
available colormap entries: 8 per subfield
visual:
visual id: 0x25
class: DirectColor
available colormap entries: 8 per subfield
visual:
visual id: 0x26
class: StaticGray
visual:
visual id: 0x4f
class: TrueColor
depth: 32 planes
available colormap entries: 256 per subfield
red, green, blue masks: 0xff0000, 0xff00, 0xff
Touch. Random info burst

No record extension.

Last edited by twobob; 02-06-2013 at 07:18 AM.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:56 AM   #47
h1ro
Enthusiast
h1ro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.h1ro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.h1ro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.h1ro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.h1ro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.h1ro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.h1ro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.h1ro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.h1ro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.h1ro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.h1ro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Glo HD
did anyone of you guys look into Xdamage and how awesome triggers screen refreshes?
h1ro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-04-2013, 01:18 PM   #48
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Only the work we did.

Attaching the underlying clients via Lua to the provisional Amazon "Manage the dirty screen area since Xdamage doesn't work in this context".

Haven't had a chance (or much time) to take that further yet.
Old 09-30-2013, 11:33 PM   #49
twobob

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyoxi View Post
That's a nice tip bhaak.

Since it seems that this is interesting to more people I will share again the few things I have learend recently (since my new post).

Chrome layer contains the searchbar on top and ads on bottom (for SO version).
Window title is contained in special window called titlebar.
Titlebar is normaly on chrome layer.
If PC:N titlebar behaves like a chrome (e.g. hides when chrome hides). (TODO: find
out when chrome hides and if it's of any use)

params:
Code:
L   str  layer
N   str  window type: "application", "dialog", "pillowAlert", ...
ID  str  name of the window or the parent window for dialogs
         "system" is reserved for system stuff
PC  str  "N" - set size to full screen
         "TS" - size to show chrome layer
         other or missing - normal window, size so that title bar is visible
         valid for L:A only
M   bool modal dialog window
         valid for L:D only
RC  bool round corners of the window
RKB bool requires KB -- positioned so as to expect showing keyboard
         valid for L:D only
bool value is expected to be: "true"/"false"
most important post of last year?

For me certainly.
Old 10-01-2013, 08:26 AM   #50
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Is it linked somewhere in the prefix index system?
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2013, 11:01 PM   #51
brianinmaine
Evangelist
brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Touch (5.3.7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
most important post of last year?

For me certainly.
It IS pretty awesome!
brianinmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 04:03 AM   #52
UnknownUser
UnknownUser understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.UnknownUser understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.UnknownUser understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.UnknownUser understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.UnknownUser understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.UnknownUser understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.UnknownUser understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.UnknownUser understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.UnknownUser understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.UnknownUser understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.UnknownUser understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.

Device: Kindle Touch
Happened to pass thourhg here again, so I'll chip in some knowledge on the awesome thing. cause, its awesome. (please note, I have a K-touch, not PW, and really havn't touched it in like, over a year due to.. stuff. So if things are slightly wrong, or incomplete, sorry :P)

It seems Amazon did the only thing they could do: Hack everything in themselves! They modified the awesome code to send the xdamage events in through the awesome event system. If you look at the RC files, which I've done quite a bit, theres an event handler for xdamage events that basicly uses some cryptic Amazon Lua binary library to do the actual screen refreshes. Its all very messy and complicated.

Having said that, and looking through all the changes they made to awesome, I thought it was all rather pointless. What I've done on the kindle is mostly in chroot environments, since I feel 90% of what amazon did was rather unnessesary. What I ended up doing was using a standard build of awesome, and wrote a compositor to do the screen refreshes. I did try to get what I wanted through modifying Amazon's rc files, and using their version of awesome, but it just got too much for me. For example, they decided to ditch all the focusing API's for awesome, and rewrote an entire window focus system to do more or less the same things. *sigh* I modified the compton compositor and added in Geekmasters great screen refresh code, and it worked like a charm. For me, I had a seperate X11 server, and window manager all running within the chroot, though I'm sure someone could have luck with cross compiling. If you wanted to keep the Kindle's window layout and window systems, I guess you'd have to keep some of the original rc files.

Well, hope this is of use to someone.
UnknownUser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 09:57 AM   #53
twobob

would LOVE to get my hands on what you did.

Like a lot.
Old 10-11-2013, 10:08 PM   #54
UnknownUser
UnknownUser understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.UnknownUser understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.UnknownUser understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.UnknownUser understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.UnknownUser understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.UnknownUser understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.UnknownUser understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.UnknownUser understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.UnknownUser understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.UnknownUser understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.UnknownUser understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.

I'll try to post the image I have on my kindle. I'll post whenever I get around to it.
Old 10-12-2013, 08:27 AM   #55
twobob

I would hug you for that
Old 10-29-2013, 02:12 PM   #56
UnknownUser

Here's a link to the image file I made, and the script for mounting the chroot environment. To get things running, I mount the image, kill the native X server, chroot into the image, and run X from there. I'm not sure if you'd be able to use the native X server, as I don't think it has the composite extensions, but Its been awhile. I'm not sure exactly why I had to run my own X server, but I know I managed to do some cool things like rotating the screen with xrandr! I just couldn't get the touch input to rotate as well...

After you load up the image, a few things: pressing the button will toggle an onscreen keyboard, and holding it longer will bring up a little application dock with wbar. There's a terminal application, and a web browser IIRC. you should find the modified compositor code, and other stuff somewhere in /root.. or /tmp/root.. or someplace.. and be sure to check out the awesome rc.lua for more info. Goodluck navigating my mess! May you find something of great interest!
Cheers!

to mount:
Code:
echo "[*] Mounting Debian Squeeze image . . ."
mount -o loop,noatime,nodiratime -t ext3 /mnt/base-us/debian-stable/debian.img /mnt/debian
echo "[*] Preparing Filesystem . . ."
mount --rbind /dev /mnt/debian/dev
mount --bind /proc /mnt/debian/proc
mount --bind /tmp /mnt/debian/tmp
mount --bind /var/lib/dbus /mnt/debian/var/lib/dbus
mount --bind /mnt/debian/root /mnt/debian/tmp/root
mount --bind / /mnt/debian/mnt/rootfs
mount --bind /mnt/base-us/music /mnt/debian/mnt/Music
to unmount:
Code:
echo "[*] Preparing Filesystem . . ."
umount /mnt/debian/mnt/Music
umount /mnt/debian/mnt/rootfs
umount /mnt/debian/tmp/root
umount /mnt/debian/var/lib/dbus
umount /mnt/debian/tmp
umount /mnt/debian/proc
umount -l /mnt/debian/dev
umount -l /mnt/debian
1gb image: https://www.dropbox.com/s/zppfd6rkm3...ian.img.tar.gz
Old 10-29-2013, 02:33 PM   #57
twobob

super star.

Gonna go peruse this right now!
Old 10-30-2013, 12:46 AM   #58
twobob

quick question... when you say "kill the native X server" are we talking about a killall -STOP Xorg or something else? I'm probably being dim... but obviously upstart does its best to get in the way...

could it be:

[root@kindle root]# stop x
Quote:
x stop/waiting
EDIT: nevermind... that was it

Last edited by twobob; 10-30-2013 at 12:52 AM.
Old 10-30-2013, 01:32 AM   #59
twobob

Okay. well you are clearly way more awesome than me. That said...
I see no reason why A) a specially compiled X targeting the FAT partition couldn't replace the X offered up in squeeze and B) why THIS kind of wangle couldn't be used to either convince the native awesome to switch to this mode of operation - or even just bundle another one...

Frankly, excellent work, with a bit of love this could be outstanding.

Hats off to you.

EDIT: I'm having a quick go at build the custom located xorg-server now... fingers crossed.

Last edited by twobob; 10-30-2013 at 02:55 AM.
Old 10-30-2013, 03:51 AM   #60
twobob

x:
Quote:
LDFLAGS="-Wl,-rpath,/mnt/us/extensions/xorg/usr/lib" ./configure --prefix=/mnt/us/extensions/xorg/usr --with-builderstring=twobobbed
xinit:
Quote:
LDFLAGS="-Wl,-rpath,/mnt/us/extensions/xorg/usr/lib" ./configure --prefix=/mnt/us/extensions/xorg/usr --with-xserver=/mnt/us/extensions/xorg/usr/bin/x --with-xmodmap=/mnt/us/extensions/xorg/usr/bin/xmodmap --with-release-version=twobob.kindle --with-xauth=/mnt/us/extensions/xorg/usr/bin/xauth --with-xinitdir=/mnt/us/extensions/xorg/etc/X11 --with-xinit=/mnt/us/extensions/xorg/usr/bin/xinit
xauth:
Quote:
LDFLAGS="-Wl,-rpath,/mnt/us/extensions/xorg/usr/lib" ./configure --prefix=/mnt/us/extensions/xorg/usr --enable-unix-transport --with-release-version=twobob.kindle --enable-local-transport
xkbcomp
Quote:
cd x11-xkb-utils-7.5+5/xkbcomp
LDFLAGS="-Wl,-rpath,/mnt/us/extensions/xorg/usr/lib" ./configure --prefix=/mnt/us/extensions/xorg/usr --with-release-version=twobob.kindle
lxterminal-0.1.8:
Quote:
LDFLAGS="-Wl,-rpath,/mnt/us/extensions/xorg/usr/lib" ./configure --prefix=/mnt/us/extensions/xorg/usr --disable-nls
vte-0.24.3
Quote:
LDFLAGS="-Wl,-rpath,/mnt/us/extensions/xorg/usr/lib" ./configure --prefix=/mnt/us/extensions/xorg/usr --disable-nls --with-gnu-ld --disable-gnome-pty-helper --disable-glade
awesome-3.4.6:
Quote:
cmake \
-DCMAKE_EXE_LINKER_FLAGS="-Wl,-rpath,/mnt/us/extensions/awesome/usr/lib" \
-DCMAKE_PREFIX_PATH=/mnt/us/extensions/awesome/usr \
-DSYSCONFDIR=/mnt/us/extensions/awesome/etc && make
florence-0.5.0 (BACKPORTS)

Quote:
LDFLAGS="-Wl,-rpath,/mnt/us/extensions/xorg/usr/lib" ./configure --prefix=/mnt/us/extensions/florence/usr --without-notification --without-panelapplet --disable-scrollkeeper --disable-schemas-install
nitrogen-1.5.1 (BUG FIX)
Quote:
LDFLAGS="-Wl,-rpath,/mnt/us/extensions/xorg/usr/lib" ./configure --prefix=/mnt/us/extensions/nitrogen/usr --disable-inotify --disable-xinerama
ffmpeg

Quote:
LDFLAGS="-Wl,-rpath,/mnt/us/extensions/ffmpeg/usr/lib -static-libstdc++" CXXFLAGS=" -Wa,-march=armv7a -mcpu=cortex-a8 -mfpu=neon -ffast-math -mfloat-abi=softfp -mvectorize-with-neon-quad" ./configure --prefix=/mnt/us/extensions/ffmpeg/usr --disable-mipsfpu --disable-mipsdspr2 --disable-mipsdspr1 --disable-mips32r2 --disable-sse42 --disable-sse4 --disable-ssse3 --disable-sse3 --disable-sse2 --disable-sse --disable-mmxext --disable-mmx --disable-amd3dnowext --disable-amd3dnow --enable-lto --disable-thumb --enable-hardcoded-tables --enable-sram --extra-version=kindle --disable-dxva2 --disable-vaapi --disable-os2threads --disable-w32threads --disable-txtpages --disable-podpages --disable-manpages --disable-htmlpages --disable-doc --enable-gray --enable-gpl --disable-parser=dvd_nav --disable-parser=dvdsub
mplayer
Quote:
./configure --prefix=/mnt/us/extensions/mplayer/usr --extra-cflags="-Wa,-march=armv7a -mcpu=cortex-a8 -mfpu=neon -ffast-math -mfloat-abi=softfp" --extra-ldflags="-Wl,-rpath,/mnt/us/extensions/mplayer/usr/lib" --enable-dynamic-plugins --enable-profile --enable-hardcoded-tables --disable-fastmemcpy --enable-neon --enable-armvfp --target=arm-linux --disable-ossaudio --disable-arts --disable-esd --disable-pulse --disable-jack --disable-openal --disable-sgiaudio --disable-sunaudio --disable-kai --disable-dart --disable-win32waveout --disable-coreaudio --disable-quartz --disable-corevideo --enable-x11 --disable-vidix --disable-vidix-pcidb --disable-matrixview --disable-cddb --disable-cdparanoia --disable-libdvdcss-internal --disable-dvdread-internal --disable-dvdread --disable-dvdnav --disable-bluray --disable-vcd --enable-xshape --enable-alsa --disable-gethostbyname2 --disable-inet6 --disable-apple-ir --disable-apple-remote --enable-png
--enable-static static build is horribly broken... rebuilding shared... EDIT: In fact the building of mplayer is pretty sketchy. I'll look for something else.

mplayer2-2.0-554-gf63dbad
Quote:
./configure --prefix=/mnt/us/extensions/mplayer2/usr --extra-ldflags="-Wl,-rpath,/mnt/us/extensions/mplayer2/usr/lib" --enable-profile --disable-fastmemcpy --enable-neon --enable-armvfp --enable-static --target=arm-linux --disable-ossaudio --disable-pulse --disable-jack --disable-openal --disable-sunaudio --disable-win32waveout --disable-coreaudio --disable-corevideo --enable-x11 --disable-cddb --disable-libdvdcss-internal --disable-dvdread-internal --disable-dvdread --disable-dvdnav --disable-bluray --disable-vcd

fluxbox-1.3.2
Quote:
CXXFLAGS=" -Wa,-march=armv7a -mcpu=cortex-a8 -mfpu=neon -ffast-math -mfloat-abi=softfp" LDFLAGS="-Wl,-rpath,/mnt/us/extensions/fluxbox/usr/lib -static-libstdc++" ./configure --prefix=/mnt/us/extensions/fluxbox/usr --with-x --disable-xinerama --enable-nls
Hope I got that right. Thought I should document my options.

Last edited by twobob; 11-02-2013 at 06:08 PM.

Tags
k5 tools