Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-16-2007, 06:38 PM   #1
zaneK
zaneK began at the beginning.

Device: prs 500
Got Mine Today! (update day 3: loving it!)

Hello all,

I decided to buy the sony reader, luckily my brother was in the US and picked one up for me, he got back this evening and i am now the owner of a lovely new reader!

so i have had it now for about 4 hrs, and so far i am over the moon. It is so well made etc, really solid build. The screen is everything i hoped for, completely different from a computer monitor or pda, and it is so wonderfull to read on.

Had no problems registering it, i am outside the US. Got the credit for 100 classics which is great. I was hoping to get some normal credits as there are a few books on the connect store i would love to buy, and that arent availiable in a compatiable format from fictionwise et al; so i could be hitting up one of the wonderful forum members to see if i can get a voucher credit which i understand works from the UK. Any volounteers? it would be much appreciated. (i have a paypal account)

Anyway back to the reader, i have one question. In the article linked in the Illustrated primer thread, the reviewer mentiones that you are able to download the whole contents of some newspapers (eg NYT) to the reader, losing formating but still retaining all the contents in what looks like a very readable form. However they didnt expand on it, so i was wondering if anyone knew how one goes about doing that i would be greatful.

so far i am totally enamoured with the thing, i am an avid reader and this seems perfect for me! i am as we say, well chuffed!

Last edited by zaneK; 09-18-2007 at 06:29 PM.
zaneK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 06:40 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
To download the NYTimes, use some of the tools available in the libprs500 package. See the reader content forum section and look at the stickies. It's there someplace.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2007, 06:41 PM   #3
zaneK

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
To download the NYTimes, use some of the tools available in the libprs500 package. See the reader content forum section and look at the stickies. It's there someplace.
thank you! i will get on that now!
Old 09-16-2007, 08:52 PM   #4
zaneK

I have been reading non stop since i got it, i am really impressed. I love it, currently i am reading The Kite Runner on the reader, its a wonderful book and is proving a great test of the reader.

am slowly figuring out the other applications like libprs500, i am totally rubbish at all things command line etc, but still im getting there.
Old 09-16-2007, 10:03 PM   #5
ddavtian
Addict
ddavtian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ddavtian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ddavtian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ddavtian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sage, Elipsa, Oasis, Galaxy Tab 8U, S22U
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaneK View Post
am slowly figuring out the other applications like libprs500, i am totally rubbish at all things command line etc, but still im getting there.
Try the libprs500-beta (check the thread on it). It has built-in profiles for NYTimes, Newsweek and BBC, hopefully more will come :-) No command line, all through GUI.
ddavtian is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2007, 10:28 PM   #6
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Many people buy LIT formatted books from Fictionwise or other places and then use CLIT to convert these to LRF through libprs500 (it even has a direct conversion lit2lrf) There are a few catches in that you need to install and register the free LIT Reader from MS and MS IE to download the DRM LIT book. Jon knows more about that than I do; but, it does allow you to buy current books and read them on the Sony Reader without going to the Connect Store.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 10:33 PM   #7
zaneK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddavtian View Post
Try the libprs500-beta (check the thread on it). It has built-in profiles for NYTimes, Newsweek and BBC, hopefully more will come :-) No command line, all through GUI.
this worked a treat, the whole NYT, including timesselect downloaded straight to my reader. Mondays edition came up, so im off to bed to read maureen dowds editorial.

I am extremely happy now!

thanks for the help guys
Old 09-18-2007, 06:00 PM   #8
zaneK

ok day 3 with the reader and i have just finished reading the Kite Runner...a great book, very harrowing.

The reader imho is the best gadget i have bought. I read all night for 3 days and found myself completly forgetting that i wasnt reading a paper book. Also the delay in page turning i find quite endearing, it doesnt disturb the reading experience at all and i think it ads a sense of physical page turning.

i am now starting on Christopher Hitchens new book "God is not Great"...he may not be, but my reader sure is!
Old 09-18-2007, 06:02 PM   #9
zaneK

p.s thank you to you all your recommendations helped alot, i think perhaps i should have waited for the new model, but i got bored of waiting for the Kindle and the new Cybook, and really the prs 500 does everything i want.
Old 09-18-2007, 07:56 PM   #10
cb.MonK
cb.MonK began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Just got mine yesterday, I'm so happy with it.
Saw this thread and figured I'd register and say hi
cb.MonK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 08:59 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I am waiting the Sony credit card to get another Reader. Should have it this week I hope.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:21 AM   #12
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
I got a shipping notification from SonyRewards yesterday, I should have my sony soon too.
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 10:05 AM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B. View Post
I got a shipping notification from SonyRewards yesterday, I should have my sony soon too.
Hope you enjoy it!
Old 09-19-2007, 10:08 AM   #14
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Hope you enjoy it!
Well, it's for a friend's birthday, so I hope she enjoys it.
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 12:28 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B. View Post
Well, it's for a friend's birthday, so I hope she enjoys it.
Do you have it yet or are you waiting for a backorder? I'm still waiting to place my order for one.