Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 06-27-2011, 10:26 AM   #16
MorganM
Fanatic
MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2o
Yes I can.

I just downloaded the fw again and put it on and tried again and all I got was the logo. Apparently it's still not compatible.
MorganM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 10:45 AM   #17
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Well, the SD card, the SD card reader in your Libre and your process for transferring
files seems to be working. I don't know why it would be hanging up like that, if the
FW files are valid.

You could go into the Diagnostic Menu and reset to factory defaults and reflash the NOR
Memory. I am not sure of the procedure for the Libre, but it should be the same at this
low a level. Here is my boilerplate post for these issues: (If this doesen't help, I would
return the device.)

Firmware Repair and/or Diagnostic Screen Access how to:

The thing is, you can fairly easily reset the JBL to factory settings and install the current
firmware on the device.

Make sure you have a fresh set of batteries in your JBL then:

You should remove any SD card from your JBL and connect the USB cable to backup your
JBL's internal memory, to a folder on your PC's hard drive. There should be a new drive
letter for your JBL's internal memory on your PC now. (If you had an SD card in the JBL,
there would also be a new drive letter for that.)

It is much better to have a USB 2.0 SD/Media Card reader/writer connected to your PC
and work with your SD cards using that, but if all you have is the JBL it is possible
to use it to make your update/repair SD card.

Reformatting the JBL's internal memory to FAT32 is a good idea and running ChkDsk on it
while you have the JBL connected to your PC with the USB cable is a good idea as well.
After the internal memory is cleaned up you would copy the contents you saved earlier
back onto your device.

If you can get passed the logo screen then you should be able to do this:

First if you only have one SD card then you will want to back it up to a folder on your
PC's hard drive.

Format an SD card for use during the update of the firmware. (I still use FAT16 for this
although I understand that FAT32 works as well.) The formatting will insure a clean card
and root directory into which the three update folders go.

Be sure to use a firmware update with all three folders to make the SD card. Insert the
SD card into the JBL.(They should be the folders not .zip files, unzip to your Hard Drive
first.)

Make sure the USB cable is not connected at this point.

Then you go to the Diagnostics Menu built into the JBL, it is here that you can do the
#13 - Reflash NOR and the #7 - restore factory defaults

To enter the diagnostics screen:
Reset the device. Then hold down three buttons.
They are: "on/off" "zoom" and "menu".
When you see the jetBook screen let go of "on.off".
Keep holding the "zoom" and "menu" keys until you see a 16 item screen.
It's tricky, so it may take a couple of tries.

Then you can reflash the NOR Memory and restore the JBL to factory defaults.

After that is done reset the JBL.

Now you can update the firmware as you normally would.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70171
(Use the link to the Ectaco/jetBook site for the latest download.)

Follow all directions and don't play with any settings you don't understand.

This procedure should fix any firmware related problem. If you have a valid download
of valid firmware and this doesn't fix the problem then it is a hardware issue.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-27-2011, 09:56 PM   #18
hedgehog1
hedgehog1 doesn't litterhedgehog1 doesn't litter

Device: jetBook, Libre Pro x 3
Hi MorganM,

I have a jetBook, and I liked it so much that I got Libres (better price) for my husband and kids. I have had to update the firmware on all 3 and it is a bit tricky.

First - when you unzip the firmware and copy it to the SD card, the ONLY folder that you should have on the card is the "firmware" folder. Inside that folder, you should ONLY have the AluratekBook-v0.20g.bin file. (you may also have the instructions PDF -- but NOT the zip file). The root folder MUST be the "firmware" folder. (I speak from experience, because if the "firmware" folder is inside another folder, it will not work.)

Second - when you are done copying the "firmware" folder to the SD card, you must "safely remove hardware" before disconnecting your Libre or removing your SD card. This is probably a Windows thing -- but I have found that the jetBook/Libre gets hung up if it is not properly removed first. I am not sure if Linux has a command like this, but with windows, it is a icon with a green arrow that appears in the lower right-hand portion of the task bar.

Third - this I discovered last night when I was doing something else -- it is difficult to remove an "incompatible file" when it is the result of damage due to not "safely removing the hardware." As Ken said, you should reformat the SD card to get back to a clean slate. So if you made this mistake, reformatting the SD card should come before the first step.

Fourth - BUTTON PRESSING - I found it nearly impossible to press both buttons simultaneously -- I tried about 5 times. I finally worked it out this way...
* Put your Libre on the desk/table.
* Press and hold the right arrow (and keep pressing it down - using finter from right hand)
* Then press and hold the power button with a finger from your other hand (left hand).
* Don't let go of either button until the trash can appears. (This is why you put the Libre on the desk -- it is difficult to hold the Libre and the buttons at the same time for the amount of time required for holding.)
* When the trashcan appears, you have succeeded. If the Aluratek logo appears, you probably weren't pressing both buttons.

I hope this gets you to the trash can -- if you can get this far, you should be able to complete the firmware update.

Please let me know if this works for you.
hedgehog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 12:09 AM   #19
BoxOfSnoo
BoxOfSnoo began at the beginning.

Device: Aluratek Libre Pro, iPad Air
Can I ask one question I don't think anyone else has... have you first extracted the file from the downloaded firmware package? You should download a .zip file, which needs to be extracted on your desktop. This folder (".20g") contains a folder called "firmware". You should put this folder on the root of the SD card and then proceed with the flashing process. It contains a .bin file and a PDF that describes how to do the flashing.

I didn't see any indication that this first step was being taken, hope it helps.
BoxOfSnoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 12:33 AM   #20
MorganM
Fanatic
MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have unzipped the folder. I have followed the directions on the PDF as well and done it a few times. Getting a bit annoying. I'm reformatting the SD card atm to FAT32 even though I did it last night.

What is *flashing*?

Last edited by MorganM; 06-28-2011 at 12:40 AM.
Advert
Old 06-28-2011, 12:51 AM   #21
MorganM
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedgehog1 View Post
Hi MorganM,

I have a jetBook, and I liked it so much that I got Libres (better price) for my husband and kids. I have had to update the firmware on all 3 and it is a bit tricky.

First - when you unzip the firmware and copy it to the SD card, the ONLY folder that you should have on the card is the "firmware" folder. Inside that folder, you should ONLY have the AluratekBook-v0.20g.bin file. (you may also have the instructions PDF -- but NOT the zip file). The root folder MUST be the "firmware" folder. (I speak from experience, because if the "firmware" folder is inside another folder, it will not work.)

Second - when you are done copying the "firmware" folder to the SD card, you must "safely remove hardware" before disconnecting your Libre or removing your SD card. This is probably a Windows thing -- but I have found that the jetBook/Libre gets hung up if it is not properly removed first. I am not sure if Linux has a command like this, but with windows, it is a icon with a green arrow that appears in the lower right-hand portion of the task bar.

Third - this I discovered last night when I was doing something else -- it is difficult to remove an "incompatible file" when it is the result of damage due to not "safely removing the hardware." As Ken said, you should reformat the SD card to get back to a clean slate. So if you made this mistake, reformatting the SD card should come before the first step.

Fourth - BUTTON PRESSING - I found it nearly impossible to press both buttons simultaneously -- I tried about 5 times. I finally worked it out this way...
* Put your Libre on the desk/table.
* Press and hold the right arrow (and keep pressing it down - using finter from right hand)
* Then press and hold the power button with a finger from your other hand (left hand).
* Don't let go of either button until the trash can appears. (This is why you put the Libre on the desk -- it is difficult to hold the Libre and the buttons at the same time for the amount of time required for holding.)
* When the trashcan appears, you have succeeded. If the Aluratek logo appears, you probably weren't pressing both buttons.

I hope this gets you to the trash can -- if you can get this far, you should be able to complete the firmware update.

Please let me know if this works for you.

Will give all that a go after I have reformatted again.
Old 06-28-2011, 07:38 AM   #22
MorganM
Fanatic

Quote:
Then you can reflash the NOR Memory and restore the JBL to factory defaults.
Ok I went to the Reflash NOR and it kept coming up with *Necessary files are missing, Press escape to quit*.
Old 06-28-2011, 07:58 AM   #23
MorganM
Fanatic

Well Ken I followed those instructions and STILL nothing happened. The logo just appeared and that's it.

I give up.
Old 06-28-2011, 10:03 AM   #24
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Since you did get to the Diagnostic Screen, to try and do the NOR reflash, you should
have been able to return to the factory defaults. The reflashing of the NOR memory is
not likely to be critical to solving your issues, so you can ignore that for now. It appears
that Aluratek doesn't even bother to provide the other two folders ( the "Data" and
"reflash_nor" folders), needed to do the job properly.

If you have returned the device to its factory settings and then tried to do the update
and that failed, there is little else I can advise to provide conditions that would help
with the update. Certainly give the procedures "hedgehog1" described a go and it may
take a number of tries to get it to work. It is possible that there is a simple thing that
you are doing that is preventing the process from working, as it does for the rest of us.
It is also possible that there is something odd about the particular unit that you have.
In anycase if you can't get it to flash properly, you should return it while it is still under
the initial return conditions of the place you purchased it from.

Luck;
Ken
Old 06-28-2011, 01:36 PM   #25
Gardenman
Wizard
Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350,Nook HD+, Kindle 2nd gen, kindle keyboard
Ken

I have a Libre. Do you think restoring factory defaults without flashing the NOR is ok? If I remember what has been said before, once factory defaults have been restored. you than load the current firmware. is this correct?
Gardenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 03:52 PM   #26
Ken Maltby
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardenman View Post
Ken

I have a Libre. Do you think restoring factory defaults without flashing the NOR is ok? If I remember what has been said before, once factory defaults have been restored. you than load the current firmware. is this correct?
It can depend on a number of things, especially with the Libre as they have
taken measures to prevent crossflashing. But while the NOR memory
reflash does involve the bootloader, the OP was able to start the device
normally, so that part wasn't a problem.

The NOR reflash and the Restore of the Factory Defaults are independent
functions, and the data that is dependent with the NOR reflash is not part
of the factory default data.

That said, restoring the factory defaults could possibly get you into an issue
of the order of certain update paths. It should not normally matter but some
anti-crossflashing checks may have been added to the update process for
the process of going from one version to another. If this were the case there
is an error message displayed that "version xx or above is required". What the
practical result is that you will need to do the update two times in a row. The
first attempt will set the conditions that are needed for the next update to
work.

In any case flashing the NOR or not should not make a difference, as I
understand it. (Remember I don't have a Libre, just a device in the same
model series, that shares most hardware and firmware development.)

With the factory defaults restored you should be able to load the current
firmware, yes.

Luck;
Ken
Old 06-28-2011, 06:09 PM   #27
MorganM
Fanatic

Well thanks for all your help anyway! Oh and yes I did return it to the factory default etc.
Old 06-28-2011, 07:04 PM   #28
MorganM
Fanatic

I wonder if I tried a different SD card that might make a diff?
Old 06-29-2011, 12:09 AM   #29
Ken Maltby
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorganM View Post
I wonder if I tried a different SD card that might make a diff?
Your card seems to be read by your device with no problem. You might
try formatting it to FAT16, just in case the simpler format will allow it to
work.

Luck;
Ken
Old 06-29-2011, 12:11 AM   #30
MorganM
Fanatic

I dunno about that now! I had a look on the Libre and the firmware file only has the PDF instructions and not the firmware update BUT when I look at the SD card on the computer the firmware folder has the firmware and the PDF instructions. I will go reformat the SD to FAT 16 now.

I just had a look and FAT 16 isn't even a option on there. Just FAT 32, FAT and EXFAT

Last edited by MorganM; 06-29-2011 at 12:17 AM.