Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 05-21-2011, 10:48 AM   #1
borisb
Addict
borisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it is

Device: enTourage eDGe, Pocket eDGe, Kobo Vox, Kobo Touch, Asus Eee Note
And so it ends

The enTourage forums are now gone, as is the enTourage store. www.entourageedge.com posts a simple notice that ebooks are no longer available. The Registration server is still up though, and there's instructions for using Google Books for ebooks and the Amazon App Store for getting apps (happy news for Americans only...).

However, the Knowledge Base tab is there, providing access to support options, so technical support and warranty support apparently are still up.

Indications are that very limited services will continue for the foreseeable future, which likely means at least 4-8 months.
borisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 10:59 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
When I saw the thread title I thought you were referring to the world .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-21-2011, 11:03 AM   #3
sordie
Enthusiast
sordie began at the beginning.

Device: IREX 800SG
Too Bad, but not a major surprise. First I watched IREX go down last year, and now the Edge. In that time there also seems to have been a move away from eInk type devices. It looks like IPad convinced everyone that LCD tablets are the way to go. At CES 2010 there was a ton of eInk devices announced. At CES 2011 it was all about tablets. In fact, I myself have moved to two tabets myself. I use the ASUS EP121 for MS onenote and PDF annotation - it is fantastic, and a viewsonic viewpad 7 for portable ereading, calendar, etc. Also, work issued a playbook, which is actually the best tablet for web surfing - I don't miss my desktop on it at all.

I do miss the edge's 2 page form factor though. I think a two display tablet aimed at the education/business market (with a stylus) still has a lot of potential, but unfortunately, I am not sure that there is much of a room for a start-up given how aggressively the new devices are priced.

RIP Entourage.
sordie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 11:18 AM   #4
kennyminot
Groupie
kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.

Device: HTC EVO View 4G, HTC Wildfire S, Asus T91MT
They didn't wait long after they dumped their stock on Woot! I'm just mad because I chose to post my instructions on how to get the Android Market on the Edge forum rather than xda . . . I wish they had given me some kind of warning . . .

I contacted Entourage to see if I can get an update.zip file with Ermine. Right now, I'm just worried that we'll be stuck with the Golden Update if our devices somehow get hosed (and, of course, this would limit our ability to fiddle around with it).

I've only had the thing for a couple weeks, but I like it. I do have to confess that the e-ink screen seems a bit like a "tablet starter kit." I'd much rather have two LCD screens.
kennyminot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 11:30 AM   #5
Mark Rehorst
was engr, now dentist
Mark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Kindle DXG
Uh, the forums are still there, but the store is gone. They are now referring people to amazon.com app store.
Mark Rehorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-21-2011, 11:49 AM   #6
Sjarrel
The Trying Dutchman
Sjarrel began at the beginning.

Device: enTourage eDGe
Very sad indeed. Will miss all the forummembers. You all have a good time. And borisb, special thanks to you. You were the first to help the members in a very easy to understand way, even when english is not the native language for the reader. Others were very helpfull too, of course. Many thanks to all!!!!
Sjarrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 11:59 AM   #7
SandBird
SandBird has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.SandBird has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.SandBird has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.SandBird has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.SandBird has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Entourage Pocket Edge
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyminot View Post
They didn't wait long after they dumped their stock on Woot! I'm just mad because I chose to post my instructions on how to get the Android Market on the Edge forum rather than xda . . . I wish they had given me some kind of warning . . .
Hi,
I've been a silent watcher to the Entourage forums and they were extremely helpful (and still are). I'm in a process of making an exact image of the forums and will post here as soon as it's done the mirrored link - hopefully some will use it and need it.
I don't mean to break any copyrighted or law related rules, I just think that it's fair enough to those of us who use the edge and still believe in its potential.

In the same token, I think it's best if other members will share other sources that are "must have" before we go and say something like what Kennyminot said - I've been there, and it's annoying and frustrating.

So if all goes well, I'll update this thread with the link.
In addition, I'll upload the update.zip files that I have, just in case and as usual, if someone can get the Ermine one, it'll be awesome - hosting on me!
Stay tuned.
SandBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 12:40 PM   #8
ab78727
Connoisseur
ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: reMarkable2 Sony-DPT-S1 iPad9g
eBay Deal of the Day has the PE selling for 159 from buy.com. I wanted to post this on the EE site but that's where I learnt that the store was closed . Oh well - good while it lasted.
ab78727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 01:12 PM   #9
geneven1
Enthusiast
geneven1 began at the beginning.

Device: P. Edge, Kindle, N800-810-900
My decision

I just bought mine about ten days ago. I have been unable to register on the forums, and this is probably why.

The information page where I clicked to purchase this on Amazon is gone. The user comments, always of interest to me and sometimes with essential information, are gone. I talked to an Amazon representative and he said that I could still return my device if I chose, and receive a refund. He said that the comments disappeared because the pages that were maintained by Entourage were closed, and that Amazon would see if it could make the comments available somehow, but he didn't seem very hopeful. My point is that the information is something people rely on from Amazon; Amazon should not let user comments be eradicated so easily.

And it seems to me that the forums are essentially shut down. I have a very cool tip about transferring information from the eink side to the tablet side, which I use to copy info into a mind-mapping program from the eink book I am reading, and I have been unable to post it because registration on the forums is essentially closed, it seemed to me after days of trying.

Let's assume that the forums are essentially gone now or soon will be -- where will the users go? Here? Or is there some other good gathering site I don't know about?
geneven1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 01:40 PM   #10
borisb
Addict
borisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it is

Device: enTourage eDGe, Pocket eDGe, Kobo Vox, Kobo Touch, Asus Eee Note
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Rehorst View Post
Uh, the forums are still there, but the store is gone. They are now referring people to amazon.com app store.
Right you are - the forums can be accessed directly at http://www.entourageedge.com/forums/forum.php.
borisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 01:47 PM   #11
geneven1
Enthusiast
geneven1 began at the beginning.

Device: P. Edge, Kindle, N800-810-900
Quote:
Originally Posted by borisb View Post
Right you are - the forums can be accessed directly at http://www.entourageedge.com/forums/forum.php.
Yes, but try to add a comment as a NEW user not previously registered on the forums. I haven't been able to do it in several days of trying, and I am a fairly stubborn user.
geneven1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 03:53 PM   #12
Gunnerp245
Gadget Freak
Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EE, Note 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by borisb View Post
@borisb

I think you should update the original post and add the forum link.

Last edited by Gunnerp245; 05-22-2011 at 09:58 AM.
Gunnerp245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 04:20 PM   #13
Michealj
Michealj began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Edge
What a surprise it was when I logged in to the Entourage site today. Guess we new it was going to happen but sad when it finally does. Thank you Mark and Boris for the information and link to the forums. There is a lot of very good information located in those threads. Makes me wish my skills for "searching" were better.

Regards,

Micheal
Michealj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 05:09 PM   #14
EdgeHacker
Banned
EdgeHacker began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Pocket eDGe Dualbook
Angry Lousy search engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michealj View Post
Makes me wish my skills for "searching" were better.
No, it's not you. Entourage's search engine has always stunk...can you say "useless"?
EdgeHacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 12:43 AM   #15
SandBird
SandBird has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.SandBird has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.SandBird has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.SandBird has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.SandBird has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Entourage Pocket Edge
Cool As promised

Hello eDGe users,

I just wanted to let you know that the mirror website is up.
Please note that the forums aren't active, they are there for browsing - meaning, no log-in, posting, search etc. functions are available.
I plan to add a search function but can't promise anything.

I hope this will be beneficial and useful to all (I know I still look at it from time to time).

In addition I added a mirror to the support and some files including the newly uploaded Ermine firmware. Just go ahead and check it out.

So no more moments
Oh, and the link is: http://www.ethanphoenix.com/entourageedge/

Enjoy!
SandBird is offline   Reply With Quote