Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 10-29-2010, 02:24 AM   #1
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Small problem with Newegg

I thought you would like to know of a small problem I am having with Newegg.

For those of you who do not have an elephant's memory, my first jetBook Lite froze the day after the 30-day warranty expired. Because it was out of Newegg's warranty, they said to ship it to Ectaco. I did, spending $9.00 in postage.

In my review of the JBL on Newegg's website, I listed the expenses incurred in addition to the sales price (such as the cost of rechargeable batteries), and mentioned the $9.00.

I received an email from Chris of Newegg saying that I should not have had to spend my own money to ship it to Ectaco, and that Newegg will give me a ten dollar credit on my next order with them.

I thought that that was a nice gesture on their part.

Today I purchased a USB port from Newegg for $4.99, and they are refusing to honor the credit.

First they said that they have no record of it, even though I applied for it by replying to Chris's email (as instructed) and thus enclosing a copy of it. Then they said that because my order was for less than $10.00, they won't apply the credit.

PS - Now after a lengthy series of emails, they have finally agreed to give me the $4.99 credit, or save the $10.00 for later at my option.

Last edited by GA Russell; 10-29-2010 at 02:29 AM.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 08:02 AM   #2
theusualuser
Enthusiast
theusualuser doesn't littertheusualuser doesn't litter

Device: none
Good to know. I'm wondering whether or not I should buy my JB (or JBL) online through Newegg or try on ebay. Ebay seems a ton cheaper, but I'm wondering if the JBL breaks down enough that it's worth it to have that warranty satisfaction from Newegg.
theusualuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2010, 10:01 AM   #3
dixieknits
Addict
dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook Color
Sounds like an acceptable resolution. I've had great dealings with Newegg. I have had to return 2 Jetbooks to Ectaco and have never asked for a credit for my shipping charges. I was just happy that the unit was being repaired or exchanged. They are wonderful to talk with about how the ereaders work.
I used the smallest USPS priority box with my jetbook wrapped in layers of bubble wrap and the postage was 4.95 with a tracking receipt.
dixieknits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 12:25 PM   #4
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

dixieknits, I'll remember to use that small box!

Yes, the resolution is what I had in mind in the first place. The original offer of the credit was unexpected, so I'm not losing any sleep over this. My point is just to say that they are reluctant to honor their word. Note: The people I dealt with last night were not the same fellow who made the initial offer of the credit.
Old 10-29-2010, 01:32 PM   #5
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Hmm... Ebay or Newegg?

Ebay could be anyone, as I understand it. I've run across posters (in other forums) who
have bragged about selling devices that they had tried to modify and botched the job, or
abused in other ways.

I would pay a little more for the greater likelihood of getting a good device from the start
as well as having a real established outfit to deal with if there is a problem later.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2010, 03:46 PM   #6
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
Hmm... Ebay or Newegg?

Ebay could be anyone, as I understand it. I've run across posters (in other forums) who
have bragged about selling devices that they had tried to modify and botched the job, or
abused in other ways.

I would pay a little more for the greater likelihood of getting a good device from the start
as well as having a real established outfit to deal with if there is a problem later.

Luck;
Ken

I agree. I had only positive experiense when I purchased electronics from NewEgg... I know that many people but on ebay but I prefer to stay with NewEgg, Amazon and Buy.com and see who offer the better price, free shipping etc .
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 04:15 PM   #7
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
I have to agree--though I've purchased tons of other categories of stuff on eBay over the years, I'd be worried about getting ripped off, with no real recourse, when buying electronics.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 06:08 PM   #8
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!

What's eBay got to do with it? This thread is about Newegg.
Old 10-29-2010, 07:31 PM   #9
MR. Pockets
Addict
MR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Touch, Aluratek Libre Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
I have to agree--though I've purchased tons of other categories of stuff on eBay over the years, I'd be worried about getting ripped off, with no real recourse, when buying electronics.
I recently bought a used Kindle 2i via Ebay that arrived in much worse condition than it was presented in the auction. However, Ebay refunded everything (except return shipping) after I sent it back. Their buyer protection seems to work really well (well, it took a while to get everything sorted out). But I would still probably buy from Newegg.
MR. Pockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 09:39 PM   #10
ngrant
Gadget Lover
ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, Mobiscribe Origin, Fire HD tablets
Hi GA Russell

I have been shopping at Newegg.com for years and have only ever had one problem when they shipped me the wrong item - same specs and price but different brand of hard drive. When I called Customer Service, they told me if I wanted to keep it rather than bothering to return it for the "correct" item, they would credit me $10. In my case, they applied a $10 partial refund to the credit card I used for the transaction and it showed up on my statement a few days later. This was a phone conversation not e-mail - therefore nothing in writing, so I was pleased that the CS agent was true to his word about the credit.

I must say that I am totally satisfied with Newegg and have spent thousands of dollars there. Glad to see in your update that you got a positive outcome.
ngrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 12:03 AM   #11
Iread
Iread began at the beginning.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro, Ectaco JetBook Lite
My two recent-college-graduate sons are the "tech-ies" in this house, and have purchased quite a few things from NewEgg (it is usually the first place they look when shopping for something), and my husband and I have bought a few things from there as well. They/we have consistently had good experiences with NewEgg. Not that someone couldn't have a bad experience, or that we won't have a bad experience in the future but, so far, our experiences have been positive.
Iread is offline   Reply With Quote