Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-08-2010, 12:05 PM   #1
ekaser
Opinion Artiste
ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Device: Nexus 5, Nexus 7, Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire
Unhappy ending for e-readers?

An article on CNet is titled CES: E-readers' next chapter might not have happy ending

In part, they say:
Quote:
There were e-readers aplenty at the Consumer Electronics Show, but there's substantial doubt if there are enough interested buyers to go around.

"Just being able to read a book on a device has become totally commoditized," said Gartner analyst Allen Weiner.

Indeed, the special e-book zone on the CES show floor was packed with book readers that looked like Kindle cousins, many sporting a nearly identical-looking electronic ink displays and little else of note.
I agree, there will (as always) be a "bubble" and a "falling out" as the market develops. I personally think, long term, there will be a blending of the e-book reader and slate-computer markets, but that's been pretty well argued to death in another thread.

One particularly interesting quote from the article:
Quote:
Although most of the attention at CES was on new hardware, executives of Hearst-backed Skiff say their main goal is to build a good periodical platform and shopping experience that could someday power lots of devices, perhaps none of which the company would make itself.

"We want to lead by example with some cool devices and then get the hell out as fast as possible," said Skiff Chief Marketing Officer Kiliaen Van Rensselaer.
And, of course, a quote sure to stir up the "e-Ink forever" die-hards:

Quote:
Kurzweil, a pioneer in the digital reading arena in addition to being a computer industry luminary, says he just doesn't see that big a market for single purpose readers.

"People want to do everything--they want to watch their movies, they want to do all their computing, their e-mail on one platform," he said in an interview. "They don't want to take another device."
ekaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 12:16 PM   #2
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
And the market is proving Kurweil is correct when he says "People want to do everything--they want to watch their movies, they want to do all their computing, their e-mail on one platform," he said in an interview. "They don't want to take another device."

Devices that just to read books on are not that popular. Keyboards, mp3 support, wireless... that is what the market is hot for. Consider Kindle, Nook, Sony PRS-900 etc..... and the trend will continue.

Like I said in another post, in another 5 years is will be nearly impossible to buy a dedicated reading device. And the truth is there are very few such devices now.
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 12:43 PM   #3
ekaser
Opinion Artiste
ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Device: Nexus 5, Nexus 7, Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire
MSNBC article

Another interesting article about slate/tablet devices on MSNBC:
Buy two tablets and call me in the morning

Quote:
There are going to be dozens of them from which to choose, and those on display at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas represent just the start of the slate onslaught.
Quote:
Generally, e-readers are stand-alone devices, like Amazon's Kindle, which happens to be in tablet form (most e-readers are). Tablets are viewed as Web- and entertainment-oriented — movies and TV — but can also be used to read, and generally have a touchscreen keyboard.
Quote:
HTC and Google are reportedly jointly working on a tablet.
Quote:
Enderle said he thinks "these new devices will eventually define the new decade. But it took most of the 1990s for laptops to reach their potential, and it will likely take a number of years for tablets to become the power they could be."
ekaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 12:50 PM   #4
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekaser View Post
Another interesting article about slate/tablet devices on MSNBC:
Buy two tablets and call me in the morning
Typical MSNBC fact checking.

HTC has had a tablet (The HTC Shift) for 2 years.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 12:56 PM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Frankly, I don't think eInk is as much about the display (OLED screens can do very good black on white) but the fact that an eInk device can be used for days if not weeks on a single charge.

The convergence device currently has a major power problem. Look at the iPhone... its a phone, a PDA, a video viewer, and ebook reader. But, if you used it for most of the day other than keeping it in your pocket the battery dies before that day does.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 01:08 PM   #6
LegoErgoSum
Enthusiast
LegoErgoSum began at the beginning.

Device: PB360
I think that for other devices it may be right that it is an advantage if they have a lot of different functions, but I like a reading device which is slim and has only a reading function. the developers can concentrate on the fundamental functions and can make them as perfect as they can and doesn't have to play around with useless gimmicks.

In my opinion such e-ink readers with a lcd screen on the bottom are really ugly and everything else than handy.
LegoErgoSum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 01:19 PM   #7
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
"We want to lead by example with some cool devices and then get the hell out as fast as possible," said Skiff Chief Marketing Officer Kiliaen Van Rensselaer.
That seems like an odd statement from a company that is presenting their new eBook reader. They're basically saying "Buy our new cool device. Oh, by the way, we're going to bail out of this market ASAP". Makes you wonder what kind of support you're going to get from them down the road.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 01:25 PM   #8
yagiz
http://is.gd/4flJX
yagiz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yagiz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yagiz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yagiz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yagiz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPhone 3G
If they cannot make longer lasting batteries, I don't think that an all-in-one device can be considered a book reading device. It may be OK for the toilet break, though!

And iPhone is a good indicator, just like Bob put it above. The battery of mine goes flat after an hour of twitter, browsing etc. Being connected, GPS, etc. are very costly...

Last edited by yagiz; 01-08-2010 at 02:54 PM. Reason: typo
yagiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 01:27 PM   #9
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
Nonsense. That's like saying paper books should have died years ago, because people can do everything in a computer.

If people are buying books, then I can't see why won't they buy a dedicated device. It will help to centralize your books and save space.
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 01:27 PM   #10
Mitch G
Connoisseur
Mitch G will become famous soon enoughMitch G will become famous soon enoughMitch G will become famous soon enoughMitch G will become famous soon enoughMitch G will become famous soon enoughMitch G will become famous soon enoughMitch G will become famous soon enough

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
That seems like an odd statement from a company that is presenting their new eBook reader. They're basically saying "Buy our new cool device. Oh, by the way, we're going to bail out of this market ASAP". Makes you wonder what kind of support you're going to get from them down the road.
I disagree. I see this as being somewhat analogous to the Netflix/Roku model.
Roku was the first to release Netflix watchnow device, but Netflix is pushing their platform to anybody who is willing to integrate it.
I see Skiff doing the same sort of thing except they are both focused on the device (ala Roku) and content (ala Netflix).

Mitch
Mitch G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 02:34 PM   #11
Teddman
Addict
Teddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505
I never pay these types of "e-readers are doomed" articles any mind. If you're reasonably tech savvy (and everyone on this forum probably is), you know how to convert any e-book format to just about any e-book format. And I'm sure that e-ink will continue to be used for years to come, and that we'll be able to find older e-ink devices for sale online in the unlikely event that they're discontinued.

I'll always have a Sony 505 or something similar to read my books on, and I'll always find a way to convert them.

So I'm not worried.
Teddman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 03:29 PM   #12
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bremen Cole View Post
And the market is proving Kurweil is correct when he says "People want to do everything--they want to watch their movies, they want to do all their computing, their e-mail on one platform," he said in an interview. "They don't want to take another device."
Devices that just to read books on are not that popular. Keyboards, mp3 support, wireless... that is what the market is hot for. Consider Kindle, Nook, Sony PRS-900 etc..... and the trend will continue.
Like I said in another post, in another 5 years is will be nearly impossible to buy a dedicated reading device. And the truth is there are very few such devices now.
I agree with most of your comments except for one key area I don't believe dedicated readers will cease to exist they will just be a lot cheaper. You still find dedicated mp3, pda, etc.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 03:36 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Frankly, I don't think eInk is as much about the display (OLED screens can do very good black on white) but the fact that an eInk device can be used for days if not weeks on a single charge.

The convergence device currently has a major power problem. Look at the iPhone... its a phone, a PDA, a video viewer, and ebook reader. But, if you used it for most of the day other than keeping it in your pocket the battery dies before that day does.

BOb
I've been saying that all along. Use your multifunction phone for all but calls and when you need to make a call, good luck as the battery is dead.

Go on, play your games, listen to your music, surf the web, drain the battery.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 04:03 PM   #14
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
One other point about do it all device, they do to do everything not as well than dedicated device.

And well, reading these forum on my pc screen hurts my eyes enough. I'll sooner go back to p-book, than read on an lcd.
We'll see e-readers doing other stuff when e-ink have evolved enough so refresh rate and colors allows for it.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 04:41 PM   #15
calvin-c
Guru
calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moon+ Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by yagiz View Post
If they cannot make longer lasting batteries, I don't think that an all-in-one device can be considered a book reading device. It may be OK for the toilet break, though!

And iPhone is a good indicator, just like Bob put it above. The battery of mine goes flat after an hour of twitter, browsing etc. Being connected, GPS, etc. are very costly...
Yet the battery of my Palm Treo lasts for about 4 hours of reading. Of course I don't have anything but cell phone running while I'm reading, and rarely use that since I've been sensible about giving out my cell number. (I.e. I don't give it to people who use it so they can 'connect' with me at their convenience. I have the cell for my convenience, not theirs. Call me on it if it's an emergency. If you do otherwise then I won't give you my new cell #.)
calvin-c is offline   Reply With Quote