Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-23-2013, 01:26 PM   #166
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Abe View Post
Otherwise a monkey with a typewriter would be the norm.
It is. As it just hits random characters, at some point, a copy of each of the classics has to roll out of that typewriter. That's inevitable.

Just have to find an immortal monkey and a very robust typewriter, that's all...
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 01:26 PM   #167
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

I have never run into anyone expressing any sort of snobbery towards the books I read. Usually it is more surprise expressed by those who know how many books I read that I have not read any of the latest best sellers or much talked about titles. Now television is another matter. It has been years since I have watched television, and so run into instances like having nothing to say about the apparently shocking ending to Downtown Abbey because I have never even viewed a moment of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
I read AND watch Survivor. Often at the same time.
I must admire your ability to manage that. When I read I soon cannot even hear music that I might have been playing. I've been told that once I really get into reading mode a bomb could go off and I would not notice that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
And how many books with those types of covers have you read?

Covers like this are soooo much better than man titty covers
Yes, pot calling the kettle black. I recently read an online article about that. Romance covers featuring shirtless young hunks of men versus Science Fiction covers featuring nubile young women in skimpy clothing. The comments were interesting in how those pro and con comments broke down in the sex of the people making the comments.
Old 02-23-2013, 01:28 PM   #168
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I don't know about monkeys on typewriters, but I know for a fact that I've read some stories written by monkeys on computers.....but I'm not going to name any names.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 01:32 PM   #169
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Sleaze is not genre-specific.

I'd have liked to be alive when paperback publishers were able to sell Faulkner and Aldous Huxley by littering the covers with decolletages and phrases like Shocking! . . . Bold!

If every publisher still did things like that, we wouldn't be having these discussions about the supposedly exclusive strata of literature and genre fiction. A professor's reading list is not necessarily more dry or devoid of grunting than anyone else's.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 01:54 PM   #170
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

One other thing:

It's valuable to make a distinction between assessing books and judging the people who read them. If someone wishes to assert that The Ape-Gland-Enhanced Tusk-Hunting Cyclopes of Glagnia 12* is better than the complete works of Wallace Stevens, I might take issue with that evaluation. What I would not question is the validity or "level" (I hate that word) of the person who offered it.

§*§*§*§*§*§*§

* Readers of all kinds of '50s-'70s writers will be familiar with the ironic use of pulp titles and conventions -- a practice which has engendered entire modes of genre and meta-genre fiction. Without writers like Angela Carter and Philip K. Dick, '90s shows like BtVS and films like Ginger Snaps would not exist.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 02-23-2013 at 02:05 PM.
Old 02-23-2013, 02:02 PM   #171
voracious71
Addict
voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Kindle PW4, Kobo Clara
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
The sparkle. Glitter is such a pain, you know?

Seriously, I love vampire fiction but I just couldn't get into Twilight. I actually tried reading it before the hype started but I just couldn't get into it. I'd always fall asleep or get distracted. Nothing against Twilight readers (unless you happen to be the screaming fangirl who blasted my eardrums).
I would like to think that I am completely free of snobbery myself, but I'm not. I despise Twilight, 50 Shades, and books of that ilk. I wouldn't tell someone not to read them, or make fun of them out loud for reading them. I admit, I do form a not flattering mental picture of the reader in my head.

Teen girls who like Twilight don't bother me so much, it's the grown women who squeal over it that worry me.:
voracious71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 02:12 PM   #172
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
Quote:
Originally Posted by voracious71 View Post
I would like to think that I am completely free of snobbery myself, but I'm not. I despise Twilight, 50 Shades, and books of that ilk. I wouldn't tell someone not to read them, or make fun of them out loud for reading them. I admit, I do form a not flattering mental picture of the reader in my head.

Teen girls who like Twilight don't bother me so much, it's the grown women who squeal over it that worry me.:
And any grown man who squealed in delight over Twilight or The Hunger Games would be looked at like a weirdo lol. Grown women drooling over Edward or Jacob=normal. A 35 year old me drooling over Jennifer Lawrence in The Hunger Games or Kristin Stewart= call the authorities.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 02:19 PM   #173
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by voracious71 View Post

I can keep my snobbery aimed at the book rather than the reader. Sometimes I even envy their ability to get past bad writing enough to enjoy the story, as that's often more than I can manage.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 03:13 PM   #174
travger
Evangelist
travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: palm tx, Windows7, Galaxy A5
Sparkly vampires are easy on the eye! Will take them over ordinary kind any day. I believe I'd look much more favorably on zombies too if they'd sport some occasional sparkle... or at least some glow-in-the-dark.

Actually, I have quite a lot against people who declare "I don't read romance! (crime, fantasy, etc.)" and when you ask which one they didn't like, they tell you proudly that they have never touched the genre.
If I meet that person often, I'll keep pestering until they read at least half of the (carefully chosen by discussing preferences) book and can tell me why it was boring. Then we can try try another author...

I'm rather bored by crime and detective mysteries (tv fills that need better), nowadays only crime author I will give my time to is Dick Francis.

Last edited by travger; 02-23-2013 at 03:16 PM.
travger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 03:13 PM   #175
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
The sparkle. Glitter is such a pain, you know?
Glitter just gets all over the place and you never can get rid of it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 03:15 PM   #176
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Great writing doesn't always make great reading.
I very much agree with this. Hence why a lot of the eBooks nominated for Classics in the MR Book Club are just so very dull.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 03:17 PM   #177
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I don't know about monkeys on typewriters, but I know for a fact that I've read some stories written by monkeys on computers.....but I'm not going to name any names.

Don
ME! ME! ME!!!!
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 03:21 PM   #178
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by xg4bx View Post
And any grown man who squealed in delight over Twilight or The Hunger Games would be looked at like a weirdo lol. Grown women drooling over Edward or Jacob=normal. A 35 year old me drooling over Jennifer Lawrence in The Hunger Games or Kristin Stewart= call the authorities.
I've never squealed with delight over a book. I can't recall the last time I've squealed with delight over anything. A friend of mine who is about 40 tried to tell me I just had to read Twilight. I just nodded and smiled. If he's a fan of Twilight, I'm not going to try to deprogram him.

I thought Hunger Games was OK, but I wouldn't gush over it. But as far as drooling goes, Hollywood's business model would be severely impacted if it weren't for men drooling over women half their age.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 03:56 PM   #179
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumIguana View Post
I've never squealed with delight over a book. I can't recall the last time I've squealed with delight over anything.
I squeal with delight over books all the time but I am a girl.

Just two days ago my Library pre-order the next Cat DeLuca Mystery and I am in first in line to get it. *squeals* That saves me $10. Saving money makes me happy.

My two favorite cozies are Stephanie Plum and Cat DeLuca series.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 04:06 PM   #180
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue

I enjoy giving my girlfriend things that make her squeal partly because I've been conditioned not to make that sound myself. I probably don't know how.

She, on the nether hind, has been taught to believe that squealing is entirely appropriate.

Gender anthropology is largely arbitrary, yet social adaptation sometimes depends on it. We ought to get that fixed.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 02-23-2013 at 09:37 PM.