Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-09-2010, 04:04 PM   #16
Lbooker
Addict
Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papi View Post
I don't like it neither that they don't clearly communicate on the screen. Though I didn't thought he answered angrily, nor pathetically, he just knows saying they don't have Pearl screens will make them loose (maybe only a few) customers, but it would be more honest (which I personally would prefer).

Eventually someone will do what he says and compare Pocketbook's products with Kindle's, Sony's etc. I'm beginning to wonder about those Pearl screens though...Only element of comparing we have is Kindle 2/DX vs Kindle 3/DXG, the later looking considerably better, but then there's another a thread in the Kindle forum where you it seems Kindle 2i and Kindle 2 don't have the same contrast, when they're supposed to have the same screen. I thought all the screen of the same generation would have the same quality / contrast, but it doesn't seem that simple. Plus it's unclear to me how the better contrast is achieved...Is it on the software side, hardware side, etc.

Sadly it will be hard or impossible for me (here in France), as for most people in fact, to be able to compare a Kindle 3, Sony 650 and Pocketbook 603 side by side. So they can say "well just compare the devices", knowing can't....Or maybe the Pearl screens are not that much better ?
I think he expected that the convincing presentation of the software of their reader would get all the attention of the audience, and he had a hard time hiding his irritation when he realized that the first question was the dreaded one about Pearl.
If they had Pearl I may have bought their large reader. Too bad they do not.
I understand I cannot blame them for that. But if they wanted to convince me they should have bought a new Kindle DX with Pearl to show it side by side with their own readers.
Lbooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 04:07 PM   #17
Lbooker
Addict
Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krischik View Post
Well, the country he was president and is now prime minister is free of liabilities. Unlike most other countries in the world. And after being out of office for a term he could stand for presidency again. And if he did he most likely would to be re-elected.

We[1] in the West might not like him. But that does not matter. All that matters is if he did good for his country. And he did.

Martin

[1] Of course we only belive what the western media tells us to believe.
So you prefer to read the Russian media? Because they are so free?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...lled_in_Russia
Old 09-09-2010, 06:22 PM   #18
Forkosigan
Wizard
Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.

Device: Pocketbook Touch (622)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lbooker View Post
I think he expected that the convincing presentation of the software of their reader would get all the attention of the audience, and he had a hard time hiding his irritation when he realized that the first question was the dreaded one about Pearl.
If they had Pearl I may have bought their large reader. Too bad they do not.
I understand I cannot blame them for that. But if they wanted to convince me they should have bought a new Kindle DX with Pearl to show it side by side with their own readers.
We bought Kindl 3 and compared with the pocketbook 603 ... On standard settings the letters from Kindl 3 a little more black and white screen is the same ... But we have to do a comparative video, it's not a very beautiful form of competition ... The fact that Kindl 3 visible to the eye does not improve the contrast of 50% should be said after comparing someone not related to the pocketbook.
Forkosigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 03:01 AM   #19
Lbooker
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forkosigan View Post
We bought Kindl 3 and compared with the pocketbook 603 ... On standard settings the letters from Kindl 3 a little more black and white screen is the same ... But we have to do a comparative video, it's not a very beautiful form of competition ... The fact that Kindl 3 visible to the eye does not improve the contrast of 50% should be said after comparing someone not related to the pocketbook.
Where is your video? It should take five minutes to put it on youtube.

Last edited by Lbooker; 09-10-2010 at 03:03 AM.
Old 09-10-2010, 03:45 AM   #20
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
On standard settings the letters from Kindl 3 a little more black and white screen is the same ...
When you do video, DO select the font for PocketBook device very carefully. Caecilia font that Kindle uses enhances the perception of blackness of the text. When I tried Caecilia bold on my PocketBook the text did look more black.
It would be the best if you prepared some bitmaps and show them side-by-side.

I am not trying to say that it is ALL due to careful font selection, because the new screens are better. The question is how much better they are.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 12:32 PM   #21
krish
Connoisseur
krish began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 302, Kindle 3(Wifi), Sony PRS-950
Quote:
Where is your video? It should take five minutes to put it on youtube.
I think he mean he/someone from pocketbook cannot put such comparison video with competitor's product and this has to be done by someone outside pocketbook.
krish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 01:58 PM   #22
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by krish View Post
I think he mean he/someone from pocketbook cannot put such comparison video with competitor's product ...
Exactly.
Quote:
... it's not a very beautiful form of competition ...
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 02:14 PM   #23
krischik
Addict
krischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheese

Device: P990i, PRS 505
Quote:
So you prefer to read the Russian media? Because they are so free?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...lled_in_Russia
No we are always lied at - west or east it does not matter. Even the wikipedia article show it - the headings are sorted the presidents in office. What for? To imply there involvement?

I could say more but we are .
krischik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 04:50 PM   #24
Lbooker
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
Exactly.
Cry me a river!
What a bunch of hypocrites!
Old 09-10-2010, 04:53 PM   #25
Lbooker
Addict

Quote:
No we are always lied at - west or east it does not matter. Even the wikipedia article show it - the headings are sorted the presidents in office. What for? To imply there involvement?

I could say more but we are .
As if they were not involved! As if THEY were the victims!
You don't say more because you are ashamed of what you would write.
Old 09-11-2010, 01:38 AM   #26
krischik
Addict
krischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheese

Quote:
You don't say more because you are ashamed of what you would write.
If you read some of my Slashdot posts you would know that this is not true. Heck, the fact that I don't use a pseudonym on slashdot is enough to prove that this acquisitions is untrue.

Martin
Old 09-12-2010, 11:35 AM   #27
beachwanderer
-
beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Some
Quote:
Cry me a river!
What a bunch of hypocrites!
Well, well, in the EU (e.g. under german commercial law) comparative advertising is reglemented and anyone using it runs on knifes edge. Can be quite costly if one doesn't step carefully. So it's rather easy to criticize, if one doesn't have to shoulder the risc. Though it could be done.

Someone else will eventually do the comparison alright.
beachwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 05:51 PM   #28
Lbooker
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachwanderer View Post
Well, well, in the EU (e.g. under german commercial law) comparative advertising is reglemented and anyone using it runs on knifes edge. Can be quite costly if one doesn't step carefully. So it's rather easy to criticize, if one doesn't have to shoulder the risc. Though it could be done.

Someone else will eventually do the comparison alright.
There are countless videos on youtube of readers side by side, and I never heard of a company sued for such a video. Let us be realistic!
Old 09-13-2010, 02:05 AM   #29
krischik
Addict

Quote:
There are countless videos on youtube of readers side by side, and I never heard of a company sued for such a video. Let us be realistic!
Are they issued from a German based company?
Are they issued by one of the companies compared at all?
Are they advertised (by link or so) by one of the companies compared?

For all the videos I have seen the answer is NO on all accounts. All the videos I have found have been made by enthusiasts not affiliated with the products shown and being ignored by the companies who's products are shown.
Old 09-13-2010, 08:25 AM   #30
Lbooker
Addict

Quote:
Are they issued from a German based company?
Are they issued by one of the companies compared at all?
Are they advertised (by link or so) by one of the companies compared?

For all the videos I have seen the answer is NO on all accounts. All the videos I have found have been made by enthusiasts not affiliated with the products shown and being ignored by the companies who's products are shown.
As if secret services would track an anonymous video on youtube comparing two readers!
You are so funny!

Tags
pocketbook