Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-20-2008, 09:44 AM   #16
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfergirl View Post
(And reading the Odyssey has also given me the kick up the backside I needed to start trying to learn Latin, which I've wanted to do for years!)
Er, the Odyssey is written in Greek .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 10:49 AM   #17
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
I've read some classics (even "modern" classics) I probably wouldn't have bothered to buy... and more important, I've read them in the original language (English, French, Italian), which would have been harder to get in paper.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2008, 11:02 AM   #18
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Actually, my reading world has diminished in the past year since getting my EB-1150. One particular genre I used to enjoy is travel books, such as Fodor's, Rick Steves, etc. They do not translate well at all to ebook. And I can't read the pbooks anymore because my eyes can't see their fine print. (Travel guides try to lighten the weight by putting tiny print onto fewer pages.)

So that type of reading has passed entirely out of my life, and I miss it very much.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 11:03 AM   #19
carandol
Evangelist
carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Er, the Odyssey is written in Greek .
Leave the girl alone. When I read "2001: Space Odyssey", it made me want to learn C++.
carandol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 11:04 AM   #20
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by carandol View Post
Leave the girl alone. When I read "2001: Space Odyssey", it made me want to learn C++.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2008, 11:05 AM   #21
carandol
Evangelist
carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
Actually, my reading world has diminished in the past year since getting my EB-1150. One particular genre I used to enjoy is travel books, such as Fodor's, Rick Steves, etc. They do not translate well at all to ebook. And I can't read the pbooks anymore because my eyes can't see their fine print. (Travel guides try to lighten the weight by putting tiny print onto fewer pages.)

So that type of reading has passed entirely out of my life, and I miss it very much.
Are you suggesting the EB-1150 has made your eyesight worse? Or would you have even less you could read without ebooks?
carandol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 11:47 AM   #22
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by carandol View Post
Are you suggesting the EB-1150 has made your eyesight worse? Or would you have even less you could read without ebooks?
No, the reader didn't make my eyesight worse. It's the only way I can read anything at all now, except via desktop PC. I'm saying that my choice of reading material has been reduced because I can only read text on my reader, and that is only after blowing the font up to 3 or 4 words per line. Anything with photos or drawings will not work on my reader at all.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 12:35 PM   #23
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
It has certainly widened my world in more way than one -
I have bought more "books" in the past 6 months than I did in the previous 10 years ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 01:04 PM   #24
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
As Ned very rightly says, it works both ways. Although there are many modern books which aren't available as eBooks, it's equally true that there are huge numbers of eBooks which are long out of print as printed books.
I reckon my central library has a vaster range of pbooks (in more genres) than the current ebook catalogue.

Non-fiction materials are a major challenge for ebook devices; and I think they're coming up short in that arena.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 01:15 PM   #25
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Oh, definitely. I am reading authors I never would have thought of..........Richard Kadrey, Sir Henry Rider Haggard, Aldous Huxley, Sapper, Doctorow. And, of course, the infamous E M Forster, he of the "Passage to India".

These books are being read on the recommendations of members here, and I'm finding lots of new worlds to explore.
I would say the same thing. But I think that is the direct result of interacting with a community of readers that you didn't previously belong to. Had you had similar interactions with the same group of people the same thing would have resulted even if you were reading the books in paper back.

Although this is an indirect result of your getting an ebook reader since you sought out this community as a direct result of getting the device.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 01:19 PM   #26
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
I would say I am also able to answer more of the literature questions on Jeopardy now. Still not all of them.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 02:15 PM   #27
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
I reckon my central library has a vaster range of pbooks (in more genres) than the current ebook catalogue.

Non-fiction materials are a major challenge for ebook devices; and I think they're coming up short in that arena.
There seem to be plenty in the nature of biographies, philosophy, spiritual, historical and other non-heavily graphic content available. What kind of non-fiction were you thinking about.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 02:22 PM   #28
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
I must admit that being able to read just about anywhere - and have tons of titles at my fingertips without needing a U-Haul trailer to haul them around - has made me branch out into fiction genres I'd never considered before - I've even read westerns for crying out loud!

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 02:43 PM   #29
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
There seem to be plenty in the nature of biographies, philosophy, spiritual, historical and other non-heavily graphic content available. What kind of non-fiction were you thinking about.
I was thinking of the heavily graphical ones .
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 09:27 PM   #30
tech_au
Oz Bookworm
tech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony PRS 505,PRS 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
I must admit that being able to read just about anywhere - and have tons of titles at my fingertips without needing a U-Haul trailer to haul them around - has made me branch out into fiction genres I'd never considered before - I've even read westerns for crying out loud!

Derek
This is the beauty of the ebook reader that I have discovered.Having lots of different books to choose from and being able to read them whether you are in the park or at a cafe.
I must admit I have bought a heap of books while the $AU/$US exchange rate was pretty high and combined with the large number of excellent freebies posted here it makes for a very long books-to be-read queue at present.
tech_au is offline   Reply With Quote