Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-29-2013, 10:50 PM   #76
spersephone
Zealot
spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Voyage
Yeah, but I have a 16GB iPad, and had 5GB free. So I don't know what it was thinking. Oh well, I've got multiple reader apps with some of the same books spread across them all.
spersephone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 11:57 PM   #77
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by spersephone View Post
Yeah, but I have a 16GB iPad, and had 5GB free. So I don't know what it was thinking. Oh well, I've got multiple reader apps with some of the same books spread across them all.
I'm not saying it isn't stupid, I'm just saying that it's not necessarily the Kobo app's fault (more likely Apples fault). Threads below are old, so things may have changed since, but it's what your problem reminded me of.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=178657

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=160416
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-02-2013, 04:20 PM   #78
Sharkus
Evangelist
Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Original, WiFi, Touch, Aura, Aura H20, MiniGloHD ;) iOS app
Hello,
In iOS 5.0, Apple introduced a new system level function that would free up "disk" space if the OS found that there was limited or zero free space on the device.

The OS would then run through the apps, possibly ordered by apps with the largest amount of data and try and purge anything from the Documents folder of that app (Documents being where apps should store any data files. It's the folder you see when you view the "File Sharing" section of an app in iTunes)

Originally there wasn't a way to prevent this, and developers complained about this, as there should be some way for developers to protect the data that users are downloaded from the OS being able to just wipe it out.

This was changed and developers were able to flag a file so it would not be deleted by the OS.

We introduced an option in the settings for the app (as found by going into the Settings app, and then selecting the Kobo item) to allow you to specify how many books were permanently stored. The options are:
All Items
10 Most Recent Items
5 Most Recent Items
My Current Read
No Items

I believe the original implementation had 5 Most Recent Items as the default, but it was changed in later versions to All Items, and that is how it remains, so all your books should be kept.

What this means is that when the OS detects low, or no space left, it will look at the app and realize that the files in there are flagged to not be deleted and it leaves them alone.

I haven't seen books removed by this method unless the option isn't set to All Items. The app does not remove the books either, it's the OS itself that does it.

The only thing I could think of is that the option might not be reporting back it's actual setting, for example, you had the version of the app where this functionality was put it and it was set to "5 most recent items", and through upgrades of the app, it never got updated to the "All Items" option, even though the settings display that as being the default. Therefore, if the free space was low enough, the books could be removed.

What you could try is going into the settings app, then the Kobo item and then Permanently Store option, and toggle it from whatever it is currently configured to use to another option, then set it back to All Items. This should enforce that all books are going to be prevented from deletion.
Sharkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 05:46 PM   #79
spersephone
Zealot
spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have checked, and it was set to store All Items, so I don't know what went weird.
Old 12-02-2013, 07:30 PM   #80
Sharkus
Evangelist
Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spersephone View Post
I have checked, and it was set to store All Items, so I don't know what went weird.
Try switching it to something else, then switch it back to "All Items". If you do see it again, please let me know (send me a private message on here).

As said, that message should only appear if the app detects that the OS has deleted the books, and that should only happen if you don't have enough free space on the device and the app is configured to not keep all / some items.

Out of curiosity, what version of the app do you have? It should be displayed in the Kobo item in the Settings app.
Advert
Old 12-02-2013, 08:20 PM   #81
spersephone
Zealot

It's 6.1. I'll do that and see if it ever does it again. It's the only time it had ever done it.
Old 12-09-2013, 09:09 AM   #82
Sharkus
Evangelist

Exclamation Kobo v6.2 for iOS is now available in the App Store

Kobo v6.2 for iOS is now available in the App Store

What's New
• A powerful new Search feature helps you easily find passages in your books.

• Our new and improved Library Search can search Kobo’s catalogue of millions of eBooks and download free previews.

• Bug fixes and internal system improvements.

Note: This version of the application requires iOS 6.1 or later
Old 01-09-2014, 10:08 AM   #83
Sharkus
Evangelist

Kobo v7.0 for iOS is now available in the App Store

Kobo v7.0 for iOS is now available in the App Store

What's New
1. A fresh, new look designed especially for iOS 7.
2. Brand-new navigation menu.
3. Redesigned Library.
4. Better methods to create, organize, and edit your collections.
5. Improved menus for night-time reading.
6. Consistent navigation for iPhone and iPad apps.

Note: This version of the application requires iOS 7.0 or later. If you do not have iOS 7 then you are still able to continue to use, or download (if you do not have it) version 6.2 of the application
Old 01-09-2014, 03:28 PM   #84
holymadness
Guru
holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
Does this new version support 2-column reading in landscape for iPad?
holymadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 04:09 PM   #85
Sharkus
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by holymadness View Post
Does this new version support 2-column reading in landscape for iPad?
Hello,
No, v7.0 does not have two column mode in landscape orientation.
Old 01-09-2014, 04:32 PM   #86
holymadness
Guru
holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Please pass on my wish that this feature be implemented to your development team. I am actively discouraging friends and family members from using Kobo for iPad because of its absence.

I recently bought a family member an iPad Mini to replace a defunct Blackberry Playbook and we were scandalized to learn that the iOS app didn't have 2-column reading like the Playbook app. She now uses iBooks.

Last edited by holymadness; 01-09-2014 at 04:49 PM.
Old 01-09-2014, 09:24 PM   #87
49Kat
Fanatic
49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 9th Gen, iPhone 11, Paperwhite 10th Gen.
Hi Sharkus!

Please look here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=231063

So is that bar at the bottom of each book supposed to indicate reading progress? Because it looked like a download progress bar and it sure had me fuming...maybe unnecessarily...?
49Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 10:19 PM   #88
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49Kat View Post

So is that bar at the bottom of each book supposed to indicate reading progress? Because it looked like a download progress bar and it sure had me fuming...maybe unnecessarily...?
Looking at this on my iPad, yes, the progress bar is the reading progress. For books that have not been downloaded, there is a arrow pointing down over the cover. When I tap that, it changes to the pause icon. Tapping that stops the download and displays the arrow again.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 11:22 AM   #89
Sharkus
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49Kat View Post
Hi Sharkus!

Please look here:

Looked, and replied
Yes, post download it is a progress bar. I believe the Android app, and possibly eInk devices also display this for progress, so it was done to try and maintain parity of features / display elements across the brand.

If people DO have issues with the new update, please let me know, there is an in-app feedback option, or send me a message on here. I cannot promise anything, be it a response or resolution, but you never know
Old 01-11-2014, 12:28 PM   #90
holymadness
Guru

Another persistent error that myself and family members have experienced on Kobo for iOS:

We download a free sample of a book through the app, enjoy it, and head to the website to purchase the full version. However, the book does not update to the full version on the iOS app, even if you force-quit and restart it. Instead, getting the full book into your library requires following this ridiculously convoluted ritual (courtesy of Kobo tech support):

Quote:
In order to re-add the eBook to your library, you would be required to bookmark it, then sync your library. The steps to bookmark the book are listed below:
1. Delete the book from your device.
2. Using a Web browser, visit the Kobo website (www.kobobooks.com).
3. Sign in to your Kobo account using your username and password
4. Click My Library.
5. Click Purchased.
6. Find the book and click the checkbox beside it.
7. Click Bookmark.
8. Say yes to the question about bookmarking page 1.
9. Sync your eReader or Kobo app.
Another reason why I just don't use the app anymore and try to tell others to avoid it as well. I'd strongly suggest your development team make seamless synchronizing a priority for future updates.