Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-07-2010, 05:51 PM   #1
sammy12
sammy12
sammy12 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony prs-600
web browser capabilities

I keep hearing rumours that the 900 will one day have an upgrade to make it also function as a web browser. I doubt that anybody but Sony can confirm this even though in talking to help desk they said that Sony might do the update in the future. I guess he used the term might so that doesn't indicate Sony will actually follow through. Anybody have any insight or speculations as to whether this will ever happen.
sammy12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 05:09 PM   #2
rblover69
rblover69 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS900BC
im waiting for these firmware modders to incorporate a Kindle based web browser , it would be awesome i mean there is a app section on the 900 i see why not we cannto get FB or Twtter integreation or something of the sort.
rblover69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-09-2010, 10:02 AM   #3
jcatl
Enthusiast
jcatl began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-900
I'm not sure why I'd use an inferior device for browsing the web or FB. Keep in mind this might increase what Sony has to pay for the 3G access of these devices since people would be using it (presumably) for more than shopping at Sony's bookstore, which is the one and only thing you can do with the 3G at this point. From what I've read Sony rarely releases firmware upgrades or even fixes for their e-readers.
jcatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 10:06 AM   #4
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
I have never used an e-ink device for browsing the web - yet, somehow, I suspect it wouldn't be a great experience. The screen is too slow, after all.

Also, the 3G connection is a big issue. I mean, the way it is set up, with a free connection, I am sure could not support browsing the web - I am sure they cannot offer you a free connection while allowing for the download of large quantity of data. They would have to come up with a new pricing plan as well.

In short... it would be nice, but I wouldn't hold my breath... I don't think it will ever happen, frankly.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 11:30 AM   #5
rblover69
rblover69 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS900BC
Kindle has a free connection and it has a web browser so those doubts are smashed, as far as a "inferior device" theres nothing wrong with being able to see your FB in a widget or take for instance have the ability share on your social sites that you are currently reading a certain book.
rblover69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-10-2010, 09:31 AM   #6
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
The Store interface in PRS-900 does use a web browser (based on WebKit), but I don't expect Sony to allow browsing anything else besides the shop.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 11:20 AM   #7
sammy12
sammy12
sammy12 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony prs-600
just checking webmail

I certainly would like to have ability to go to hot spots at airports, hotels, coffee shops etc. when I'm away from my computer and with my trusty 900 alongside me for reading be also able to check my email for free rather than going to a charging internet access building.
sammy12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 11:48 AM   #8
jcatl
Enthusiast
jcatl began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-900
But that's just it. Sony built the price of the 3G into the device in hopes that they would recoup those costs when you purchase items from their store. So, it's not "free" in any sense. I'd be shocked if Sony opens up already released readers to using the 3G for anything but shopping on Sony's store.
jcatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 01:23 PM   #9
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
Like most everyone else seems to think, I'd be surprised if they came out with an update, especially one of that magnitude. There are, in my opinion, a bunch of other things they could also release in an update so it would be nice to see something. I don't think it will happen though, I'm betting on a new device that has the fixes/changes/updates from the old one. After all, why give them away for free when they can get you to buy a whole new device
dsvick is offline   Reply With Quote