Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-15-2009, 12:04 AM   #1
taglines
Banned
taglines has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.taglines has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.taglines has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.taglines has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: nook
Exclamation Why Don't Agents Want to Play? Amazon Flies Agents to Seattle to Find Out

A NYC literary agent and ebook pioneer publiishing maverick explains it all from the POV of a seasoned book agent.

http://www.ereads.com/richard_curtis...ay-amazon.html

Last week Amazon flew a dozen top New York book agents to Seattle. The purpose was to debrief their attitudes towards e-books in general and Kindle in particular. ....

I could have saved Amazon all that money. I've known for 10 years what's been holding agents back from plunging into e-book pool, and in fact I can tell it to you in one word: ...........advances.

The agents have been waiting for something they can identify with the traditional business model. And advances are as traditional as Thanksgiving turkeys.

Who can blame the agents for being standoffish? Picture a agent like Lynn Nesbit or Bob Gottlieb calling an author to say "I have great news for you! I've made a deal for e-book rights to your new book plus half a dozen of your old ones!" And you say "Great! What are they paying?" And they say "Um, nothing, actually." Oh, that's really going to bind them to their clients!

MORE at link:
taglines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 01:29 AM   #2
MaggieScratch
Has got to the black veil
MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle Paperwhite 2
What does Amazon have to do with advances? In the current paradigm, Amazon is the retailer. Retailers don't pay advances or royalties, publishers do.

Amazon is trying to get the agents on their side to play hardball with the publishers, I suspect. They want the agents to treat ebooks like real books, which they are.

Last edited by MaggieScratch; 11-15-2009 at 01:35 AM. Reason: dumb mistake
MaggieScratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-15-2009, 05:05 AM   #3
mikaelalind
Fanatic
mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, Cybook Odessey
Quote:
Originally Posted by taglines View Post
A NYC literary agent and ebook pioneer publiishing maverick explains it all from the POV of a seasoned book agent.

http://www.ereads.com/richard_curtis...ay-amazon.html

Who can blame the agents for being standoffish? Picture a agent like Lynn Nesbit or Bob Gottlieb calling an author to say "I have great news for you! I've made a deal for e-book rights to your new book plus half a dozen of your old ones!" And you say "Great! What are they paying?" And they say "Um, nothing, actually." Oh, that's really going to bind them to their clients!

MORE at link:
Agents wouldn't do that, and Kristin Nelson explains why at her blog
mikaelalind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 06:15 AM   #4
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Agents; as useful as a concrete hat.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 08:55 PM   #5
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
Maybe I'm just out of the loop, but I don't see a specific connection between ebooks and advances.

At the moment, it seems that ebook rights are part and parcel with the rest of the contract. You get signed, the publisher says "we'll do paper and ebooks," and the author gets the same advance. Or is Curtis (or the authors) expecting an additional advance for ebook rights?
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-15-2009, 09:02 PM   #6
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
Yep, I've refused to sell two short stories now because of overbroad clutching at the rights. The confusion when I didn't blindly sign my rights over was amusing, especially since we were talking very small amounts.

(They're out there now, but I won't link em because they're tied to my RL identity, which I keep seperate for a reason)
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 07:54 AM   #7
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnFalcon View Post

(They're out there now, but I won't link em because they're tied to my RL identity, which I keep seperate for a reason)
International spy? MI5 Whistleblower? MP?
Old 11-16-2009, 07:56 AM   #8
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Paranoia.
Old 11-16-2009, 07:58 AM   #9
Moejoe
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnFalcon View Post
Paranoia.
One of my multiple personalities is paranoid...or am I?
Old 11-16-2009, 10:50 AM   #10
MaggieScratch
MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean everyone isn't out to get you.
Old 11-16-2009, 11:42 AM   #11
DawnFalcon
Banned

Especially on the internets.
Old 11-16-2009, 01:10 PM   #12
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Around here, people knowing would be more willing to help you, than hurt you.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 04:40 PM   #13
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
So is Amazon trying to drag the neanderthals out of the cave? (well in all fairness neanderthals didn't have printing presses).

Good luck with that!
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 04:48 PM   #14
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Please pardon my ignorance but do authors typically get advances for every printing of their books? e.g. From hardback to paperback or additional paperback printings of back catalog titles.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 05:33 PM   #15
MaggieScratch

No. I think what he is saying is that authors need to be compensated for their ebooks in the initial advance if the publishers want electronic rights included in the deal (which it seems they do now).

Previously, agents saw that not a lot of revenue was being generated from ebooks and allowed it to be a throw-in on the deal. Richard Curtis is warning that agents need to understand that in the future, ebooks will generate a larger percentage of the money in the deal and agents need to structure the book deal to reflect that, whether on the front end (the advance) or the back end (ebook-specific royalty rates). Most agents will agitate for the money upfront as they make a percentage.

I know this kind of goes against what I wrote previously, but I've thought on it further now. I do wish Mr. Curtis had been clearer in his post.