Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-06-2009, 08:45 PM   #1
shrktank
Connoisseur
shrktank has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony 650,Nook Color and iPad
Few questions before final purchase

Just about ready to order a Sony ereader but I have two or three more questions:

1. Are the colors applied to the cases done where they will not peel or scratch off through time?

2. Can either of them play audiobooks?

3. I hate the internet as any slight problem some people have tends to be blown out of proportion in relation to how many enjoy the device. My understanding is the 300 has fantastic contrast, rivaling the 505 and out performing the Kindle. I keep hearing to the point where one would think the 600 is not even readable. I just want to make sure from some one who has a 600 that the contrast and glare issue is not as bad as the internet hype is making it sound.

4. How much difference does the 1inch in size difference make? Is it more like reading a book on the iphone or is it manageable. I would assume I would be using the L font. If this is the case how much more text or less text would I see on each page.

I want to thank you all for your wonderful knowledge and I look forward to feeding my found knowledge once I get one of these readers
shrktank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 08:51 PM   #2
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
I can only answer two. I have a blue 505 and the color is actually embedded (can't think of a better way to describe it). I chipped my reader (chunk off the corner) and the color goes all the way through. So no, it won't wear off.

The 300 does not have audio capabilities, but the 600 does. I recommend just getting a cheap MP3 player for audiobooks though. Audio will drain the Reader quickly, and it's not going to be the most optimal player. Although I know some who love this feature.

As for the 600, it seems like it's one of those things you have to judge for yourself. If you don't have the opportunity to check it out in person, and the 300 sounds good to you, then just get the 600.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2009, 09:11 PM   #3
shrktank
Connoisseur
shrktank has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony 650,Nook Color and iPad
Thanks for your quick response.

I am going with the 600. Just looking at the specs the 600 is less than a inch longer and wider, but the extra inch of screen and the dictionary and such makes it worth while.

Now I just need to decide between the silver and the black. Will have to check out some pictures of them.

Do you know if the Sony case folds flat? I had a medge case for my former Kindle and the darn thing added about an inch to the thickness causing it to be very difficult to hold.

I see m-edge has the 550 case for under 15.00 so thinking of that one but I think it does not fold flat.
shrktank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 09:32 PM   #4
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
I'll answer the best I can.

1. Are the colors applied to the cases done where they will not peel or scratch off through time? I believe the colors are baked into the metal/plastic casing. The colors don't seem to fade/peel/scratch over time.

2. Can either of them play audiobooks? Not sure about the 600 as I haven't tried it but I know for sure the 300 will not play audio books.

3. I hate the internet as any slight problem some people have tends to be blown out of proportion in relation to how many enjoy the device. My understanding is the 300 has fantastic contrast, rivaling the 505 and out performing the Kindle. I keep hearing to the point where one would think the 600 is not even readable. I just want to make sure from some one who has a 600 that the contrast and glare issue is not as bad as the internet hype is making it sound. I, for one, do not think the contrast is as bad as some make it out to be. Granted the 600 contrast is not as good as the 505 or 300 but it is definitely readable. As with any e-ink device the less light you have the less readable it becomes. With the 600 you just have to make sure you have adequate lighting conditions. The contrast differences are subjective based upon each individual user and what they are willing to accept.

4. How much difference does the 1inch in size difference make? Is it more like reading a book on the iphone or is it manageable. I would assume I would be using the L font. If this is the case how much more text or less text would I see on each page. From what I've heard, on the small text size it is a matter of a few less lines of text per screen. I imagine it would be much better than reading on an iphone. The font sized you use would depend on the book, but I see the 5" as a very readable device.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 10:43 PM   #5
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
Just to add a few details: The 300 uses the same text size as the 505 (and, I assume, the 600) for a given book. There's about 5/6 as many characters/line and lines/screen for the 300 as compared to the 505. (Yes, I counted!) That's about 2/3 of the text as a 505/600 screen will show.

The experience is very much like reading a book as opposed toan iphone/blackberry. Similar reading experience as with the 6" 505 (and 600), maybe a few more page turns. But the slightly shorter lines reduce side-to-side scanning too. I'm not sure if this makes reading more comfortable than on the bigger screen, but definitely not less comfortable! (Disclaimer: I also own and like the 505 a lot; didn't want touchscreen/dictionary, so passed on the 600.)

I took the 300 to the beach today. Fit easily in my bathing suit pocket, and kept me occupied on the subway and on the sand!
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2009, 06:41 AM   #6
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Voyage, Oasis, Paperwhite & PRS-650
Sony readers nor Walkman will play Audible files. I think most people who use the audio feature on the readers do so for soft reading music only. I often listen to music when I read and have found it to be a nice feature, although, it will reduce battery charge.
SolRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 08:26 AM   #7
dura
Groupie
dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O (2th edition), Kindle PW11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMoze View Post

I took the 300 to the beach today. Fit easily in my bathing suit pocket, and kept me occupied on the subway and on the sand!
completely off topic, but I'm trying to imagine a bathing suit with a pocket large enough for the PRS300.

On topic: I think it is interesting DrMoze points out that, despite the 300 and the 600 having the same 800x600 resolution, the actual font size is the same.
This means as the good doctor points out that the screen content of the 300 is 5/6, but this seems to mean that character is made up out of more pixels, theoretically giving a smoother front. Is that right and, if yes, is the difference visible?
dura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 09:11 AM   #8
nremondelli
Zealot
nremondelli is on a distinguished road

Device: none
I have a 300 and a Kindle and am trying to decide which one to keep. At first I bought the 300 because I loved the contrast of the 505s and thought it was a great improvement over my Kindle 2. My first impression after opening the 300's box was that it was tiny! I have been using it a few days, but the contrast is pretty much the same with the Kindle font hack enabled. I think the 300 has way better build quality, is smaller and more solid. Some of my Kindle buttons click and make a loud audible noise that bother my sleeping wife, and some are silent. Not with the Sony.

Readability to a Kindle is about the same. It seems like Sony uses a lighter background which makes it appear that the contrast is better.

I still haven't decided which to keep yet but hopefully that helps.
nremondelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 11:52 PM   #9
Journier
Groupie
Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Oasis
I just got an m-edge in the mail which I ordered for my 600 I am waiting for. Until then, I slipped my 505 into it. The m-edge does fold back easily although, it does like to lie flat. I like the m-edge. It is thicker and adds wieght, but it really pads your reader if you drop it. Also, I have a mighty bright which easily clips to the back cover when folded back. The strap slips into the cover in the folded back position as well. It keeps the strap out of the way and secures the cover in place while it's folded back. The m-edge is very elegant btw and has a nice feel and smell to it as well.
Journier is offline   Reply With Quote